PDA

View Full Version : Kenne Bell LSX blower in 1st Gen

streetk14
05-05-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure if this should be here, or in the LSX forum but here it goes. I have decided to do an LS1/T56 conversion, the motor and trans are on the way. Kenne Bell has a new LSX blower on the market that I am very interested in. Here's the link: www.kennebell.net/superchargers/gm/Corvette/gmCorvette.htm . Over 500 RWHP and TQ on a stock LS6. That's pretty impressive. It's intercooled but it's still kind of scary that they are putting 7 psi of boost to a motor with almost 11:1 compression on pump gas, but Kenne Bell has a very good reputation and do their homework from what I know. I am curious if this will fit under a stock height cowl hood, it doesn't look that tall. Anybody have any info on this system?
Here are my thoughts for the engine combination:
2002 LS1 short block (stock)
AFR 205 heads with 76cc chambers, or possibly ported 6 liter heads to lower compression (I know it may not be neccesary, but it makes me feel better about boosting the stock bottom end)
Small cam (218/228 maybe?)
90mm throttle body
1 3/4" headers from Stainless Works or Hooker
What do you think of this combo? How much RWHP do you think this will be good for (I'm guessing at least 550)? Will I be pushing the limits of the stock short block? I'm trying to do this on some sort of a budget :rotfl: so I'd like to avoid tearing into the rotating assembly for now if possible. I'm new to the LSX thing, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks,
Andy

72NovaSS
05-05-2006, 11:32 PM
It sounds like a sweet setup! Kenne Bell does do their homework when it comes to supercharging period. 500 to 550 RWHP sounds about right on a stock lower end. I ride around in KBs test cars all the time and I do have to say that there is nothing like a KBd 2500 suburban w/stock engine and 500RWHP on 8lbs of boost running 13sec 1/4miles on 20s! This suburban has had the supercharger on it since it left the showroom floor, it currently has 60,XXX some-odd miles on it and is running strong!. I honestly think that you will be fine running a stock short block.

brad

streetk14
05-06-2006, 11:07 AM
It sounds like a sweet setup! Kenne Bell does do their homework when it comes to supercharging period. 500 to 550 RWHP sounds about right on a stock lower end. I ride around in KBs test cars all the time and I do have to say that there is nothing like a KBd 2500 suburban w/stock engine and 500RWHP on 8lbs of boost running 13sec 1/4miles on 20s! This suburban has had the supercharger on it since it left the showroom floor, it currently has 60,XXX some-odd miles on it and is running strong!. I honestly think that you will be fine running a stock short block.

brad

That's what I'm hoping also. Their dyno charts show 525 RWHP and 500 RWTQ on a stock 02 Z06 (only mod is cold air box). I think that's enough power for me. I have an LS1, so I will need to get better heads to match their results. I also only have access to 91 octane here, so dropping the compression into the mid to high 9's seems like a good idea. It doesn't seem like I will need much cam, but I would like my car to have some lope to it. My last gen 1 small block had AFR heads and a 242/248, .540/.568 roller cam, and I loved the idle (sounded good anyway). The 42 lb injecters supplied by Kenne Bell are good to 560 RWHP I think, so no need to go overboard on cam/power. Any suggestions on the cam? I'd like to keep the rev limit to 6500 to help save the rotating assembly.

justforfun
05-06-2006, 02:56 PM
90mm TB & new intake to run that TB is not necessary for those hp numbers with boost, so you could save some cash there. If you plan on going over 7#, make sure you replace the head bolts.

camcojb
05-06-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm running 8 psi on a stock 10.9:1 LS2 with intercooler and it's no problem. There's guys running 12+ psi on the stock high compression engine. Keep it out of detonation and have a good tune and it's all good.

Jody

streetk14
05-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm running 8 psi on a stock 10.9:1 LS2 with intercooler and it's no problem. There's guys running 12+ psi on the stock high compression engine. Keep it out of detonation and have a good tune and it's all good.

Jody

If I stick with a mostly stock motor, I can use Kenne Bell's tuning and it should be damn close. Of course, I will have in checked on a chassis dyno after it's running. As far as detonation goes, won't the factory knock sensors prevent that?
-Andy

streetk14
05-06-2006, 10:42 PM
90mm TB & new intake to run that TB is not necessary for those hp numbers with boost, so you could save some cash there. If you plan on going over 7#, make sure you replace the head bolts.

