PDA

View Full Version : Water in the Air Lines...

PT Dave
10-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I've got a problem with water in my Air Lines. My compressor must be putting out a lot of heat and condensation is building up in the lines.
Any suggestions on a good water trap ??

Matt@RFR
10-16-2004, 01:06 PM
It's not condensation, unless it sits for long periods without running. The water comes from the moisture in the air, and when the air gets compressed, the moisture is squeezed out, ending up in the bottom of the tank, or some in the lines.

Drain the compressor often. Atleast once a day, depending on your useage. If you have several lines throughout your shop, each drop needs its own drain. At the end of the day, drain each drop and the compressor, and any regulators.

PT Dave
10-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Matt,
thanks for the info.
Also, what do you think about Water Traps ??

Matt@RFR
10-17-2004, 03:19 PM
This is what I do: Let's say you have a main air line running in the crotch of the wall and ceiling. You have a couple drops off of that main line to plug in air hoses. When you make the drops, go down to where you want the airline to plug in with a Tee, then continue the line below that point another foot or two to a plastic gate valve. There's your trap. Crack that valve open when you drain the compressor and it should get rid of all the water in the system.

That's the simplest, least expensive way I've found to do it. I'm sure there's a zillion ways to go about it though.

You'll hear guys talk about running the main line uphill away from the compressor so the water will run back into it, but if you plumb yours the way I did, it shouldn't matter. That way you can tuck the main line right up in the crotch of the wall and ceiling.

I can post pictures if that would help.

68protouring454
10-17-2004, 04:43 PM
matt is dead on, sometimes i will pitch mine towards which ever corner i am going to, not much just 1/16th a foot sor so, then put just traps in the corner and also like matt said on drop downs run a tee with regulator run off to side and trap running straight down about a foot
jake

Richz68
10-22-2004, 06:52 PM
There is a nice diagram (Air Line Hookup)on this page of TP Tools website to correctly plumb your shop....

http://www.tptools.com/statictext/tech_notes.asp?mscssid=MNKSKWKQJ07V9MXK36JFR6K2QGT 83HW4

:icon996: