PDA

View Full Version : Infineon on 29 Apr - Great Day

Varkwso
04-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Just got back to the hotel from a day at the track with Norcal NASA at Sears Point. The track has changed a bit since the last time I ran it. It is still a really fun track with great elevation changes and a challenging mix of turns . For me, it does not seem to require the precise placement to get through turns fast that a track such as Sebring does. Saying that, precision does still matter in turns 2, 8 & 11. I would put it after VIR, Road Atlanta and Barber in my order of "hilly courses" I have run in the last year.

Norcal NASA treated me as a VIP since I was from NASA-SE (and I worked grid for them today - mostly in the first busy sessions in the AM). I did not instruct for them since I have not been through the Norcal NASA indoctrination and instructor blessing. They do not recognize any quals outside of there own system. It was great - I had instructor priviledges/ID and no students:cool: . They really did work very hard to make me welcome at the event. It was strange not to meet ANY of the track guys I know from all my east coast activities in the paddock though.

Not knowing anybody I went looking for folks I had never met in person from forums (Corvette, pro-touring, etc). I did get to connect people with forum identities and meet some other great people in the process.

I did get to ride with in a very nice 2002 Vette Coupe, a killer 350Z, and a pretty quick Mustang Cobra to get my high speed fix at the track. My track weapon was a Ford Fuzion:3gears: . While it was quite peppy, actually passed a few cars and did not get passed at all ( I lay that on track timing more than anything else) I would not recommend dumping your C6 ZO6 to get one as track monster. It is definitely a momentum car, has amazing grip for the tire size (they are a little scrubbed currently) and the brakes (never really used on the track) are outstanding. It would be a great car in the rain due to body roll helping the tires bite.

Norcal does things different than a lot of events. Tech is available at multiple locations in the state before an event - they charge $40 if you show at the track without a tech form filled and stamped. They require a face shield or glasses to get on the track for all cars. I ran the track with my reading glasses on - that may explain my "experimental lines". Speaking of lines - they have a school line and you had best by god follow it! They have mandatory "downloads" after each session. They are a lot like "standup" I endured in flight school - some were a bit arrogant and condescending but some were useful. They also run HPDE 3 as a race prep training group - no signals for passing, multiple passing, manuevering to set up the pass, passing in brake zones,etc. It was a very aggressive group and many did not have the car skills for it - IMHO of course. HPDE 1,2 & 4 are run like the rest of the NASA events I have been to.

There was a really fast 69 Camaro in TTB (Hugger Orange, naturally, and the owner was a lot of fun to talk to) and a 65 Mustang in TTB was also hitting good numbers. There was another 69 Camaro (Curtiss69 SS) there in HPDE2 doeing a great job heating up the track. Audi's seem to be out really in force, the prancing Moose was well represented (Volvo's), the FWD contingent, the Mustang contingent and almost all the race classes. There were even 4 or 5 C5 ZO6's to carry the banner.

Overall great time, nice track, friendly people and good event.

Orngcrush69
04-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Sounds like you had a great time Varkwso! I've been to the Socal Nasa events at Buttonwillow, and will probably do at least one this year so maybe I could talk you into running down here with us.

Varkwso
05-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Sounds like you had a great time Varkwso! I've been to the Socal Nasa events at Buttonwillow, and will probably do at least one this year so maybe I could talk you into running down here with us.

I ran it once last year and it was a fun track with lots of runoff. I can be talked into running almost any track at almost any time...:cool:

jeff

CurtiSS 69
05-01-2006, 10:03 PM
It was great to finally get my car out to the track even though it is a work in progress machine. I loved melting and chunking white letter 215/65-15's T/A's and throwing 6krpm shifts in my '69 daily driver. It great too see Jeff Varkwso there and a very well prepared Orange 69 Camaro. NASA put on a great, but crowded event. I did run into a problem with fuel starvation after the tank was 1/2 empty, but I guess I will just need to top it off between sessions next time. I can hardly wait until next time!

Regards

CurtiSS 69

mpozzi
05-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey CurtiSS,

There are a bunch of open track events all throughout CA this year. A few of us are trekking down to Willow Springs next weekend (see Alcino's Bachelor Party thread in this forum) and it should be fun. There's another event at Buttonwillow later this summer. Hot at that time of year so if you run, make sure you and your '69 can tolerate heat.

Mary Pozzi

Varkwso
05-03-2006, 04:43 AM
It was great to finally get my car out to the track even though it is a work in progress machine. I loved melting and chunking white letter 215/65-15's T/A's and throwing 6krpm shifts in my '69 daily driver. It great too see Jeff Varkwso there and a very well prepared Orange 69 Camaro. NASA put on a great, but crowded event. I did run into a problem with fuel starvation after the tank was 1/2 empty, but I guess I will just need to top it off between sessions next time. I can hardly wait until next time!

Regards

CurtiSS 69

It was great to meet you and see your car ripping it up. I think I mentioned something about your tires going to have a bad day....:rotfl: but you were going to have a great day....

CurtiSS 69
05-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey CurtiSS,

There are a bunch of open track events all throughout CA this year. A few of us are trekking down to Willow Springs next weekend (see Alcino's Bachelor Party thread in this forum) and it should be fun. There's another event at Buttonwillow later this summer. Hot at that time of year so if you run, make sure you and your '69 can tolerate heat.

Mary Pozzi

Please let me know when the crew will go to Buttonwillow. I unfortunately have plans for the 13-14 May weekend.

Regards

-CurtiSS 69