PDA

View Full Version : De-arch ($40) rear leafs or Hotchkis drop? Pro's v. Cons

Wildthing
10-16-2004, 03:59 AM
I have wheels on the way (17"). 68 Camaro (427ci) with big block hotchkis springs in the front (2" drop). New wheels n tires gonna look lonely in the back.
What are the detriments to taking the springs to have them de-arched to flat (is this even possible)?
-or-
Is there a compelling reason to go with the Hotchkis drop rear springs?
Any performance differences anyone can think of?

(I saw CamaroBoy's posting about de-arching his springs and got to thinking...)

baz67
10-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro for keeping the old leafs: cheaper cost.

Pros for getting Hotchkis: no guess work on drop, get to replace rear bushing with poly for better handling, higher spring rate for better handling, biased spring toward the front to help with wheel hop on acceleration.
Brian

CAMAROBOY69
10-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Not to cause an argument but I have never had wheel hop yet with the de-arched leafs.
If you have the money just get the Hotchkis.

zuess4u
10-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Or another option, may be, look into Landrum springs and their rear sliders, I bought a pair of 250lbs for around 220.00. This combo should lower the rear, right at 2", and if its not enough for you, a 1'' block would really bring it down. The sliders eliminate some of the soft riding spring load. it changes the arc center hence the decreasing body roll. They can be welded directly on the frame rails, or bolted. The springs and sliders combined should lower the car 2" like I said, and now you dont have rear shackels hanging down.