PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Drive Kits

TheRoaringEagle
10-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Who has converted their old small block to a serpentine setup? I've looked at Vintage Air Front Runners and can't find a price. Does it cost a lot more than the GMPP Delux Serpentine Kit found at Summit? (~600)

I'd probably need a new Alt and PS Pump.

JamesD
10-17-2004, 10:01 AM
the VA setup looks awsome and is really small, plus you get to use the new style ac compressor and PS pump, although it does cost around $2,000

TheRoaringEagle
10-17-2004, 10:12 AM
2,000!!!
That really made my heart stop and I'm only 21.
I guess I'm going to have to wait for the GMPP Delux. I thought 600 bucks would hurt!

in2protour
10-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Tommy Lau - pictures (http://imageevent.com/ls1z28/tommyscar?n=0)

RoaringEagle, check my link to see the GM Sepentine Belt System hooked up on my Crate motor. Enjoy!

baz67
10-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Well not that it is any better, but the new DSE cat has the front runner for around 1550.
Brian

JamesD
10-17-2004, 08:39 PM
i have the gm serpentine setup(off a third gen camaro) it may not look at trick as the VA one, but it works great. i would never go back to v belts.

mdprovee
10-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Try March Performance, I have thier system for A/C, power steering and Alt. All brackets and Pulleys for about $800.

Mike

TheRoaringEagle
10-18-2004, 11:43 AM
I think the GMPP kit is the way to go. Tommy Lau your Camaro is VERY fresh. Did you buy the kit that came with the A/C compressor? What additional items did you need to buy and install to get it fully running? Thanks for the pictures!

in2protour
10-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I bought the kit without AC, later, I decided to add vintage AC, the compressor ended up costing more than if I would of bought the kit with the compressor. The additional things I bought for the engine were a reverse flow Edelbrock water pump, stainless steel fittings, braided hose for power steering, an '89 Iroc Z steering box, and the Goodyear Hi-miler blue radiator hoses. I thought about changing the stock black pulleys for the polished or chrome ones, but all the pulleys would of cost almost $500. The kit came with practically everything to install on your engine. I powder coated the brackets silver for easy cleaning.

Brad
10-19-2004, 06:54 PM
I took one of an 87 Astro van with a 4.3 V6. Of course the plate and what not is metal, not aluminum.....You can either run the a/c bracket or you can simply un bolt it. I think total with a new alternator I've spent 90 bucks.

JayBird
10-21-2004, 04:18 AM
I have some Street & Performance pulleys for sale. Check the FOR SALE sections. Has pics also.

Street & Performance vette/camaro serpentine pulley setup. These pulleys are machined aluminum with the chromed finish. No buffing necessary. Just wipe dust off. Comes with Water pump pulley for short style WP. Crank pulley, belt idler with caps, Type III PS bracket and pulley (this setup uses small PS pump that Detroit Speed sells). Alternator bracket that attaches to cyl head, alt fan blade, and two alt positioning brackets (10 o’clock and 2 o’clock) depending on what type alt you have. I am inculding a 130amp ALT also. Comes with chromed aluminum adjusting rod with heims to adjust belt tension. Attaches to alt and back of belt idler. All bolts, spacers, and belt are included. PS pulley will need to be pressed onto PS pump.

Pictures available upon request.

Bought new in 3/2002 for over $900. Have receipt to confirm. ASKING $575.00 which includes shipping to 48 continental states.

Cakeaholic
10-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Little cheaper here.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/896/products/8224/SB-Serpentine-Belt-Drive-System-Deluxe-W_O-Air.htm

Joe_Rocket
10-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Sounds like you can put a serpentine setup from a late model chevy on a first gen camaro small block? What other changes must be done?

Brad, you mentioned you went this route, and someone mentioned a reverse flow water pump.

I like the low-buck approach. What do I need to make such a swap?

socalfandabodys
10-29-2004, 07:48 PM
I went through concept one and for about $950 I got everything you need for the serpenitine kit for a big block chevy with a/c and power steering. It included the reverse flow aluminum polished water pump,polished power steering pump with the aluminum remote reservoir and all the brackets and belts and polished allen heads. Everything bloted on really nice too.

Zefhix
10-30-2004, 09:30 AM
I went through concept one and for about $950 I got everything you need for the serpenitine kit for a big block chevy with a/c and power steering. It included the reverse flow aluminum polished water pump,polished power steering pump with the aluminum remote reservoir and all the brackets and belts and polished allen heads. Everything bloted on really nice too.

Hey, do you have pics? ...I'd love to see the setup. Also, I guess for that price it didn't include the A/C compressor, huh? Thank's for the info. :cool:

DCx
11-03-2004, 05:57 AM
just get a march v belt setup. its $500 and looks great.

69CamaroChesapeakeVA
11-14-2004, 04:51 PM
These systems you guys are getting seem very expensive to me. I bought a 383 crate motor from Summit a while back. I went to the junkyard and found a 4.3V6 serpintine system out of a S-10 truck. It bolted right up the 383 with no mods. I may have spent 200 bucks total and most of that was some new pulleys I bought from GM.

socalfandabodys
11-14-2004, 09:40 PM
I would love to psot pics of my car. I just dont know how to resize them so that they will fit. Just got the car back from the body shop too. escalade out of the blue with pearl white stripes.