PDA

View Full Version : '71/'01 Firebird Update

71FirebirdLS1
05-05-2006, 05:35 PM
The bird is finally on the ground! A lot of the suspension parts are bolted in for the final time, but some, like the lower a-arms need to go back. We think it lowered the car even more up front in addition to the 2" drop spindles. The rear turned out OK. The panhard bar isn't in yet. It's real exciting finally seeing the car on the ground though. The top of the roof measures 48" from the ground. That's with the QA1 shocks and springs set as low as they can go. Other than the couple of changes and tweeking later (camber, toe, control arms, etc.), this part is done. I have more pictures on my website if you're all interested.

Gordz32
05-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Looks sweet!! I like the stance! Can't wait till the chevelle is at that stage!

restomodbird69
05-05-2006, 06:58 PM
great ride i wish i was as far along

OldSchoolFormula
05-05-2006, 11:39 PM
That is just way to sweet, and I really really really dig the rear end treatment. Going to yank the Pontiac 400 tomorrow ::sniff:: to make way for the LS1 in mine. Still not sure what Im going to do with the 4th gen HVAC stuff. You dont have any pictures of the #8 plug area with the motor installed and the HVAC box, do you? Was it really necessary to move the motor up that far? Im kind of wondering if I can't move the HVAC box out farther to the passenger side and cut out the inner kickpanel metal area to make room for it. Not sure how structural that is, or what I'd do when I lose the fender-firewall bolt.

And that stance! KILLER!

71FirebirdLS1
05-06-2006, 10:42 AM
here's some pictures for ya oldschool... you could move the hvac over more, but you'll run into the fender mount on the firewall. with the ls1 in, you'll have almost 1.5-2. inches from the hvac to spare. hoping that should be alright :fingers crossed: i'm not sure how much room would be left after pulling the coil packets on... we're going to relocate them and put some nice billet aluminum covers. the engine is moved that much forward so that the ac compressor and starter will clear the forward side of the stub. the oil pan is also a touch further up than the cross-member.

so where are you at in your project? you have all the stuff, but need to start tearing your bird apart?

OldSchoolFormula
05-06-2006, 01:01 PM
http://www.geocities.com/thelastcaboose2/Page2.htm

Thats more how I was planning on getting my motor positioned in there. Tom's oil pan clears the front subframe like this. But, with the motor back that far, and installing the HVAC system in the same way you did - I think I'm going to be screwed if I ever have to change out the #8 plug, especially since its angles towards the firewall on that bank. My project right now consists of an LS1/4L60E sitting in the corner of my garage, my ECU on the other side of the country with my wiring harness, and the HVAC system taking up my work bench. LoL

My '73 is my daily driver so I've just been researching and planning as much as possible to make this swap *fast*:screwy: and relatively *cheap*. :bicycle:

I parted an entire '01 T/A, so I kept the fuel system intact, the door panels, the seats, the drivetrain, and the HVAC system, including the firewall plate, like you. That thing was a PITA to remove. The plan is to keep the stock '73 dash, fill it with autometers, wrap it, and then make a custom cneter console resembling the stock one but place the HVAC controls in the map pocket, and wrap it as well.

Then your car popped up, and it just blew me away. A lot of the things I wanted to do or thought (nah..no way is that going to work) you had already figured out. That helps things out immensely. :usa:
I'm fighting myself on copying your rear ent treatment, though. I always loved the chrome bumper small light cars, but those (Vette?) bumpers you used with the late lights is just GORGEOUS. And dropping the valence lower is an ingenious idea to give you the ability to run exhaust through it without having to move the tank.

Anyway, your a ton of help and your cars a helluva inspiration. :drive:

colt zantop
05-06-2006, 01:20 PM
stance is perfect.....cant wait to see it done!

formula
05-06-2006, 03:04 PM
veddy veddy shexy, makes me want to tear mine apart....:cool:

71FirebirdLS1
05-06-2006, 07:00 PM
thanks for all the good comments!

oldschool - yeah, your ls1 is almost hugging that firewall... i don't know how much clearance you would have with the hvac, but it sure would be close. you would have to cut up that pretty white firewall though. go ahead and do the tail treatment.... i got the idea of extending the rear valance down for the dual exhaust tips from this pictures on the net, but i give my dad credit for the '77 tail light panel and corvette bumpers (which had to be extended).

formula
05-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Hey man, I was just going through your website, and saw your newly finished kick panel...now are these actually upholstered now, or just redyed? If they really are upholstered, how in the heck did you pull that off? just stick the vinyl on there with some sort of adhesive? because I really need to do it to my car if that's a possibility...my interior got WRECKED when the ol' bird got broken into.

rickk
05-07-2006, 09:50 AM
looks good . keep up the good work.
rick k:jawdrop:

OldSchoolFormula
05-07-2006, 12:44 PM
That picture is the reason I have a blacked out tailpanel! Always love dthe look of that, its just a bummer that the ga stank is in the way and I don't want to run a fuel cell. Keep up the FABULOUS work.

