PDA

View Full Version : Corvette v.s. Pro-touring F-body

68 firehawk
10-13-2004, 08:21 PM
I’m currently building a 68 Firebird. As of now it has an 02 LS1 and T56 waiting and It’s undergoing all the other major tech upgrades a person can think of, mini tub, new front sub frame, connecters, roll cage, bear brakes, rack and pinion steering, ect. My question to you guys is to think about the title of this thread. I had the opportunity to drive my Grandfathers recent acquired 88 Vette last weekend and afterwards I was shocked and a little worried. Now this thing isn’t an automatic like most Vetts you see. I was told it’s one of 200, some sort of anniversary edition with a 4 speed manual transmission and all the other bells and whistles you can think of. Anyway, after about a minute behind the wheel of this thing I felt like I had complete control of the car. I had it sideways through 3rd gear and all I had to do to gain traction was feather the throttle. Now I’ve had my go at BMW Z3’s, Z4’s, M5’s and even Vipers but this Vette was way more manageable then anything I had driven before. It seemed like it had a perfect even balance of traction, stability, power and breaking. To make a long story short and almost giving my grandpa a heart attack. Can anyone with finished pro touring F-bodies calm my worries and tell me if I can expect the same if not better performance out of my Pro-touring Firebird when it’s done? I would hate to think he’s only in that Vette for 9g’s and I’ll be in my firebird for over 15g’s in just parts and not to expect the same amount of performance if not better would be a drag.

USAZR1
10-13-2004, 08:34 PM
When done,your Firebird will most likely blow the doors off Ol'Granddad's 88 Corvette in just about every way. That car has a 230hp TPI 350 with Nash 4+3 tranny. I owned a nice 85 Vette with the same drivetrain and it wasn't that impressive. If you think that car is impressive,you would sh*t yourself if you ever drove a ZR-1 or Z06 Vette.

dennis68
10-13-2004, 08:46 PM
You've driven a Viper and were impressed by a late 80's vette. I can whoop a 4+3 in reverse. You obviously didn't take that Viper past the end of the driveway, I have driven about everything built for under 100K and the Viper is the easiest car to get comfortable at speed with, well the 850 BMW is pretty easy to drive too.

BTW, I hope Grandad didn't pay a heap for that "rare" 4 speed option, the 4+3 is a pretty common box among those years.

MickyT
10-13-2004, 08:49 PM
The C4 Vette has a very good suspension system. Thats why folks rob it for pro touring, rods etc. I agree the powertrain is weak however I have driven many Vettes including a modded 87 I have had for several years and when it comes to handling I remain impressed.

68 firehawk
10-14-2004, 07:30 AM
I'll have to disagree with you on the viper Denny. It had a horrible weight to power ratio. The ass end wanted to kit itself in front of the car every time I stepped on it and the handling didn't seem better then that late 80's Vette. That’s probably why a lot of Pro-Touring guys like to use the C-6 or C-4 rear in their ride. One problem with the Viper I drove is probably due to that big v-10 up front. It creates too much of a weight balance issue so they stuck huge ass tires out back to get some traction. The only problem with that is once you get the tires spinning and they gain traction the car shoots you in whatever direction your aimed at. Keep in mind the Viper has way more get up and go and I know it would beat a stock Vette in a race. I’m just saying it felt like I could do way more with that 80’s Vette then I could do in that Viper. It was easier to keep the Vette right on the edge of control. The Viper was also a-lot of fun to drive but I felt out of control most of the time when I pushed her to the limits. I was also driving a 99 Viper they may have fixed some of the balance issues in the newer cars. Has anyone had experience in a fully modified F-body? Can you do a comparison between that and a late 80’s Vette?

dennis68
10-14-2004, 08:53 AM
To each his own I guess, I love them. They actually haven't made many changes from the original until recently. Maybe it's a getting used to thing, they spank the snot out of the vettes at Infinieon.

Steve Chryssos
10-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Hawk,
The biggest difference you will feel between the two cars is the driving position. C-4 vettes have a laid back "La-Z-boy" driving position which--at least in my experience--can make you feel disconnected from the handling. You may feel more "on top" and in control of your bird's chassis.
The other big deal is your roll cage. My car exhibits virtually no chassis flex. As a result, my car seems to transition into turns with absolute confidence. The suspension does all the work.

As for whether or not your car will outhandle a C4? You'll find out when it's done. It ain't about the parts. It's the sum total.