PDA

View Full Version : LS1 valve cover renderings

Matt@RFR
10-15-2004, 10:18 AM
At the request of a few of you, here's what I came up with. Any of you that are interested...take these as suggestions. You can combine features from these, take 'em as they are, or dream up your own. Thanks to Brian (68LSS1) for loaning me his stockers to get dimensions from.

These weigh between 1.5 and 2.5lbs each and use the stock gaskets.

Nine Ball
10-15-2004, 11:42 AM
These will be sheetmetal correct? I have a set from East Side Performance that looks like #3, and the set that is on my '69 are taller versions similar to #4 (by Agostino Racing).

The market on these is for taller ones to clear the aftermarket rocker arms, especially for the solid roller cam guys. I'd focus on the taller ones for that reason.

Tony

Matt@RFR
10-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Yep, sheetmetal.

Thanks for the advice, but everything I make is strictly made to order. I'll make a set a foot tall if someone wants it that way. :)

Wildron
10-15-2004, 07:01 PM
how much for a set of tall ones

MrQuick
10-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Nice Matt, how long before you have a solid model? May have some business for you.

Matt@RFR
10-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Vince, I won't have a solid model until you tell me what you want!

Wildron, I won't have a solid price until you tell me what you want!

Are you guys seeing a trend here?

I do not make ANYTHING until someone makes an order. Every single thing I make is custom, unless YOU want to market and sell one of your own ideas. I will help you design things, but they're yours. I'll build 'em for you, but it's still yours.

Matt@RFR
10-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Hey Vince and Wildron, I'm gonna take another stab at answering your questions since that last post sounded awfully snobby.

If you like any of the renderings, then that's final enough for me, other than any weld bung size and placements, filler caps or breathers, etc. I can send you a drawing for you to fill in any info for that stuff if it's beyond describing in words.

If you like one of the renderings, but want to make some changes or add something, that's cool too. It's really easy to change this stuff and send you your own rendering for you to approve/dissaprove. Almost anything is possible (including your own logo), so go wild...be creative...make my job fun! :geek:

And the million dollar question: How much? The centerbolts above will start at $330/pair. That gets you 3/8" thick, CNC machined flanges that use the stock gaskets, .100" thick 3003 H-14 aluminum body, hand formed and TIG welded on machined fixtures. They also come with stainless socket head cap screws that are sealed with Nylon washers. The perimeter bolt valve covers below will start at $345. That does NOT include any weld bungs, fillers or logos. In general, custom logos per pair are $50 (machined directly into the valve cover OR machined in a seperate plate and then welded on) IF you can provide the artwork. Fillers are $30-$50, depending on your choice, and weld bungs range from $20-$30. All of those prices are installed. Any custom brackets or whatnots I'll have to look at before I can give you a price.

I've been told that there are adapters available to go from the early perimeter bolt style valve cover to the later centerbolt style, but just incase, I drew up a perimeter bolt version for anyone who might want it.

MrQuick
10-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Hey Matt, not really, no more snobbyish,dik-like or kokey than usual...he he jk. not :dunno:
About the VC's I'd like to display a set so my customers can see the work and maybe I can sell a few jobs for you.I'd like to get 1 of each with my logo on it.I'll draw up a few sketches to show you what im looking for.Do you have access to a mill? Havent heard of you talking about one?

Matt@RFR
10-17-2004, 12:17 AM
no more snobbyish,dik-like or kokey than usual
It's all for you baby. All for you. :spank2:

Sounds good to me, thanks!!!! Let me know if I can return the favor...I'll for sure put a link on my website for ya. I can probably help you move to the new shop if you need it.

Yeah, I have a manual mill and lathe, but most of my nice CNC machined stuff (EG: logos) I run through a shop down in the bay area. The guy is GOOD but slow. I'm at his mercy, though, until I can afford to buy my own CNC machines.

LS1NOVA
10-18-2004, 06:16 AM
Is The #4 Any Taller Than Stock? I May Be Interested In A Combination Of #2 And #4. Thanks

Matt@RFR
10-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Yeah, the #4 is taller than stock, but only in the center. I don't know how tall that version needs to be to clear any of the aftermarket rockers yet...can you tell me? I'll have an overall height soon, and since you also like the really tall #2, I'm sure it'll work well. I'll post another rendering of a mix of the two when I get the numbers I need, hopefully on Wednesday.