PDA

View Full Version : Rear leaf spring sliders

68 firehawk
10-15-2004, 04:28 PM
What do you guys think of using rear, leaf spring sliders?

jeffandre
10-16-2004, 10:20 AM
I have them but have yet to drive on them. I had to go that route in order to get the car lower, plus I liked the technical info regarding how sliders are better for cornering cars than shackles. I have heard from reputable sources that they are noisy, but my car is so dang noisy that they will just add to the music.

I had to have custom aluminum bushings made for my sliders due to the Vette Brakes leafs having different eye sizes. I mounted the sliders to a 1/4" metal plate (about 8" square) that bolted to the original shackle eye in the rear frame rail and then there are 6 bolts that pass through the trunk floor to another 1/4" plate welded to the floor (the cage will tie into this).

Jeff

F70t/a
10-16-2004, 12:20 PM
hey jeff, nice to see your car coming along. How low is it gonna be off the ground?

zuess4u
10-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Im currentley building my own sliders, using percision bearings and not the poly rollers like Landrums. The design is not mine, it comes from Howe. I think the noise you get comes through the trunk area, and not so much from the sliders, because their directly on the frame rail.

68 firehawk
10-18-2004, 08:35 PM
I've read a lot about them and they seem like a pretty good idea for my 68. All i need to do is build some bracketing and weld them in. They will allow me to bring in my rear leafs in a little to support bigger tires while also allowing me to lower the car more and decrease body roll, this is awesom. I'm supprised i don't see them more often. Do you know if many people know about them? If noise is the only issue that's the least of my worries :).
Thanks guys
Jacob

PAI Racing
10-19-2004, 10:00 AM
I thought I heard somewhere that that dirt track guys used sliders because they induced roll steer. I can't picture in my mind how they would create any more roll steer than the shackles, but if the do, that would be a bummer on a car that is supposed to be designed to corner well.

Steve N 69 69 69
10-22-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm using sliders for all of the reasons you mentioned. I have not driven on them yet, but they look and feel like they will be nice and smooth. I'm using Landrum sliders with bearings, mounted to custom plates I welded to the frame. I moved them inboard 1-7/8" and the springs clear my 335-30-18's, with no mods to the front spring mounts. theres more pics on my site, on page 9
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/10/medium-1.jpg

jeffandre
10-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Dave,
Not sure at this time, I will try to get it as low as possible. May need to do some custom flares to resemble the Firebird flares on 2nd Gens to get lower. I should have some pics ready in a month or so...

Jeff