PDA

View Full Version : Power Tour Prep

Neil B
04-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Over lunch today, I fired up my Power Tour car for the first time in 2 months. I've been working late nights getting it ready - new radiator, hoses, belts, brake upgrades, fuel filter/new pump, new tires, fluids, tranny mount, engine detailing, paint touch ups, the list goes on and on. It got me curious what other people are doing to get ready. Are any of you guys thrashing right now?

Jagarang
04-28-2006, 10:23 AM
:ssst: Ummmm...Not me!

69Nova
04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm about to start thrashing. I just decided that I can go today. And there are alot of little thing i want to do to the car. And a couple of bigger things too. Sound be fun.

Bill Howell
04-28-2006, 11:18 AM
For us first timers, it might be nice if some of those that have done this made us a punch list of things to do/things to be sure and take/etc.
I have a couple bugs to work out on the goat, but pretty much ready to go. I am still unsure what do do about a spare, I got to come up with something.

Jagarang
04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
No spare for me!! AAA Plus and a prayer.

I was wondering about asking for a list of pre-tour prep from those more experienced as well.

130fe
04-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I am starting the Vintage air/ Dakota digital cruise control install next week. Still waiting on the march bracket set up in the mail. Hope to get it all in in time.

Neil B
04-28-2006, 12:41 PM
For us first timers, it might be nice if some of those that have done this made us a punch list of things to do/things to be sure and take/etc.
I have a couple bugs to work out on the goat, but pretty much ready to go. I am still unsure what do do about a spare, I got to come up with something.

I'm not taking a spare either. The nitrous bottle is in the spare tire well. lol. There's a Power Tour forum over on HotRod.com where people are discussing what to bring....

http://forums.hotrod.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=81950&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Here are some things that I plan on bringing based on my experience last year...

1) Golf umbrella
2) Sunblock
3) Spare shoes (so you don't track mud into your ride)
4) Trash bags (for wet car cover)
5) Spare set of car keys
6) Spare electric fuel pump
7) Spare rad hose and belts
8) Spare wire, connectors
9) Misc. tools you may need that you think other people won't have
10) Helmet, long pants, long sleeve shirt for the drag strips
11) Cleaning Supplies
12) Distilled water
13) Fold-up chairs
14) Registration and proof of insurance (they require it at check in)
15) Mapquest Directions to/from the venue to the hotel.

Steve Chryssos
04-30-2006, 05:43 AM
-Speed up alternator: So that it charges at idle. Larger crank pulley installed along with numerous one off spacers and brackets to make it all work
-Exhaust: Modified a pair of used Hedman Husler headers (that fit!!) to match my cylinder heads. New X-Pipe from Hedman
-New Moser 9" with 3:73 gears, TruTrac, aluminum pinion support, big axles. The rear is 1" narrower overall to improve tire clearance.
-Modified leaf spring plates: Extended shock mounting point downward to increase shock travel
-550lb coil springs: To replace the 450's. Too much preload so the 450's approach coil bind too soon
-Install Door Glass: My car never had door glass. Too heavy, but I guess I will need it for Power Tour. Electric Life regulators.
-DSE electric RS headlight door motors. Seen them in action yesterday. I gotta have 'em.
-Tune up.
I might even wash the car and scrape last year's bugs off the windshield. Maybe.

dhardison
04-30-2006, 06:59 AM
I'm about to start thrashing. Me too! :naughty:

69Nova
04-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Oh Dan thats sick. I got to see your car on the power tour this year. Man I cant wait. I can only do two stops but its going to be awsome.

Neil B
04-30-2006, 09:34 AM
-Install Door Glass: My car never had door glass. Too heavy, but I guess I will need it for Power Tour. Electric Life regulators.

Nah, just pull the carpets. : )

Last year, I really got a kick out of watching the Cobra kit car guys. In the rain, they'd slouch down behind the windscreen and cover their heads like the chopper guys do in cold weather.

dhardison
04-30-2006, 02:22 PM
I got to see your car on the power tour this year.
Same here Andrew. What two stops will you be attending?

ProdigyCustoms
04-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Us, not much, just working 7 days a week, 16 hours a day to finish Kevins car, while getting the chase trailer / mobile repair facitly ready, shaking out Prodigy, and getting ready for Goodguys in Jacksonville.

Steve Chryssos
04-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Nah, just pull the carpets. : )

Last year, I really got a kick out of watching the Cobra kit car guys. In the rain, they'd slouch down behind the windscreen and cover their heads like the chopper guys do in cold weather.

Wouldn't be the first time. I guess I'm becoming too civilized. Heck, I'm even considering cupholders.:rotfl:

http://www.joesracing.com/catalog/item.php/29/

69Nova
04-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Same here Andrew. What two stops will you be attending?

I'll be there at the start in Kissimmee and do the Gainsville and then Perry stop then back on my way home.

69Nova
04-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey Frank when is Goodguys in Jacksonville?

ProdigyCustoms
04-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Goodguys is the weekend before Power Tour

69Nova
04-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Ok that gives me a little time to work on my car. Thanks.