PDA

View Full Version : Holley carb idle surge

qwik1320
05-02-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm finally dusting off the 73 after a long winter and can't get the damn thing to idle right. Over the winter I started the car a few (very few) times and ended up fouling the plugs... Replaced the plugs and swapped out the 750 VacSec carb that was on it with a 600 VacSec I had. I got the car running and took it for a ride the other day. Tonight I started it up and the idle "surges" between 800 and 1100 when sitting in park. I checked the timing and it's good, didn't check the fuel level/floats yet. Any thoughts?

Also, I have a Carter Strip pump on the car - could it be getting too much fuel pressure?

TOPDOWN CRUISER
05-03-2006, 05:48 AM
Float levels can cause that to happen as well as the idle circuit being to lean.

qwik1320
05-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks TOPDOWN, I was going to check the float levels tonight but ran into a small problem. I had the "see thru" plugs in the bowls and one of them twisted off, leaving the threaded part in the bowl... :hand:

gearbanger
05-04-2006, 04:26 AM
I had that same thing happen one time. Those site plugs are worthless. They get foggy after a while so you can't really see through them very well, and then when you try and get them out they twist off. Went back to the normal plugs from then on.

Zee
05-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Also check your PCV valve. You may need to try one with a heavier weight in it.