PDA

View Full Version : Stan is the man!

PARKERRS
04-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used or heard of Stan's headers out of Auburn, Wa. the shop say's it has been in business since 1962, and 90% of their headers are tri-y configuration. I also read somewhere that Doug Thorley worked there in the early sixties before going on his own. These headers bear a striking resembalance to Thorley tri-y's.
I talked with them on the phone and they will make headers with your choice of flange, machined true, and your choice of either 14ga. or 16ga. tubing. some of the line have 1/4 in. flanges and some have 3/8in., but all can be had with 3/8 when ordered.
This sounds like the answer to my search for a high clearance tri-y design with flanges to match my d-port fast burn heads. Just looking for some feedback from someone who has tried them or seen their work. Headers also use ball socket connections for the collectors.

Tommy :fingersx:

PARKERRS
05-04-2006, 04:10 AM
After much searching and exchanging I have finally found a header that fits my needs perfectly. As I posted before I had problems with fit using doug thorley headers. So i tried several others, and they would fit the car nicely but wouldn't fit the exhaust port to suit me or vice versa. I contacted stainlessworks, lemon, and some others and due to my having issues with the way all the other mass production units fit all of them wanted the car at their shop to fit headers or they would just ship parts to build myself. It wasn't in my budget or schedule to go several states away just for headers. Finally I found a family owned header manufactuerer in business since 1962, Stan's Headers in Auburn, Washington. The place is still run by Stan, headers are built by hand by a small crew, 3/8 machined flanges, absolutely beautiful tig welds, and mandrel bends, also ball/socket flanges on the collectors.
This company specializes in try-y designs, but also build 4 tube headers. They will build to suit as far as flange thickness, configuration (round port,oval, or in my case d-port flanges), tube ga.(14, or 16ga.), some are available in stainless, all are available chrome or coated. It took about 4 days to build and ship as they build to order.
I have the best clearance possible without floorboard interference. and as I said before the quality is excellent. I will try to post pics in a few days. Just got them yesterday, ordered bare steel in case I needed to tweak them but this wasn't neccessary after trial bolt up last night. Will be taking to have ceramic coated today.
Price is a little steep, $469 for bare steel, but coated hooker super comps are $560 and are nowhere near the Qaulity, I know because I tried them. after coating I will still have less than $700 in them and the try-y design is great fo clearance.
Sorry to be so long but wanted to give a heads up where it was deserved. If you are picky about your headers or have an odd application,give Stan's a call especially for try-y's.I think the web address is stansheaders.com

Hope this helps someone else,
Tommy

PARKERRS
05-04-2006, 04:12 AM
See my post Stan is the man!

Damn True
06-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Let's see some photos of the fit.

Rick Dorion
06-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Good find. What primary pipe diameter and collector diameter did you have made? Engine specs?