The blower manifold is equipped to run a 90mm TB as is, so the only cost would be the throttle body itself. Their dyno charts show it's worth 20 hp on that combination. The stock LS6 throttle body made 525 RWHP with 7 psi, which is why I don't really need the 90mm unit. I have a feeling if I get the cam and heads I want and do the throttle body upgrade I am going to be well exceeding the power levels I have in mind. I have no problem with a very streetable 600 RWHP, but I don't know how much the rods and pistons will like it. When I change the heads I will go with some ARP bolts.

camcojb
05-07-2006, 07:42 AM
If I stick with a mostly stock motor, I can use Kenne Bell's tuning and it should be damn close. Of course, I will have in checked on a chassis dyno after it's running. As far as detonation goes, won't the factory knock sensors prevent that?
-Andy

Yes, but a smart tuner won't rely on the sensors to be doing all the work. We datalog knock retard and adjust the timing so you aren't getting any retard under all the loads and rpms ranges you can drive in. Then you have full range of the knock sensors if you need them for some reason. Not a good idea to run around depending on them to be retarding timing constantly, they can and do fail from time to time.

Jody

streetk14
05-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Yes, but a smart tuner won't rely on the sensors to be doing all the work. We datalog knock retard and adjust the timing so you aren't getting any retard under all the loads and rpms ranges you can drive in. Then you have full range of the knock sensors if you need them for some reason. Not a good idea to run around depending on them to be retarding timing constantly, they can and do fail from time to time.

Jody

Thanks Jody, that's pretty much what I thought. They can save your a#@ , but are not a substitute for a proper tune. If I get the programmer from KB, I think I should be in pretty good shape. Also, what would you recommend for a fuel system? I'm new to the LSX thing, so I am trying to get as much info as possible before I order all my parts. I will be using a new stainless tank with in-tank pump. I'm not sure what pump to run for the 550 or so RWHP. I am also wondering about fuel line size. Most of the tanks have -6 outlets, and I'm not sure if that is big enough. Should I step it up to -8? I am also considering using KB's "boost-a-pump", which is supposed to allow you to run a smaller pump. I've also seen the "stealth" tanks from Rick's that have the Aeromotive pumps installed. I'm not sure what the best route is for performance and reliability. I also don't want to limit myself for future power upgrades if I decide to do so. Any ideas?

justforfun
05-08-2006, 09:05 AM
The blower manifold is equipped to run a 90mm TB as is, so the only cost would be the throttle body itself. Their dyno charts show it's worth 20 hp on that combination. The stock LS6 throttle body made 525 RWHP with 7 psi, which is why I don't really need the 90mm unit. I have a feeling if I get the cam and heads I want and do the throttle body upgrade I am going to be well exceeding the power levels I have in mind. I have no problem with a very streetable 600 RWHP, but I don't know how much the rods and pistons will like it. When I change the heads I will go with some ARP bolts.

My bad. I was thinking the blower was forcing the air through the TB not sucking. As for fuel I went with the Stealth tank from Ricks, but have not run it yet. The A1000 should provide plenty of fuel running 8an feed & 6an return. It is fairly expensive & kind of heavy, but then again the individual componets are expensive.

As others have stated if detonation exists on a forced motor, it is a very bad thing so depending on the knock sensors could be very expensive.

Dave95Z28
05-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Here is one installed in a 69 with an LS2.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Plenty of hood clearance.

Here is a thread with a little more information about it.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499263

Dave

calforniacuda
05-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Look at the dyno charts on Kenne Bell's website. The TQ numbers for KB or Whipple cannot be matched by others. Positive displacement superchargers create instant boost/tq down low. The are the most fun to drive, your engine now feels twice as big.

72NovaSS
05-07-2007, 01:19 AM
street...i love kenne bell superchargers...i will stand by their performance 100%...i love their shop even though its a hole in the wall...but i will not trust their tuning! I ride in their cars all the time and they ping badd. I have seen plenty of cars blow up their engines on the dyno. get the tune looked at by someone with experience.

Definitely get the Boost a Pump, it works wonders! -8 feed and -6 return lines are perfect as justforfun said.

sounds like you will be having fun with this setup...youll love the sound of supercharger!