PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting the mark 8 fan how to wire it?

importkiller69ss
04-27-2006, 12:57 PM
like the title says i want to get one on to see how it performs beofre the hot louisiana summer. have the stock type fan and shroud just wanting to see if it can cool better and maybe pic up some lost power. how do i wire it. i had an electric fan before but i just had it wired to a key source that came on when the key was on but the car wouldnt warm up in the winter. how do i do it differently i can pic up a new one for 60 bucks

engine
04-27-2006, 03:28 PM
the mark 8 fan draws a pretty good amperage load, especially at startup. You'll want to get a heavy duty relay, like a 75 amp for it. If you want it to run all the time, which IMO is too much, you can wire the relay coil to the key'd power source. But I'd suggest a terperature-activated switch to energize the relay (coil) and wire the high-amperage relay contacts to a fused positive...maybe even wire it straight to the battery with a 40 amp inline fuse. Those fans pull about 35 amps at full load.
Or do what MANY of us did and spring for a DC controller.
Make sure your alternator is powerful enough to keep up with the fan's demand.

importkiller69ss
04-27-2006, 03:40 PM
i was reading up on a dc controller but dont really know what they are

ProStreet R/T
04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Why not just get a thermo switch for it? You can buy them at preset temps or get an adjustable one. Wire it in with a good (60-75A) relay and be done with it.

importkiller69ss
04-27-2006, 05:41 PM
well i really dont know what to do....thats why i posted...i am very open to all opinions. i am jsut a poor ole college student and looking for info. i dont want to spend a ton but would like to try a better electric fan and i hear this one is the best for the money and i can get one for 60 bucks new

CAMAROBOY69
04-28-2006, 03:14 AM
The DC control is really the way to go with the Mark VIII fan.

norcalcamaro
04-29-2006, 07:05 PM
The Dc Control unit is really the way to go. I have the taurus fan & it pulls alot of amps as well at startup. Thats one of the things the Dccontrol unit can help with. It ramps up the fan at a lower speed so nnot to overload the alternator. otherwise you would have to upgrade the alternator to use the fan.

The other way is to make your own with relays & a toggle switch. I built one for a 67 mustang I had. It wasn't worth the effort 7 thats why I went with the DCcontrol unit this time around.

engine
04-30-2006, 07:55 PM
It isn't my, or anyof our money you're spending. But the DC controller WILL save you money by you not needing a higher amp alternator. I have a 94 amp unit, and this fan with the controller barely puts a dent in the electrical demand. If you use a temp -activated switch and relay, your headlights might dim and alt v-belt may squeal on startup of the fan due to increased demand on the alternator. Believe it or not, but I had a 64-amp unit and every time I turned on my rear defogger, the alt belt squealed like a stuck pig.

importkiller69ss
05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
yeah after talking to everyone i will go ahead with the dc cont...when i get the fan ..i just got to catch up on some other ends of the car

69Lowbird
05-13-2006, 02:20 AM
Where are you finding these fans new for $60?

gmachinz
05-13-2006, 03:47 AM
The Mark VIII fans aren't $60-but they can't be beat for performance. Engine did some amp draw testing with it and no other fan/controller combo can touch it! We did an install just a week ago on a '69 RS/BB Camaro and you'll need to trim the sides to clear the stock side tanks on it. We can also mount the controllers inside the shroud and basically have it pre-wired for you out the door. -Jabin

Jagarang
05-13-2006, 04:27 AM
YOu've got PM Gmachinz....:help!:

gmachinz
05-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Kevin, you got PM, too. Let me know what you want to do. -Jabin

importkiller69ss
05-13-2006, 10:16 AM
i have relatives that own a junkyard and he has 3 of thse

gmachinz
05-14-2006, 06:08 PM
If you can score these fans at junkyards, they're very much worth it since the yards don't know their true value. You have to score the fans from 1997 or 1998 though-those are the big ones (cfm rating-wise). -Jabin

importkiller69ss
05-14-2006, 06:36 PM
do you have a list of cars that these can be had off of..i would like to get one used to i have enough for the dc cont...rather than 150 on a fan..

gmachinz
05-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Other than the two Mark VIII years I mentioned, there are no other cars except for the police packaged Crown Vics of the same years. -Jabin

importkiller69ss
05-15-2006, 09:04 PM
ok sweet

texasdvldog
08-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Other than the two Mark VIII years I mentioned, there are no other cars except for the police packaged Crown Vics of the same years. -Jabin

Jabin you have a PM :twothumbs