PDA

View Full Version : Sneek Peak! My '67 Mustang Version 3.0

B Cichocki
10-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Well, I've been sitting on this for awhile, and felt like posting a few pics. Over this past summer, my dad and I decided to completely redo my Mustang. It is now officially Pro-Touring. Version 1 was basically a stock resto with 15" Torq-Thrusts and exhaust being the only deviations from stock, besides the engine. Version 2 was basically the same with the addition of Global West Cat 3 suspension package and Yokahama tires. Version 3 adds 4-wheel Baer discs (thanks again to Clint for another killer set of brakes), 17" Vintage 45s, Eagle F1s, TKO-500 replacing the tired C4 slushbox, 9" rear, and other goodies. Not to mention a complete teardown including new paint and bodywork. The car is alot farther along now than the pics below, but I'm going to hold out on showing the finished product until it's completely done. That will come at Christmas break when I head home, but until then enjoy these buildup pics.
Oh, and Camaroboy/Adam, I hope this can be some inspiration for you and your girl. Doesn't have to be a fastback to be cool! :naughty:
-Brian

phonedude_mln
10-15-2004, 07:01 PM
looks great -- please tell me more about the wheel / tire combo: tire size, backspacing, etc.

also -- the color is unusual and beautiful....

lastly -- where does one buy baer brakes for classic fords? baer.com doesn't say, and
web searches only find late model mustang info.

thanks.

1970cuda
10-15-2004, 07:11 PM
baer has all the neat stuff for old mustangs. hal's personal car is a 69 mach with over 450000 miles.

B Cichocki
10-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Hell, as long as I posted those pics I might as well post the most recent ones. I'll just have to make a final update when the car is completely buttoned up. :smoke:

Phonedude,
Thanks for the compliments.

Wheels: Made by Vintage Wheel Works. Really nice quality, extremely good service. Fronts are 17x8 with 4.5" bs, Rears are 17x9.5 with 6" bs. The front tires in the first pictures are 245/40/17. The tires that I'm going to run, and what are in the pictures below are 245/35/17. I put different springs in the car and it is looooooww. I'm talking 2.25" from the ground to the headers kind of low. Even with the fender lips completely removed and replaced by welding in a fine gauge rod, there were major clearance issues with the 245/40s. The 35s are a full inch shorter, so that gave me an extra half inch to play with at the lip. (I think it looks better with the lower profile anyway.) Rears are 275/40/17, no clearance problems whatsoever, lips not rolled. You could probably fit a 10" wheel in there with a 285 no problem, but VWW goes from a 9.5" to 11" width in their wheels.

Color: Over the past couple of years of driving this car around, the most frequent comment from people was how much they like the color. It's actually the original paint color for the car, and is called Burnt Amber. It's really unusual, you hardly ever see other Mustangs with it. It really pops when the sun hits it, brings out a nice gold hue.

As far as the brakes, Baer hasn't seemed to update their website for some time, but they make all of their kits for early stangs.
-Brian

68protouring454
10-16-2004, 12:36 AM
very cool mustang, especially for a coupe, good job, what is the front fascia?? a eleanor?? looks good nice touch, stance is perfect, hey still got the chevelle?? any done pics??
jake

B Cichocki
10-16-2004, 05:13 AM
Thanks, Jake! Yes, I still have the Chevelle, but it was put on the back burner over the summer because of the Mustang. Some progress was still made, however. I've almost maxed out my attachment limit with these pictures, but I'll start a thread on the Chevelle in a few days.

The front fascia is from a place in Connecticut called Cobra Automotive. ( http://www.cobraautomotive.com/new%20products.htm ) It was a super nice piece, for being fiberglass it required practically no finish work. All we did was glass in some more material in places that looked a tad weak. I really like the fact that the brake ducts are functional. The hood was a whole other story. That thing was a royal piece of *****. If anyone wants to buy something from Mustangs Plus, think again. It's a good thing my body man is proficient in fiberglass; he did an unbelievable job and it looks like a steel hood now, but I probably have $2000 worth of labor in a $350 hood. :barf:
-Brian

Kenova
10-16-2004, 06:52 AM
I want!!!!!! :drool:
The semi-gloss black paint is a nice touch, especially the way you carried it to the rear quarter. Nice touch :yum:
Your hood, as it is now, is one of the nicest hoods I've seen. I say you make a mould and start selling hoods!
Ken

Ralph LoGrasso
10-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Car looks AMAZING, Brian!!!

colt zantop
10-17-2004, 11:13 AM
very nice. hood looks killer and stance is perfect!!!

