PDA

View Full Version : looking for some info on the easiest power adder

importkiller69ss
05-01-2006, 05:00 PM
ok i am new to the power adder forum.. i have always wanted either a blower or a twin turbo setup on my motor and just have a few question..i am no where near being albe to afford this but will do it in the future and have a few quistions....
would a mild sbc be able to support either adders?
i would never be able to afford banks kits or any other tt setups but how well can you put together a homemade kit from say a grand national or a cummins....and since neither my father or i have any experience would it be better to jsut get a supercharger kit
all in all once i decide to go either route which is better. i am not looking for tons and tons of power just reliability and fun..so if you would do one on a 19 year old college student budget which one
home made t/t setup
or a blower from procharger vortec paxton
and since i already have a mild and new sbc can it supprt either

shmoov69
05-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Easier? Blower kit.
Cheaper? Junkyard turbo DIY kit
Better? six one way and half a dozen the other!
A JY turbo kit can work quite well if you do a little studying up on it and are not afraid of some fabrication. The blower will look better if you are not a good fabricator also. But, you can have a near stock engine to put a set of turbo's on and keep the tune mild and have a ball.....or two!

importkiller69ss
05-01-2006, 08:30 PM
i am not familiar with the terms DIY or a jy turbo i am a virgin when it comes to this what would be the best donor turbos ....what else is involved......wastegates (where to get them) intercoolers also where to get them....and braket headers carbs....i just have no info....i work in a hot rod shop so fabricating isnt any issue we jsut have never dealt with turbos or blowers

Beeper
05-02-2006, 08:44 AM
JY = Junk Yard
DIY = Do It Yourself

shmoov69
05-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Go to www.toohighpsi.com
Mike has alot of cool stuff and info on there with other links too. The "budget twin turbo 351" is what told me that I could do it! That was when everyone else told me that I couldn't!

importkiller69ss
05-03-2006, 10:35 PM
ok so say i get a good turno off a big cummins what else would i need to rob off it to make it work and i know i would need to fab exuasy and tubing thinking of doung it similar to this setup http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0309pon_turbo/
could a mild non forged 350 making roughly 380 at the crank handle this with moderate psi......what else would i need to make it work ..any help would be great...

importkiller69ss
05-04-2006, 02:28 PM
i hear that one big turbo makes more power at high rpm which is not suitable for my situation...i dont want alot of boost and power. right now my motor is around 380 so with a daily driver would a single turbo from a diesel work or would twins be the way to go...shooting for maybe 500 550 hp is this unabtainable with non forged bottom end

WELTERRACER
05-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Last year i had originally put my procharger on my engine with stock rods and crank.. (engine was close to 700hp at 10psi..)

The pistons broke not the crank or rods.. (due to too high compression ratio and low octain fuel)

Ya your motor can hold up... expecially if it is 6-8psi and a intercooler helps to

importkiller69ss
05-14-2006, 10:13 AM
cool i sitll dont have the money for it so by the time i do i may can just build another motor for it

calforniacuda
05-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Nitrous Oxide is the quickest, easiest, cheapest path to instant power increase.