PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a welder

Ackattack
05-01-2006, 10:45 AM
What's the best place to get a welder? A local place, or someplace off the internet? If internet, any recommendations?

I'm thinking of the Millermatic 175 or Lincoln sp175plus. Any pros or cons with this versus other brands.

My budget is about $1000 for the welder, auto darkening helmet, bottle, and the few other things I'll need, so the welder (about $800) doesn't leave a lot left over.

Camaro Zach
05-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Usually big wholesellers on ebay have the best deals shipped for free. (Quimby corp. and IOC are the places i bought my MM251, spectrum 375, and syncrowave 180 from)

some have said their local shops matched the online prices but none by me did.

If i were you i'd save my money and hold out for a MM210, it will give you a much better duty cycle and amperage range.

Matt@RFR
05-01-2006, 07:50 PM
If you buy your machine online, they won't give a damn if it breaks down or if you need advice. If you buy your machine at a local dealer, you would take it there instead of shipping it to the manufacturer and give you any advice you may need. You can also set up and run different machines at a local dealer to get you started welding. Most times they even have the electrical stuff you might need too. Yes, you pay more at a local dealer, but you are buying something tangible with that extra money.

(This only applies for sure if you buy a Miller :) )

BADVELLE
05-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Try your local AirGas store, mine has been great to work with!

Ackattack
05-03-2006, 05:52 AM
I got a Millermatic 175 yesterday from AirGas. I ended up paying about an extra $100 over what I could have gotten it off the internet for, but it sounds like they will offer me support and answer any questions I have since I bought it there.

Already started making a cart for it.

Learned an important lesson right from the get go: Make sure your chop saw is square BEFORE you cut. :)