PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fan vs. Mechanical

TheRoaringEagle
10-17-2004, 10:04 AM
I want to rip out my mechanical fan. I just do. And I wanted to know what fans are reliable and how much cfm will do the job of cooling a 400 bored .060 over.

What setups are run here? Fan switches, fans, and radiators? Go cheap!

MStennes
10-17-2004, 11:43 AM
I ran a Lincoln Mark 8 fan up untill my last rebuild this summer and did not have the room and went with a Taurus 2 speed fan this time and it has worked fine so far. I used a on at 195 of at 180 themostat switch, with a bacup manual override. You will need a 75 amp relay mine is a Bosch unit and 10 gauge wire to power it all up (fan) the relay wires will be smaller of coarse.
Good luck!
Mike :icon996:

MStennes
10-17-2004, 11:43 AM
I ran a Lincoln Mark 8 fan up untill my last rebuild this summer and did not have the room and went with a Taurus 2 speed fan this time and it has worked fine so far. I used a on at 195 of at 180 themostat switch, with a back up manual override. You will need a 75 amp relay mine is a Bosch unit and 10 gauge wire to power it all up (fan) the relay wires will be smaller of coarse.
Good luck!
Mike :icon996:

CAMAROBOY69
10-18-2004, 06:35 AM
Another thumbs up for the Lincoln Mark 8 fan wil do it all!! Got me thru endless hours of CHicago traffic on the end of the Power tour. Also a trip to Woodward. Very affordable fan!!!! Last I heard only around $170 :icon996: Jody has all the details.

gmachinz
10-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Count 'em-THREE thumbs up for the Mark VIII fan! I use a HD Hella 70-amp relay (about $28-30 bucks) and the fan I scored off Ebay for $130-new. Make sure your alternator is up to the task, though. I'd recommend at least 120-amps and stay away from one-wire alts, too. Oh, and make sure you run at least a 40-amp fuse inline between your alt. junction and the #30 pin on the relay. I'm working on a GP right now with a progressive controller from DC Controls but the interest is more lacking than I had anticipated. -Jabin

sanddan
10-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Why not use a 1 wire Alt? I already have one new in the box from a previous project that I was planning on using. The 2 main electrical loads I will have are the cooling fans and fuel pump. Any feed back would be great.