PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Fabbed up a Block Off set for the Heater Box assembly?

Tim_in_NC
04-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Looking to see if anyone has fabbed up a set of Heater Box Block off plates for a '68 Camaro...

I just don't see paying $175 for 2 plates...

Maybe someone has started making these on the side ...

Any leads would be appreciated...

Thanks,
TIM

CAMAROBOY69
04-19-2006, 05:28 AM
I just had my heater core out last week. If I had known there might be a demand for these I would have made some to sell. Like you said, there has to be someone out there selling them. It would probably be a flat plate with 8 holes. Bend the existing lip on the firewall down and bolt the custom made plate(s) onto the front.
Where are these plates that are being sold for $175.00 That price actually doesnt sound too bad depending on how they designt the plates.
If there is a high enough demand mabey I could look into it.

CAMAROBOY69
04-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Looks like DSE sells a plate for only $65.00 for the passenger side. http://www.detroitspeed.com/FirewallFill10.html

Tim_in_NC
04-19-2006, 06:01 AM
Here are the plates I'm referring to ...

$150 @ Ricks is the best price I've found...

http://www.rickscamaros.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/cgi-local/smpagegen.exe?U+scstore+kgrd8881ff645964+-p+-c+scstore.cfg+HD-36

CAMAROBOY69
04-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Did you see the DSE piece I posted right above that for only $65.00? Its one piece and covers the same thing the 2 Rick plates cover.

Tim_in_NC
04-19-2006, 06:05 AM
My Firewall is already painted ... I don't want to weld, fill, & repaint...

Looking for some basic bolt on block plates... Even out of some Flat, medium gauged metal... I can then paint to match prior to bolting on...

You want to add these to you fabrication lineup... If so, I'd be your first customer... :)

CAMAROBOY69
04-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Oh I see your looking for a "bolt in" piece. No I wont be making these. The DSE piece is a great deal for a weld in piece. I was just going to do it if no one else was making them. But after I found the DSE piece there is no sense in reinventing the wheel.
Since you are looking for bolt in pieces I would say that the Rick pieces are the way to go. Or look on e-bay and see if you can find some. Someone else might be able to do further research and get you a better price too.
You could also check classic industries or NPD.

harshman
04-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Go to your local weld shop or HVAC builder. Take a piece of cardboard and trim to fit and mark where you want the bend. The material to be used should be no more than $5 of scrap. Aluminum would be better to work with as it is softer to trim and will not rust. Prior to painting, pre-drill the rivet holes making sure you have enough room to seal the border with caulk.

At least thats how im going to do it.

esc1
04-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Mine is sheetmetal screws, caulk and aluminum I had laying around. It is VERY easy to do. Save yourself about $170 to use for something else.

Tim_in_NC
04-19-2006, 09:09 AM
I had in mind, mounting my MSD 6-BTM Box, Blaster Coil, etc... on this block off area ... so it needs to be somewhat sturdy ...

I could probably pick up the DSE piece, pre-drill my holes and just bolt it up/paint/calk... Should work well enough...

But might look too tacky...

Davezz28
04-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Just go down to your local hardware store or metal supply and buy a piece of 16ga sheet metal. Trace your heater box onto the sheetmetal with a sharpe. Take your jig saw and cut out the plate, drill the holes where the studs are, and bolt it up. Do the same for the fan hole.

No welding involved, just finish the edges and paint to match.

Dave