colt45

phonedude_mln
10-18-2004, 06:57 AM
re: paint -- I guess that is the 67 version of "Emberglo". I believe 66 was the last year they used that
name for their gold/bronze paint. It is very rare and very beautiful.

re: brakes -- I know Baer makes them, but I've never seen them for sale at any of the usual vendors. Do you
have to buy directly from Baer? how much does the usual 13-front, 12-rear setup cost?

re: your car -- I esp. like the rear shots. The rear of the coupe demonstrates just how much wider
and more aggressive the 67/68s are over the 65/66s. The fastback obscures the low, wide rear deck on the
67. beautiful car.

kmcanally
10-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Very nice Mustang...nice to see another coupe on this site...I bought Baers for my Mustang almost 10 years ago...the early Mustangs were actually some of Hals very first applications...your suspension and brakes are identical to my 68 coupe...seeing the Vintage 45's makes me want to get rid of my Cobra R's...

CAMAROBOY69
10-19-2004, 06:29 AM
OH that is awesome!!! ANother inspiring 67 Mustang Coupe like ours! Great pics and car is coming along well. My girlfriend is going to love these pics!! I realy like the addition of the Eleanor front!

JohnnyGMachine
10-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Finally a MUSTANG. Being a Mustang guy I've been waiting to see a couple nicely done Mustangs on the board. The stance, wheel and tire combo is just perfect. I like the paint job a lot also, very cool. I'd like to see some more pics of this, nore of the side maybe. Thumbs up from me!

Steve Chryssos
10-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Way to go Brian!! Looks awesome.

justanova
10-19-2004, 03:18 PM
very nice, I think I like the "trunkstangs" a little better than the fastbacks.

litevette
10-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Way cool. I like everything about it! I would probably try to do the same if I had that car.

B Cichocki
10-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the compliments, guys! It means alot coming from the people on this board. As far as coupes v. fastbacks, I lean towards coupes as well. Don't get me wrong, I love fastbacks and wouldn't mind having one, but the coupes to me have more of a sporting flair. Lighter, looks smaller, more agile, a bit more muscular in the rear. I was talking to a guy who was looking at the car with me when the paintwork was finished, and I think he summed it up nicely: "Looks like a snub-nose revolver."

Also, in my mind this whole pro-touring thing really has its roots in the Trans-Am series from 65-70. Nothing like a race series devoted to pony cars going toe to toe on road courses. I've always loved the Shelby Terlingua cars, and since I was going to redo it anyway I decided to do kind of a tribute car. All of the originals were coupes, no fastbacks. They were mustard yellow, but they had a similar blackout treatment. Here's what they looked like:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/10/67sc4JPG-1.jpg

-Brian

kmracer
10-23-2004, 12:23 PM
i frekkin love your car..... i was thinkin bout doin supthing simalar..... how is the ride.. how does the car handle. how does it stop? srry bout all the questions but i want almost the same setup in my car....what engine do you have?
is there a drool smily?

Zefhix
10-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Brian, your car looks beautiful. Everything looks like it flows together quite nicely and the car has a very nice subtle agression to it. The work in the car is very apparent....VERY nice car.

Streetking
10-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Looks really cool!!

SW

67Sally
10-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Brian you car looks great!

BANKO
10-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Brian-

I like your car a lot, the paint scheme is very cool. The flat black strips on the top and along lower portion are great. I like the term Zefhix used to describe your car "subtle aggression" The stance is awesome!

-Josh

Travis77
10-27-2004, 06:12 PM
It's always nice to see a mustang on this site. Love what your doing with the car. I have got a 67 fastback that I haven't even started on yet.I have bought the global west coil over conversion, but I have not got the spindles for it. My question is, what year/make spindles did you get that would work with the baer brakes and also GW suspension. Also what did you do with the rack and pinion setup? Having a hard time getting the same info. from baer and global west. It's even harder putting a power rack and pinion set up in the mix. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks

68protouring454
10-28-2004, 03:47 AM
brian, on word, awesome car!! that is for a ford!!!! lol, kinda off topic but does anyone know who is selling the complete one peice floor for the arly mustangs??? by complete i mean rocker to rocker, front to back, i saw an add in one of the mags and have a friend who wants to buy the peice.
again nice car!! if anyone knows please let me know
jake

GT350Clone
10-28-2004, 05:53 AM
WOW! Looks GREAT! :1st:

Love that color too! A 67/68 T/A coupe has always been one of my "what if's" - looks like you "nailed it"! :woot:

Do you have any drive-time on it yet? That ride height may be too low - won't know until you drive it. You'll like the GW stuff, I've had mine on for 6 years now.

