PDA

View Full Version : MINI-STARTER Question

bingham72
05-08-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm in need of a new starter and was looking at one of those mini-super-lite-weight-more-money-than-I-need-to-spend-just-because-it's-my-birthday-jobbies.

Super cool, but all only have 2 terminals. My '72 vette has 3 terminals. I spoke with the PowerMaster guy at the YOE and he said I could simply tape off the 3rd wire IF I had converted to electronic ignition. SO I have 2 questions.

1. I have purchased the Crane XRi-1 points conversion. Do I no longer need that 3rd wire? If I still need the 3rd wire, is there a mini-starter with 3 terminals?
2. With the conversion, is there a resisitor somewhere that needs to be taken out of line?

I vaguely remember where the ignition resitor is on my old Camaro but I have no clue where it would be on my vette.

Thanks in advance!

Carver67
06-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Sorry so long on the reply. You may already have the answer. The third terminal on the starter solenoids was to jump 12 volt power to the coil while starting the points style ignition system. The in line resistor steps power down to about 6 volts so this brief increase gave greater starting spark. If you are still running the "old" style coil with your ignition then I'm not sure how you would be able to get the required voltage increase.
Sorry, I know this is only half the answer you're looking for.:guilty:

errr... I meant 9 volts (thanks for the correction Madspeed)

Madspeed
06-26-2006, 04:49 PM
The rest of the answer is that the resistor is the wire itself.
Tape it off and run a new wire directly from the fusebox.
Find a power source that is hot during the run position start position only and not hot during the acsessory position.
You should find some spots that you can plug in a female connector,
they might even still be marked.
You need 12 volts to your new system anyways
Oh and the resistor drops the voltage to about 9vlts =)

If you need further assistance PM me I can help =)

Ken F

protouring70
06-27-2006, 05:06 AM
Afriend of mine worked at a junkyard and says that the starters off of the Tahoe's and trucks are the same mini torque starters.
Plus they are a lot cheaper!!

rocketman
06-27-2006, 08:38 AM
a cheap mini starter is a 96 corvette starter you can pick them at any auto part store.I use them on all my sbc stuff.should work on a bbc too