PDA

View Full Version : Painless wiring how difficult???

Lowerit
05-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm going to be installing a 99 LS1 from a camaro into my 66 Corvair. The Engine and tranny are all mounted up via a kennedy adaptor plate. I am using a 930 Porsche turbo tranny fully rebuilt with an LSD , porsche brakes , ect.

My biggest concern is the wiring. Has anyone here used the painless harness?? is it really plug and play? I just want to run a stock motor for now , then upgradeit once the bugs are worked out. I'm looking for the easiest way to run the car. Some sites have good things to say about painless, some not so good.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

M.McCreery
66 Corvair Rear Engined LS1
86 Fiero Northstar 5spd , stand alone Nitrous
65 Corvair turbo
94 911 RSAmerica
03 Vette anniversary
87 Z51
05 Legacy GT
Lots of other toys as well.

kennyd
05-04-2006, 11:23 AM
painless is a very good system to use , i have never had any problems with them .

Lowerit
05-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Was it easy to install?? I would assume you would need the following

-Tach Signal
-Ground(s)
Switched 12V
Constant 12V
Fan Switch
Fuel pump

I am running a holley commanderin one of my other cars that was supposed to be ""plug and play"" pre programmed from the vendor , turned out to be a nighmare and took several hours on a dyno to make the car right.

My main concern is a time crunch I am under...

Madspeed
05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
It is a fairly easy harness to install.
Just dont counbt on them having anyone on there tech line that knowes his a55 from his elbow.
The alternator wire Does NOT require the diode Nor a light
it connects directly to the harness.

You will see what I am talkin bout

If you are not going to try and put it in somthing that has to pass smogg when done then its fine to use what they recomend

I installed an ls in a 94 jeepand the guy wanted to take it to the ref and get it passed But we couldnt use the rear o2 sensors
And the tech dept at painless only sent me a fax of an aldata pinout
he had no clue what to do
nor did the dude i spoke with about the alternator wire (he Misled me and so do the instructions)

Pm me if you get into anny trbble I am gm certified =) ,ASE master tech and Supertech at electrical =)

Gl Ken F