B Cichocki
10-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks again for all the compliments, guys! I really appreciate it. :cheers: Ok, to answer some questions:

kmracer,
As far as ride is concerned, it's pretty stiff. Riding in the back seat on a bumpy road is quite the experience. Handling is awesome, but the tradeoff is a not so supple ride. There is NO comparison to stock as far as the suspension's capability is concerned. Forget about it. WORLDS of difference. With the original suspension, operation was dicey at best. I would really recommend the Global West stuff. Your only other options aside from fabricating stuff yourself are: Grab-A-Trak, Total Control (which is under new ownership and supposedly even MORE expensive now), and Griggs Racing. If I was going to build a hardcore car from scratch, it would have all the Griggs crap, but that entails $$$$$ and cutting up the car.
As far as the brakes, the only time I've driven the car in it's current form was around the block when my parents flew me home from school to escape one of the hurricanes (can't remember which one now, there were so many) that hit Florida. I've heard nothing but good things about the brakes, and I'm a big Baer fan (I've got their 6-piston Alcon setup on my Chevelle).
Now the engine is the only part of the car that isn't really up-to-snuff. It's a 289 with all of the requisite performance crap done to it (bored .030, ported and polished 4v heads, roller valvetrain, highrise intake, holley carb, etc...), but it's by no means a power-house. It's definitely a peppy motor, and should be even more fun to drive now with the 5-speed and different rear gears (a C4 auto with a 2.70 rear gear in a peg-leg 8" didn't make for very spirited driving). This car has to be my daily driver here at school, so I need something with a semblance of drivability and reliability. As soon as it's removed from daily transportation status, it will get a fire-breathing stroker motor. Until then, the Procharged 502 in my Chevelle will have to suffice. :usa:

Zefhix,
Thanks man! As a fellow in-progress builder of a pro-touring '70 Chevelle, I look forward to seeing how your car turns out. I dig the looks of the Vette wheels on there.

Travis,
I don't have the GW coilover setup, but I would ASSume that it still utilizes dimensions to use a factory spindle? The Baers for the '67 make use of the original '67 drum brake spindles. I had converted over to a factory style front-disc setup before swapping to the Baers, so it was fortuitous that I decided to hang on to the original drum spindles from the car. I am using the factory power steering setup (which believe me, is less than ideal), so I can't help you out on the rack and pinion issue. BUT, provided the coilover setup is compatible with the factory spindle, you will need to use the original drum-brake spindles for the Baer brakes.

Jake,
I too have seen the floorpan, but I'm not sure who makes it. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks again for the kind words.

Cloney,
Thanks for the compliments! I really love your car. I dig the looks of the Hopsters on the 65-66s. I don't have any drive-time on the car in it's current state. I have had the GW suspension on the car for 2 years now, though. Two thumbs up from me. The only thing that has changed is the front springs. I was never happy with the way the car sat. It was probably an inch and a half higher in the front than the back, so it always looked like the car was launching from a stop. :hmm: So I had some custom springs made, and yes it is looooooow. We had quite the tribulations with the new ride height. It appears at this point that it shouldnt be a problem. The lips have been removed from the front fenders, and the 35-series tires really helped matters. One thing we did do was remove the shims from behind the upper control arms, which allowed us to kick in the wheels at the top. While looking at the car when it's been on the trailer, when going through a dip and the suspension compresses, the wheels tuck up into the fenders without catching. It's probably (hopefully) going to just be a matter of being extra careful with speed-bumps, and turning into driveways, etc...

SW, William, and Josh,
Thanks for the compliments! And SW, I'll be in touch in the very near future to talk about a set of Profil 5's for the Chevelle.

-Brian

Stangonline.com
11-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Do you have any pics of the build, in progress? I am currently trying to buy back my first car (68 coupe). I have always regretted selling it years back.

Very nice car.
Jeff

Zefhix
11-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Zefhix,Thanks man! As a fellow in-progress builder of a pro-touring '70 Chevelle, I look forward to seeing how your car turns out. I dig the looks of the Vette wheels on there.-Brian

Thanks, I'd love to see pics of your chevelle.....do you have some you could send my way or post up? :cool:

CAMAROBOY69
11-12-2004, 06:42 AM
Off topic since I already said how incredible this car was but....I am also in need of that floor pan since we have the exact same 67 Mustang in our garage but ours needs new floors.

68protouring454
11-13-2004, 03:40 AM
adam, i found it
www.paddockparts.com
they have from rocker to rocker pan, looks very nice, expensive but you will have a perfect looking floor, check it out
jake