PDA

View Full Version : NO!Header Help!

1Fine69
05-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Sticking the headers on today and i cant believe my eyes. the old 350 plugs ran straight out of the block and cleared the headers. The 427 has angled plugs. I can get the headers on and the splugs clear by MILLIMETERS so i cant get caps on. What header do i go with? i got the tko-600 and i need to clear angled plugs. I have 1 5/8ths now. im going to call summit today so help as soon as possbile! thanks!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/05/plug3-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/05/plug1-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/05/plug2-1.jpg

1Fine69
05-06-2006, 10:27 AM
i have flowmaster super 40's with 2.5 inch pipes if that helps

protour_chevelle
05-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Run those stubby spark plugs? My buddy had the exact problem(but on a different car.

-Matt

1Fine69
05-06-2006, 02:01 PM
got em.....summit had some

rocketman
05-06-2006, 02:51 PM
run an autolite 103 its shorter,

PARKERRS
05-06-2006, 05:12 PM
If the summit headers don't work out PM me, I just finished a long trial and error session with headers.

Tommy

Madspeed
05-06-2006, 09:44 PM
As far as I was aware those accell (ngk) plugs are the shortest you can get.
Give a call to Dougs Headers http://www.dougsheaders.com/
And Yepsir they have notes about clearing angle plug heads (they will clear most angle plug heads incl gm's brodix ect)
nd thier Shizzle Is TOP Notch stuff you can get up to a 5/8" thick flange, yes thats not a typo I said 5/8"

Gl Ken F

1Fine69
05-07-2006, 06:54 AM
gotcha....if the shorty plugs dont work ill give em a call

Madspeed
05-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I am afraid to tell you but No plug is gonna work. You are just going to burn wires annyways Get different headders.
I speak from experience. I have a set of 202 camel hump heads from gm that we bought in 1975 new and they are angle plug heads as well Header clearance with those heads was allways a nightmare.
If memory serves me right the angle plugs are arent worth the troubble HP wise it only helps above somthing like 6500 rpm and it aint much. As a mattter of fact we threw them out and bought edlebrock aluminum vortec style heads and they made a HUGE difference in my ass dyno. Thats all we changed as well and it was worth every penny of the 1k we spent on them
You would be better off to go buy vortec heads from a truck they will outflow allmost anny head on the market right out of the box unported pre fastburn not to mention that they are allso more efficient heads.
I know its hard to switch once your in this deep allready =(
Just ebay those heads =)
Feel free to Pm me ill give ya meh # and explain it all f you want. Been there done that

Gl Ken F

1Fine69
05-08-2006, 04:49 AM
i unerstand what your saying but im going to try the plugs because they are almsot 1 inch shorter. If the wires are still close i will just get the heat wrap stuff. If all of that doesnt work out i dont know what to do. I talked to a coupe people and all of them said they didnt know of anyone thta made headers for the small block wth angled plugs that can still clear the z bar. Well see what happens and hopefulyl the plugs will work.

PARKERRS
05-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Check with a company called Stans headers in Auburn, Wa. they make a try-y that I know for a fact will clear angle plugs, not sure about the Z bar but they build to order. The info is at stansheaders.com, doug thorleys also clear the plugs and claim to clear the z-bar, but I didn't have much luck with the fit on my second gen.

Tommy

SickSpeedMonte
05-08-2006, 07:29 AM
The heat wrap is good, but not as good as these fiberglass boots that accel makes for close plug wires. They are like $70 for a box of 8, but if you only need a few, try your local speed shop. We sell them in singles.

Madspeed
05-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Have you fellas Honestlyfound a Heat wrap or sheild that works?
I have not found it yet. Heh the heat wrap dont burn but the wires beneith it do.

Oh and !fine69 . Those plugs arent they allready acell?
As memory serves me Acell plugs are the shortest You can get.

As far as the zbar problem there is the hydraulic throwout bearing you can switch to.

Well anyways hope it all works out (cheaply)

Ken F

1Fine69
05-10-2006, 03:56 AM
i cant switch anything anymore man. but as for the plugs the ones that came on the world block were not shortys. The ones i ordered were almost 1 inch shorter.

Madspeed
05-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Well hot damed. Cool beans man maybee you will get away with it after all.
Hope it all works out. Let us know the results

:smoke:

1Fine69
05-11-2006, 02:56 AM
i definately will, and keep you fingers crossed!

72NovaSS
05-11-2006, 05:38 AM
Sticking the headers on today and i cant believe my eyes. the old 350 plugs ran straight out of the block and cleared the headers. The 427 has angled plugs. I can get the headers on and the splugs clear by MILLIMETERS so i cant get caps on. What header do i go with? i got the tko-600 and i need to clear angled plugs. I have 1 5/8ths now. im going to call summit today so help as soon as possbile! thanks!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/05/plug3-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/05/plug1-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/05/plug2-1.jpg
hey 1fine69! so i purchased the same engine! boy oh boy does this it scream!:headbang: i have dougs tri-y headers and 2 1/2" exhaust to flowmasters (soon to be gibson) then piped behind the rear tires. these headers clear the spark plugs fine! as for the spark plug wires i routed them above the headers. on the head there are those extra holes for screws inbetween each header tube i just bought the spacers and bolted them in! i must say i thought this engine was going to sounds sissy...boy was i wrong!:seizure:

not the best quality of pictures but here you go.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/05/xpcxw4-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/05/xpcu9z-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/05/xpcuf4-1.jpg

1Fine69
05-11-2006, 05:47 AM
thats awsome!!!!! did you get the engine in aluminum? that would be really nuts if you did have the sae exact thing. I wish i had it hooked up to hear it. Clarence from world said it was nasty sounding. Is it really lopey? i hope so. Looks very clean overall even though the pics are small. If the plugs dont fit im really relieved that there are headers out there to solve the problem!

