PDA

View Full Version : Sanderson Headers Question

67RSSS502
10-17-2004, 01:27 PM
I was working on my car today and thought I would put the headers on just to check the fit on the drivers side at least..... My friend and I spent at least an hour trying to get the driver's side in place but no matter what we do it always seems to come in contact with the steering box. The car has a 502 and the stock power steering gear and the headers are the Sanderson BB2s.... Anyone have any similair experiences as I am hoping I do not have to ding these to get them to fit since they are coated already....

Thanks!
Dion
67RSSS502

MrQuick
10-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Hey Dion, did you call down there and ask em if you need a different drivers side?How much room do you think you need? 1/8",1/4". Also make sure you have the right motor mounts.
I had to modify my steering box to fit with out dinging the headers, To fit the headers in with out the box, remove the box and drop it down then install the header.You can grind a bit to get the header to fit right.I ended up contouring the side of my box to get a consistant 1/4" clearance around one of the primary tubes. I hacked up a junk box to see how much room I had before I was gonna need JB weld.At the point of contact I had a thickness of 7/16" and the thinnest(sp) point was 3/8" so there is plenty of room to work with.

67RSSS502
10-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Hi Vince,
I'll have to check on the motor mounts to see.... any insights on the easiest way to do that? While I did not measure it looks like I need over a 1/4" for sure. When I ordered the headers they asked me what steering gear I was running to make sure the headers would fit.... I am going to call them in the morning and see, as I was kinda hoping they shipped me the wrong one(s) for my application, but I had a sinking feeling I had to do some cutting or something to make things fit.

Thanks!
Dion
67RSSS502

67RSSS502
10-18-2004, 03:54 PM
So I called Sanderson's today and talked to the guy who actually designed the BB2 headers. He tells me that if I have the correct BBC motor mounts in the car the headers should not come in contact with the steering box at all. He told me if I ordered part # EP-7 and UR-21 from Rick's that my headers would clear, guaranteed. (He also tells me he gets a call like mine about once a month...hence the reason he knows the part #s from Ricks) Can anyone else confirm this for me, as I want to order these, but.... I would like someone to confirm this for me first if at all possible?

Thanks!
Dion
67RSSS502

MrQuick
10-18-2004, 11:53 PM
I can't confirm but you could measure the mounts you have (frame flat to mount hole) and try to get someone at Ricks to put the 2 together and see if you come up with the same measurment.

67RSSS502
10-20-2004, 03:09 PM
I talked to the guys @ Ricks and they are going to try to measure for me, but.... the two I talked to both felt that the bbc motor mounts may not fix the problem as header clearance for the bb vs the steering gear is common. I know someone else on here has to have a bbc and I am hoping the Sanderson BB2s in his or her car... do you sneak by the steering gear or not? please help....

thanks!
Dion
67RSSS502

67RSSS502
01-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Well I finally was able to spend some quality time with my car yesterday and one of the things I checked was the new "correct" bbc motor mounts for my Camaro vs what is currently in the car. I made these measurements about 10 times to make sure I had the right info and this is what I found:

current drivers side frame mount the distance from the flange to the center of the bolt hole for the motor mount is 1 7/8"

current pass side frame mount he distance from the flange to the center of the bolt hole for the motor mount is 2 1/8"

new bbc drivers side frame mount the distance from the flange to the center of the bolt hole for the motor mount is 2 1/8"

new bbc pass side frame mount the distance from the flange to the center of the bolt hole for the motor mount is 1 7/8"

To me it looks like the mounts in the car were installed backwards? So the offset they are supposed to provide actually made the distance between the block and steering box even worse. So if I put the mounts on properly, I should in effect move the motor over twice the distance? ( i.e. supposed to be offset to passenger side by 1/4", and the current install has the motor moved over towards the driver's side by 1/4". So installing properly should move things over towards pass side by 1/2"??) Can somebody take a look at this and confirm my thought process, as I want to be 110% sure before I lift the motor up.

Thanks!

Dion
67RSSS502

67RSSS502
01-03-2005, 06:09 PM
anyone have any thoughts on my last post after measuring the mounts in the car currently vs the new ones from Ricks?

rsk68
01-03-2005, 08:22 PM
BB mounts do move the motor over to the pasenger side and you can only mount them one way, they are not reversable on my 68 but not sure on a 67 I would save myself the headache and order the BB mounts, it could be someone modified your mounts to be reversable
to do this they would have to remove the flange that hangs over the back side of the cross member, by removing these flanges I wonder if that has weekened the mounts?

RSK68
Rick Klein

ProdigyCustoms
01-04-2005, 08:27 AM
I have never used Sanderson headers, but I have install a zillion sets on BB Camaros, and always have to ding a tube here or there for clearance, except oddly enough, for the Hooker big tube Super Comps.
I use a rag over the tube, then a large 15/16 or so impact socket and a BFH. With one holding the socket over the rag over the tube with a extension bar (the dumb one), and the smart one with the hammer, one swift hit will make a nice smooth ding that looks like it belongs there without hurting the coating. it is only when the hammer misses the socket that the swearing begins.

Bill Howell
01-04-2005, 03:59 PM
and a BFH... it is only when the hammer misses the socket that the swearing begins.

Hey,I think I use that same type hammer(BF) and get those same reactions here in Tn when we are framing houses and I miss the nail. :injured: :lmao: