PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new headliner

GUS68
04-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey guys!!! This weekend I am going to attempt to install a new reproduction headliner in my 68 chevelle. has anyone ever done this?? have any tips??? It is vinel kind of stuff and has the bows. I would take any help I can get!!! Thanks guys!!

redss86
04-29-2006, 05:01 PM
I know this could be a little late, but better late than never.

If you haven't removed the old hdlnr, then obviously that's first. Make sure that when you remove the bows from the old hdlnr, you either directly install them in the new one or label them per location. They are different lengths. Before you install them in the new liner make sure they are not excessively rusted. This could cause the listing to stick and not slide on the bow like it should. A little scuff and some paint does wonders. Once the bows are in the new liner, center them and cut the listing about an inch or two in from the end of the bow.

Next, you will put liner/bows in the car and hook the bows in the appropriate holes. I don't remember if the Chevelles have the rear bow retainers or not. These would be small pieces of wire that hold the bow towards the rear of the car. If you do have these, then hook them over the rear bow. Just make sure you have the liner center and pulled toward each side before you hook these retainers. If you don't have these retainers, then ignore this section.

If you have the retainers then you need to glue the front edge of the roof and the hdlnr. Dependin on the glue you use, you may have to allow it to dry a little bit. (follow the directions) Then starting in the center, pull the hdlnr tight and stick it to the roof. Working from the center to the corners continue to pull the hdlnr forward and towards the corners. There should be very few wrinkles going side to side when the front is all attached. Then do the same on the rear.

After the front and the rear are attached, you are ready to start on the sides. I usually start w/ the middle seam. Put you glue on along the entire side. When the glue is ready, start by pulling on the seams tight. You may have to use the palm of you hand to help pull the hdlnr tight. To do this, lightly hit the hdlnr right in the curve of the liner. This will help the hdlnr slide on the bows. After you have the seams attached then you can pull the material between the seams. You may not have to pull this material as tight as the seams. Once this is done you can trim the hdlnr to approximately 1-1.5" beyond the edge. If you can, put some glue on the outer edge of the retainers and wrap the hdlnr around it.

Now you have install the hdlnr. Install the trim, visors and dome light and you are done. If you have some small wrinkles left in the hdnlr, you can use a blow dryer to lightly heat the hdlnr. This will allow the material to shrink. If you do this be very careful as the material could melt before you know it. Just keep some distance between the gun and the hdlnr and keep it moving.

If you have any questions just ask.

Now that I think about it the Chevelles didn't have the little retainers I talked about. I believe they have a fixed position middle bow. Just make sure you pull the hdlnr towards the sides as you attach it to the hooks. Otherwise you will have wrinkles in it that you won't be able to pull or heat out.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask,
Joe