1Fine69
05-11-2006, 05:50 AM
oh!i forgot one more thing. If i had to change the headers...wouldnt they not hook up to the pipes that are there now? Wouldnt i have to change the exhaust because the headers are different length and have a different bolt pattern? i might have to call doug headers if no one knows

72NovaSS
05-11-2006, 06:10 AM
thats awsome!!!!! did you get the engine in aluminum? that would be really nuts if you did have the sae exact thing. I wish i had it hooked up to hear it. Clarence from world said it was nasty sounding. Is it really lopey? i hope so. Looks very clean overall even though the pics are small. If the plugs dont fit im really relieved that there are headers out there to solve the problem!

Yes sir...all aluminum! Dood.............it sounds nasty! It started right up and does it rev ever so quick sounds almost like a big block and makes gobbs of tq and hp throughout the powerband! it has a really nice cam sound...my whole car has shakes at idle and it rattles the windows nicely...it has that perfect lifter clatter! it's sounds so clean. i couldnt have asked for a better engine! i really have no other way of describing it. i hope the plugs fit for you...itd be a shame to have to spend more money!

As for the header hooking up to the exhaust idk if the length is the same as your current ones. the collector is 2 1/2" i believe and the flang is a standard 3 bolt hole pattern. Honestly the best thing to do is if the spark plugs dont work...give dougs a call and speak to someone!

1Fine69
05-11-2006, 06:39 AM
i might have to. get a sound clip up of that engine! actually i dont know if i want to hear it....i kinda wnat to hear mine first haha

72NovaSS
05-11-2006, 06:44 AM
i say wait and see what yours sounds like...it'll give you that satisfaction of accomplishment!

1Fine69
05-11-2006, 11:19 AM
well....the plugs dont work. i came home from school and my dad told me he ordered new headers. I was weary at first because i wanted to go with doug's at first because i knew they worked thanks to 72novass but my pops said he talked to the jegs guy for a long while about the situation. He ended up going with hooker super comp 1 3/4 coated. This is a step up from our 1 5/8 and it should help it flow better. if anybody has an opinion about those headers please tell. Id like to know if im getting good ones!

72NovaSS
05-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Jegs Techies are very knowledgeable...i'm sure those headers will be sweet! best of luck!

Rayzor
05-13-2006, 12:48 AM
1fine69,

I have a 67 camaro with small block. AFR 220 angle plug heads. When I ordered my heads I was told by afr that rule of thumb was 1-3/4" headers will clear angle heads.

I have hedman 65003's (note: there have been some posts on team camaro that the newer 65003's do not fit, they use 1-5/8" flanges)

They also fit fine in my straight plug heads.Heres a pic (afr 220 angle plug heads, tko600 trans with manual linkage, factory pwr strng, vintage air etc,
...)

1Fine69
05-13-2006, 05:03 PM
well, heres the deal. I put the passenger side header on and they cleared. I went to the drivers side and i was there for hours. Couldnt get them in from top or bottom. Had to take off oil filter, jack the car up mroe because they were longer, take off the tie rod from the center link, and i still didnt get them in. The steering box needs to come out. As im walking in iam inspecting the headers and notice something....the first 2 inches of the number 1 whole of the header is rusted on the inside. I think to myseld hmm.....jeggs said these hookers were coated inside and out. I guess not. Im sending those back and getting my money back and having headman' 66003 headers sent free delivery. Pray for me guys

Madspeed
05-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Man your luck Sucks with headers.
Or maybee you should just get dougs =)

Hooker and Headman are some of the worst crap on the market.

Try a real headr manufacture that pays att to details, IE Dougs, Kooks they cost 600 to 950 bucks for a reason =) they fit And are not compromised in lengths or sizes.

Gl bud

zuess4u
05-23-2006, 10:03 PM
well, heres the deal. I put the passenger side header on and they cleared. I went to the drivers side and i was there for hours. Couldnt get them in from top or bottom. Had to take off oil filter, jack the car up mroe because they were longer, take off the tie rod from the center link, and i still didnt get them in. The steering box needs to come out. As im walking in iam inspecting the headers and notice something....the first 2 inches of the number 1 whole of the header is rusted on the inside. I think to myseld hmm.....jeggs said these hookers were coated inside and out. I guess not. Im sending those back and getting my money back and having headman' 66003 headers sent free delivery. Pray for me guys

We just picked up our headers from www.sandsheaders.com (http://www.sandsheaders.com) they are located here in Phoenix, but have been in Cali for 21 years, been in business for like 27 years.

We are running angle plug heads as well, the fron tude of these headers, comes out and across straight back, there are no clearance problems for US.

Their flanges are lazer cut not stampped, and their welds are show quailty, give them a call....and tell them Bob from Paradise Valley High school refered you.

If you want I will post up pics tommorw.

1Fine69
05-24-2006, 05:29 AM
the headmans are beautiful and they fit!now im just trying to connect the reducers to the pipes. will be done soon