PDA

View Full Version : Terrible clunking noise when shifting

jerebus67
05-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I just bought a 69 RS SS 350 camaro with a M20. It is the original tranny and rearend but within the last couple of years has been totally gone through and rebuilt. There is a terrible clunking noise when shifting in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. (ok in 4th)
One garage said they just thought it was body flex but there is no way this is body flex. Any ideas on what it could be? Everything is tight underneath. Everything is brand new underneath.

What other info can i supply to help?

Damn True
05-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Could be a couple of things.
Excess play between ring/pinion.
Buggered trans mount
Buggered engine mount

I'd check those things first.

astroracer
05-08-2006, 10:45 AM
U Joints?

andrewb70
05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Another vote for checking the U-joints.

Andrew

mikesz
05-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Frame rotted around the body mount bushings?:eek: The bolts would be tight but if the frame is rotted it could be moving. Leaf spring eye bushings? Go around with a prybar and see what moves.

Does the noise happen when you move the grear shift leaver or when you let out the clutch and actually apply torque? If its the former you might have a bad clutch, mal-adjusted clutch, or bad transmission. If its the latter it could be anything.

Mike

CAMAROBOY69
05-08-2006, 12:35 PM
U-joints or loose tranny mounts. Leave the car in gear then try rotate the driveshaft. If there is any play at all replace the joints.
Also check the bolts that go to the tranny. I used to have a really bad knocking noise on my 67 Chevy truck that I thought was my engine mains. Later I found out the tranny was slapping against the back of the block from being so loose!! :rolleyes:

jerebus67
05-13-2006, 12:44 PM
The noise happens when I let out the clutch and apply torque. It sounds like it is in the rear of the car though. I have had it at 2 shops and although I dont know how hard they have looked but they have just tightened the ubolts they cant find out what is wrong. It sounds really bad. Sounds like the whole body is flexing.
I am bringing it into a transmission place next week. Any other suggestions?

andrewb70
05-13-2006, 01:06 PM
If they keep tightening the u-joints all that is going to do is lead to premature u-joint failure.

It could very well be a broken drivers side motor mount.

Andrew

jerebus67
05-15-2006, 06:29 AM
The noise is definatley in the mid to rear part of the car. I dont think it is a motor mount. Going into the shop tomorrow. Wow what a pain.

CAMAROBOY69
05-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Did you check everything we mentioned? Crossmember bolts, tranny to engine block bolts, leaf spring I hole bolts, all the bla bla we mentioned?

jerebus67
11-07-2006, 11:49 AM
The person who restored it didnt put the rubber inbetween the leafs and the rearend. Problem solved for pretty cheap so I am happy!!