PDA

View Full Version : HEI vs. Points

TheRoaringEagle
10-14-2004, 01:19 PM
I believe I have stock points ignition. How can I tell? What components are there to setup an HEI ignition? Is it simply a matter of swapping out distributors?

I've seen a lot of ignition boxes too. What's the benefit? Are they a part of the HEI setup?

Any information regarding HEI vs. Points is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

MrQuick
10-14-2004, 06:20 PM
the point distributer will have a small cap and 1 wire going to it. An HEI uses a large cap with a built in coil and has more than 1 wire to it.
I seen guys use a points distributer to trigger an MSD or Mallory control box.The 2 problems with points are they wear out and ignition voltage is low.
HEI uses a magnetic pick up and control module to trigger spark at the coil, voltage is alot higher than a points set up. 43k oppposed to 20-30k at the coil.
When ever you increase HP you raise the requirements of the ignition system to provide adequate spark to efficiently ignite the air fuel ratio, ie increase compression and mixture ratios.

derekf
10-15-2004, 03:47 AM
Swapping an HEI out in place of the points setup is pretty straightforward with one exception:

Power to the points runs through a resistance wire as 12v is too much power and would cause accellerated points wear. You'd need to remove the resistance wire and replace with normal wire.

TheRoaringEagle
10-15-2004, 10:49 AM
So swapping over to an HEI setup s just a matter of swapping distributors and changing up the wiring? And a coil isn't needed?

Steve Chryssos
10-15-2004, 01:27 PM
the point distributer will have a small cap and 1 wire going to it. An HEI uses a large cap with a built in coil and has more than 1 wire to it.
I seen guys use a points distributer to trigger an MSD or Mallory control box.The 2 problems with points are they wear out and ignition voltage is low.
HEI uses a magnetic pick up and control module to trigger spark at the coil, voltage is alot higher than a points set up. 43k oppposed to 20-30k at the coil.
When ever you increase HP you raise the requirements of the ignition system to provide adequate spark to efficiently ignite the air fuel ratio, ie increase compression and mixture ratios.

Wow Vince! You just provided a serious, technical response without any silliness whatsoever. Are you okay? Try not to let this happen again.

907rs
10-15-2004, 05:10 PM
But, if you're going to install it in a 1st gen camaro it probably wont fit due to firewall clearance......

MrQuick
10-15-2004, 07:37 PM
holy crepes Steve your right! what the hell happened??? Oh I had my "smart ass" lock button off....ooops my bad he he
Regal begal the HEI cap has a built in coil...just 2 wires:
1- 14gu to replace resister wire from bulk head (+) at cap
1- tach lead to tachometer (-) at cap
Make sure you use new wires and becarefull pulling your trans dip stick.
Hes right,your gonna have to give the firewall a couple love taps with the good ole #3 BFH for clearence

chevymike
10-18-2004, 11:25 AM
As far as fitting in a 1st Gen, I did not have to mod my firewall at all. Biggest thing to note though, is I am using solid subframe bushings and new poly engine/tranny mounts. I have about a 1/4" clearance. With old bushings and mounts, most likely you'll have to clearance your firewall. It's a 50/50 thing. Good luck.

rocketrod
11-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Good info, any particular HEI distributors anyone would recommend? I am looking at upgrading from points to HEI this winter.

Rod

shanekennedy
12-08-2004, 04:15 AM
can hei distributors be made to work with old style tachometers?

derekf
12-08-2004, 06:43 AM
can hei distributors be made to work with old style tachometers?

Did you mean just normal old style tachs, or gear-drive tachs like in older Vettes? Normal tachs should work, well, normally.. but I'm not sure whether or not there's gear drive tach HEIs available.

Bamakx
12-08-2004, 07:32 AM
I used the DUI HEI system. They will curve the distributor to your specification. Here’s the link www.performancedistributors.com/

shanekennedy
12-08-2004, 07:46 AM
i've been looking @ OER tachs for 1st gen camaros. most of them say "not compatible w/ hei distributor". i donno if they're gear driven or not.

Fuelie Fan
12-08-2004, 02:38 PM
An option if you can't fit an HEI distributor is to convert your points distributor to electronic using a kit such as from Pertronix or the Crane XR-i. I have the crane in my car, I had to pull the distributor to get it in correctly, but it it didn't take too long, instructions were pretty good, and it fired right up with no problems and my old-as-hell autometer tach works like a champ with it. I think you can do the pertronix without even pulling the distributor, but I'm not positive.

Bill Howell
12-08-2004, 03:29 PM
I have a msd in my 69 bb. no clearance issues.I put the box in the area under w/s wipers. Stock tach works fine with it also.

dhardison
12-08-2004, 04:39 PM
My recommendation would be a Pertronix Ignitor or Ignitor II points -> electronic conversion kit. This way you can keep your existing distributor and still gain the advantages of electronic ignition. Plus you don't even have to pull the distributor to install the kit. Accel also makes a points -> electronic conversion module but I've heard more than one person say they've burned out on them.

I have the original Pertronix Ignitor with my LS7 454 and it's worked flawlessly since late '99. I also installed the Pertronix 'stock look' wires, Flame Thrower coil and their digital rev limiter as later add-ons. I was AMAZED at how easy the car started and the improved throttle response over the stock points. Plus no adjusting/replacing points all the time.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2273&prmenbr=361

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4414&prmenbr=361

Dan

Fuelie Fan
12-08-2004, 05:22 PM
not to move away from the hei/points issue, but I have the pertronix stock look plug wires and I'm not very impressed, they light up the night (in a bad way)! I'll be getting rid of them down the road. I've heard good things about the points eliminator kits though.