PDA

View Full Version : we have a top!

68fusion
04-24-2006, 03:11 PM
We finally have a top and working door glass in our Camaro roadster!
When viewing pics ...just picture top covered when making comments please....kinda hard to imagine finished look right now.

ProTouring442
04-25-2006, 02:12 AM
That thing is just too cool! Are you also going to have a folding top?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

68fusion
04-25-2006, 02:42 AM
That thing is just too cool! Are you also going to have a folding top?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

The way the interior sheet metal had to be made didn't allow enough room width wise for a folding top to fit. So the only other choice was a lift off top, carson style is what I think they call it. It's light only a few pounds now. Plan on making it look like C5/C6 corvette convt top...material and back window. It will also be finished inside with some sort of headliner.

ProdigyCustoms
04-25-2006, 04:41 AM
That thing is going to get some attention. Nice fab work. At first glance, in the first pic, it has a lot Corvair look.

colt zantop
04-25-2006, 09:54 AM
lookin good. keep us updated!

68fusion
04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
That thing is going to get some attention. Nice fab work. At first glance, in the first pic, it has a lot Corvair look.

Thanks Frank

Hmm...corvair...that can be good and bad.. Think it will look total different when covered. Don't plan on this thing being on the car much, just was told without top and door "glass" the car would take a hit $$. Then again who wants a car with a roof anyway....

twoduners11
04-26-2006, 09:33 PM
ya know.... as long as the corvair was brought up do you suppose there is enough room in there for the engine and a transaxle?

ProStreet R/T
04-26-2006, 09:45 PM
That is gonna be so damn cool :bananna2:

Just a thought, but maybe put a small bubble behind each seat similar to the ferrari spyders?
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

It needs something, maybe a sharper body line on top, not sure, but it's not looking as much like a camaro as I thought it would.

LOL, and I thought I was the only one pondering about a mid engine roadster camaro. I personally think a screamin SB and a G50 transaxle could make that a fun little car.

68fusion
04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
bubbles? like this?

ProStreet R/T
04-27-2006, 03:02 PM
bubbles? like this?
Not bad, I might make them a little more pronounced but it's look awesome as is.
http://www.advancedleatherworkshop.com/FerrariPics/360Spyder/360spyder.gif

Something like that, maybe with or w/o the roll hoops. If you do hoops i'd try to keep the bubbles alligned with them, the ferrari offset is kinda odd.

Bonus points if you can make a folding top that tucks away like this...
Here (http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Lamborghini-Gallardo-Spyder-Y-Top-Mechanism-1600x1200.jpg)

I'm curious. Have you added any structural braces where the rear seat area used to be? The drop top 1st gens are a little flexy, i'd hate to see it bend up that top, or just plain pop it off going in a steep driveway. Or just ship it to socal and drive it w/o the top year round. I promise to keep it fed with 91 and a healthy coat of pinnacle wax at all times. :fingersx:

68fusion
04-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Not bad, I might make them a little more pronounced but it's look awesome as is.
http://www.advancedleatherworkshop.com/FerrariPics/360Spyder/360spyder.gif

Bonus points if you can make a folding top that tucks away like this...
Here (http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Lamborghini-Gallardo-Spyder-Y-Top-Mechanism-1600x1200.jpg)

Something like that, maybe with or w/o the roll hoops. If you do hoops i'd try to keep the bubbles alligned with them, the ferrari offset is kinda odd.

I'm curious. Have you added any structural braces where the rear seat area used to be? The drop top 1st gens are a little flexy, i'd hate to see it bend up that top, or just plain pop it off going in a steep driveway. Or just ship it to socal and drive it w/o the top year round. I promise to keep it fed with 91 and a healthy coat of pinnacle wax at all times. :fingersx:

Well when you modify one of these 1stgens ...it gets a little tricky. You start with such a popular and atractive design, you hate to deviate much from original. So without going too overboard we came up with what we have now.

The cover folds so the bars would have to be just behind the seats... no room the way it is made...we used c5 design so the seat is against( really close to) the cover when closed. Moving things around with these parts gets away rfom how we wanted it to look. One example is the waterfall is right between the seats, just like the vette. So if you go farther back then you have a TON of fab work to do to pull it off.

The retracting top is an idea we might use on the next one..ie ssr or lexus. The top is a little more in depth than one might think. Most frames(the easy way) are pot metal or cast so any newer style top retofit is almost a nogo.Then you get into glass fit and trim and a bigg ol can of worms. We even played around with the idea of leaning the w/s back about 10deg but priced some door glass and that quickly went away. The idea was to get the greenhouse of a vette on a 1stgen...but proved to be too costly.

Yes there is extra bracing in there...mostly because of the c4 rear and the bars to run it. Sub frame connectors and a fab'd X brace help too... But no bars visible in the interior.