PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal removal

philbay
04-22-2006, 03:24 AM
Hi all. 70 chevelle. I have to remove the clutch pedal which shares a common shaft with the brake pedal. I need to remove it due to a broken L bracket which was welded to the pedal so that it connected to the shaft through the firewall. All that I have researched says that you remove the retaining clip from the right hand side of the pivot shaft. The problem is I cant see much less remove the clip.and the manual mentions nothing about dropping the steering coluum,which I never did either. Anyone know what Im talking about.. Please help me out, Im not a mechanic,but I will try to work things out myself.. anyway.. thank you .. Desparately seeking info or help>>

dhardison
04-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Here's a diagram that may help. You don't have to drop the steering column.

Madspeed
04-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Yup thats what you need to see. and the clp is 6 on the diagram.

take a large reg screwdriver and wedge it in between the clip and lightly twist it to get it over the edge of the shaft and then slide it off.

Then you can pul the clutch peddal out of the brakett and brake peddal.

Gl Ken F

philbay
04-23-2006, 12:47 AM
I now, thank you ,understand what needs to be done but explain to me how when I can only feel it,and not see it,am I suppose to get a flat scewdriver up there,wedge it then slide off the clip..............much less put it back.. I must be missing somethging.. Im doing this lying under the dash,with nothing removed right?

John McIntire
04-23-2006, 08:26 AM
you should be able to see it, I had my front seat out, which allowed me more room to get under there. All you have to do is gently pry the front of the clip out past the shaft, and push it up, and the thing will come right off. Very easy, you should be able to do it with just your finger nail!

Madspeed
05-01-2006, 05:54 PM
I know you must have figured this out allready but.

Guys Here is a Bitchen trick for under dash work.

Make yourself a bench to lay on with a flat creeper or a piece of plywood, lay the creeper or plywood on the doorsill and hang it far enough into the door to rest your head on, prop this board up outside with a milk crate or whatever you can find.

Then go ahead and lay down under your dash combfortably. =)

they allso sell this premade tool on tooltrucks it actually has a flip out hight adjustable leg to put on the ground, and a small pillow built in.

Hope this helps

GL.Ken F