PDA

View Full Version : Header pingin ???

E30M30
05-03-2006, 04:46 AM
Hi I'm having some pingin in my 455 67 firebird. It sounds like it's the hedders (I'm running hedman hussler hedders). Has anyone had pingin because the headers where poor quality ?, because it really sounds like the sound comes from the hedders (I don't think it's detonation)

Steve68
05-03-2006, 09:29 AM
are you hearing the came noise, snap or pinging in the headers??

E30M30
05-03-2006, 10:13 AM
It's like exhaust pulses banging in the tubes (hope it makes sence) But I think I'll check the advance curve, maybe it's advancing to fast. The previous owner told me to run each gear further before shifting, I'm just addicted to the torque in the poncho...(I've never had a US car, and on a regular day I drive a suzuki 1,3l)

gearbanger
05-03-2006, 10:31 AM
I know the noise you are talking about. I have had a 389, and 400 and now a 461 stroker in my GTO and all have had the same noise. Only common thread between all motors is a set of Hooker competition headers. I am thinking that is what it is. There are some real sharp bends in those headers and I bet that is the noise. I have a set of the new Tri-y headers from Ron Watt ordered but don't know when I'll get them. All my other motors had different heads, intakes distributors, carbs, exhaust, and they all did it. It sounds more like someone hitting the concrete with a big hammer than a ping to me. It is very loud with open headers and muffled but definitely still there with exhaust. Let me know if you get it figured out.

We have talked about this over on the PY forum too, and there are several guys that say it is the headers.

406 Q-ship
05-26-2006, 08:26 AM
E30M30 Tube noise is very common on headers, the stronger running engines have more and the thinner the tube is another factor. I work with headers day in and day out, and even low compression stock engines can have tube noise.