PDA

View Full Version : DISC installation Problems...Do I have the correct Bracket?

Tim_in_NC
05-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Hi Guys,

I was bolting on my D1SC yesterday and ran into a problem. After mounting the Head Unit/Tensioner Bracket, I began to install the D1SC Head Unit itselft... This is when I realized that it wouldn't bolt up, it interfears/bumps with my Edelbroc tall valve covers enough to keep the mounting holes from lining up (off about 1/4" or so) ... The blower hits on the upper side of the valve cover, not the top. I then began looking around at how others have their prochargers mounted and see that there are possibly 2 different brackets out there...

The following picture shows the 2 different brackets that I've found, I have the one on the Left... The one on the Right looks as if it might give me more room... Which should procharger has supplied me with? ... the engine is a Small Block Chevy...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Thanks guys,
TIM

whytry
05-01-2006, 10:20 AM
If I recall Procharger make an offset bracket, sounds like you might need that one. Not sure if you get a choice when you ordered it. I think they all come with a "standard" bracket for SBC.... They offset one moves the blower out and down about 2" I think. Someone else will chime in, but I thought it something like 2"....

Tim_in_NC
05-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I called procharger today and they mentioned an offset bracet of some sort that you use in conjunction with the main mounting bracket (part # AB007A-085)... Was told that this gives you an extra 1" or so of clearance ... ($60) ...

If I can't figure anything that I'm doing wrong, I'll be ordering one...

Thanks,
TIM

ProdigyCustoms
05-01-2006, 10:43 AM
That is the way to go Tim, or you can notch your valve cover. Your dealer should have quized you / warned you about valve cover clearance.

Tim_in_NC
05-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Frank... are you familiar with and/or used this part (# AB007A-085) from procharger? ... The procharger rep. was pretty vague about the part # ...

Tim_in_NC
05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Anyone ever used this bracket before? Your supposed to bolt this adapter plate directly to the cylinder head and then your main bracket bolts to this adapter, thus giving you more clearance by shifting everything to the right...

ProdigyCustoms
05-03-2006, 05:52 AM
We usually notch the valve cover Tim.

camcojb
05-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Guess we've been lucky. I've done a couple D1SC's with tall cast covers; neither hit. Maybe they supplied the offset bracket up front, but I thought I was getting the standard stuff, never seen the offset bracket.

Jody

Tim_in_NC
05-03-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm not a good enough craftsman to notch the cover... my version would be a little love from a Round End Hammer ... :) and I don't wont to do that ... So looks like I'll just order the $60 offset bracket from Procharger... Wish me luck!

thanks guys,
TIM

Blown353
05-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Tim, sorry for not getting back to you earlier, but my bracket has P/N AB007A-8 engraved into it.

Troy

Tim_in_NC
05-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Thanks Troy... No Problem...

It appears that a couple years back ATI changed the design of the SBC Bracket ... The newer bracket is less "Tall Valve Cover" friendly ... My offset piece should be here soon... I just hope my overall geometry and belt length will still be ok... (I'm only going to be shifting everything over about 1/2" or so...) Wish me Luck!

awr68
05-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Tim keep us informed!!

whytry
05-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Let me know how it goes too!! I just tried to install mine and it hits the valvecover as well :(

Tim_in_NC
05-10-2006, 04:40 AM
Ok Guys...

I got the adapter bracket yesterday... The back of the bracket comes notched for valve cover clearance when sitting flush against the clyinder head, but it doesn't come notched to allow for clearance for any part of the intake that might be hanging over...

So, I had to grind off a little material from the back of the adapter, but did get it to bolt up flush against the cylinder head ... This bracket allowed me to move my blower over approx. 1" ...

So far, so good... I'll let you know if I run into any geometry problems but it looks like everything, including the belt length is going to be ok due to a quick mock up...

Here's a picture of the bracket... (It gives you lots of mounting possibilities) ...

Total for the bracket shipped from ATI was $75 ... It came with smaller length bolts to mount the bracket to the cylinder head... but it didn't come with shorter bolts to be used to mount the main head unit bracket to the adapter... You'll either have to make a trip to the hardware store, or order these through ATI ...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

whytry
05-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Great info, thanks Tim, looks like I will be making a call today too, I am running into that problem, mine is hitting the valve cover too...

Tim_in_NC
05-10-2006, 08:21 AM
If you call... I've had my best Customer Service with an ATI rep. by the name of Shannon O'Conner ...

whytry
05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Oh well, looks like they don't make a bracket to fit the F1R on a BBC and not have to notch the valve cover anymore..... Guess I will be cutting and having it welded up then...

Good luck on your install.

Tim_in_NC
05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Just curious if your dealer quized you or warned you of the possible clearance issues with the Big Block/Valve Covers & the F1R? -- Just Kiddin'

I didn't want to have to notch my valve covers either, but if I had to...I would ...

Thanks man...hope it all work out for you as well... Looking forward to seeing what a 468 w/ a F1R will do...

-TIM