PDA

View Full Version : What order to do this in?

nkopper
10-14-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm finally starting on the mini tub project of my '69 Camaro and have a question about replacing the outer wheel wells at the same time. The quarters need replacing, but that will have to wait for a while. Should I replace the outer wheel wells when I do the minitub, or tack the widened inner wheel wells to the factory, rusty outers and replace them when I do the quarters?

Nathan

907rs
10-14-2004, 01:15 PM
I replaced my outers at the time I did the mini-tub. The reason being that the outers are supposed to install before the inners. If you don't do this while replacing the inners, you will have to remove the inners to install the outers. Did you understand that? lol

907rs
10-14-2004, 01:30 PM
I missunderstood your first post about just tacking the inners. Anyway its probably a good idea to do both at the same time as I found that it helps to have both tubs free for adjustment. Plus if you are getting the outers from Goodmark or probably any other aftermarket supplier, they are going to be stamped in Taiwan or China and they probably won't be an exact replica. Mine took a little tweaking.

Just my two cents.....

baz67
10-14-2004, 02:34 PM
I would do it that way as well. That way you can get all of the minitub fab work out of the way. You do not want to cut through all of those damn spot welds on the mounting flange for the inners, outers and trunk again. If you do not know what I mean, you will. The only thing on the outer not to do is weld it to the 1/4, but that would be obvious. It will also give you some reference where the old panels were when you replace them as long a you get a good fit with the new inners.
Brian

907rs
10-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Brian, did you ever get yours to fit right?

nkopper
10-15-2004, 05:17 AM
I was kind of thinking that doing the outers at the time of the mini tub was the way to go. I just wasn't sure how hard it would be to line everything up without welding them to the quarter. After scraping the undercoating off last night, it looks like the outer housings attach to several areas other than the quarter panel, so they should be solid enough until I can get the quarters done.

Any brands of wheel housings to avoid? I live about an hour from the Paddock, but have not had any experience with them. I could probably pick up Goodmark parts at one of the winter swap meets in Indianapolis. Any brand fit better than another or are they pretty much all the same?

Thanks!

Nathan

baz67
10-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Yes Bill I did. I had to pie cut in an area on the DSE inner.
Brian