71FirebirdLS1
05-14-2006, 04:34 PM
sorry formula, i've been gone all week. yeah, those panels were upholstered with vinyl. we used some 3M adhesive. spray it on both contacting surfaces, let it sit for a bit and you can work it around tight corners pretty well. so what got ruined when your bird was broken into?

OldSchoolFormula
05-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, tore my dash all out today and the old airbox for the heater. Looking at the cowl air plenum right now, and the way it ties the car together. I am quite worried right now looking at its boxed shape as far as structure goes from keeping the car from caving in on itself. Besides making the plenum much shallower, are you adding any other significant braces to tie the two kick panel boxes together? Do you have any pictures of the airbox installed from within the car, if the dash is currently out? Fairly concerned with this area right now.

71FirebirdLS1
05-14-2006, 08:16 PM
here's some more pictures. the top of the cowl was cut up to redo the cowl that would go directly above the '01 core. the inlet air for the new core is further outboard and there's maybe only an inch of clearance between it and the factory '71 air inlet hole. we built up a ridge around the '01 inlet and put a wire mesh on top. you can also see what was done for support and patch work to get that in there.

OldSchoolFormula
05-14-2006, 08:53 PM
That last picture is just what I needed to see. Looks like you were able in fact to replace/build most of the structure there in the plenum area.

Guess I otta whip out the sawzall and cut off wheel. :eek: :fingersx:

RobM
05-14-2006, 08:55 PM
any better pics of the rear suspension? almost looks like ladder bars?

coony
05-14-2006, 09:50 PM
you better check your tranny tunnel clearance, most second gens need to have the tunnel cut to get the correct clearance with a T56

formula
05-14-2006, 10:44 PM
sorry formula, i've been gone all week. yeah, those panels were upholstered with vinyl. we used some 3M adhesive. spray it on both contacting surfaces, let it sit for a bit and you can work it around tight corners pretty well. so what got ruined when your bird was broken into?

off the top of my head...console, both kick panels, both of the rear panels by the seats, shifter surround, shifter handle, that little pocket in the front of the console, armrest pockety covery thingy, ashtray, passenger door panel. They chucked a cement chunk the size of a volleyball through the window. I think they did it multiple times, on purpose--that's the only way I can explain all the damaged panels. When the cops found the cement, it was wedged between my ash tray and my shifter. They left my brand new clarion headunit, my cd's, but stole a shower caddy with some shampoo, a tooth brush, and some underwear in it. It was parked kinda near my school's fraternity row, so I have a feeling some of the unruly spoiled daddy's boys got loaded and decided to go to town on my car. I also have a feeling it was the same guys who chucked a lit cigarette on my california car cover. My car and I are both pretty well known because it's such a small school, so I would presume it's just some cowards who don't have the guts to come after me personally.

on topic...does the extra layer of vinyl cause any fitment issues anywhere so far? I have a feeling this is going to be my interior's saving grace.

71FirebirdLS1
05-15-2006, 07:07 PM
OSF - as my dad always says, "anyone can restore a car, but it takes a real man to cut one up!" i dont know why, but it still makes me cringe whenever i think of cutting up a car.

RobM - here's a picture of the forward portion of the rear end. that's the torque arm up front. the springs are attached to the rear end with drilled L-brackets. the panhard bar isn't in yet.

coony - we've checked out the clearance and everything is OK. getting the subframe modified, we had the engine and tranny in it so many times. do you know what other second gen guys had to do to the tranny cross member to get the tranny to bolt up? any shortcuts or aftermarket parts? i imagine not...

formula - that is unreal people would do that. i've never heard anything like that before. you'd think they would key your car or take a bat to it maybe... seems like it would take work to do what they did. we got several pieces covered in vinyl and only tried the kick panels. they seem to fit fine around the door jamb lip/flange. we haven't tried anything else though.

OldSchoolFormula
05-15-2006, 11:44 PM
OSF - as my dad always says, "anyone can restore a car, but it takes a real man to cut one up!" i dont know why, but it still makes me cringe whenever i think of cutting up a car.

As true as that is... it would still suck to cut up a structural part of the car and then have a worthless shell. Cutting it up? No big deal. Stitching it back up to be at least as strong as it was prior to the cut? That makes me nervous. Im going to investigate running a cross bar from one kick panel to the other to help brace that area up. I dont think theres going to be much room for one, though; especially with the deep autometers.

71FirebirdLS1
05-16-2006, 05:45 PM
humm, never thought about running a brace to both kick panels... you could stitch it back up then weld or stitch a long piece or two of steel strips across the cowl.

31car
05-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Constructors note-OSF-make sure you fit the wiper transmission before welding in new upper cowl-very tight!! I dont think HVAC box will go into car any further to the right-structural strength of right vent box in cowl critical-

Johnny Blaze
08-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Amazing car! Really like the rear suspension setup, considering it for mine. Any more info on it? How did you decide on the arm lentghs, mounting angles, etc...?