PDA

View Full Version : Menace update

DLinson
10-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Well, I haven't had too much time with the Nova lately. With the kids in school they always seem to have something going on.

If you remember a little while back I had an issue with the hood not matching the grill. After some extensive reconstructive surgery the is a new reshaped nose on the Nova. I also had a chance to put on some more polyester primer and now the entire car has been block sanded twice, inside and out. I was also able to paint some more of the engine bay parts like the core support, headlight buckets, and fender supports.

I also spent about 5 hours so far making some filler panels to go between the grill and core support on either side of the hood latch.

I also added a picture of the fornt of the car. I have the entire front clip in primer and now you can get an idea of how the front spoiler will look. Opinions? I kind of like it smooth but now would be the time to add driving lights or cooling ducts in the spoiler before I paint it. The rest of the car has been completely smoothed, no door handles, no locks, flush mounted windows, removed the drip rails. So keeping with that theme, the smooth spoiler works.

Well here are some more pics.

Dennis

F70t/a
10-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Car looks great dennis!!! Did you have to use a thicker gasket for the windows to bring them up higher to the body? Or are they gonna sit a bit lower?

DLinson
10-14-2004, 10:03 AM
When flush mounting the windows, I raised the lip that the window sits on as well as lengthening it to decrease the window opening. I then added a filler piece to the body as it wraps into the window opening to get the correct gap between the edge of the glass and the body, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch. I believe I had to raise the lip about 3/8 inch or so.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

You can get an idea from this picture of the rear window. It's not the greatest and not the best shot of my fabrication, (Troy probably wouldn't accept it), but I was kind of making it up and designing it as I went. I couldn't find info on how to do it so I just started designing something that I thought would work. The finished product (in primer) looks better.

Dennis

F70t/a
10-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Damn dude. That is a neat thrick. I think i will try that too when i flush mount mine :git:

ryans67deuce
10-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Dennis,

Are your fenders, bumper, and spoiler all one piece?? Did you fab these yourself from a full fiberglass clip or weld them together?? Your spoiler - did you make it yourself or is it available somewhere??

Thanks,

Ryan

DLinson
10-14-2004, 05:05 PM
soiler build page (http://www.et-motorsports.cc/project_cars/nova_62_menace/Construction/Body_work/spoiler/spoiler.htm)

Go to the above link. It is the build page on my web page for the front spoiler. Click on the tech document on that page and you should be able to print it out. It is a description step by step of how I built the frontspoiler.

I narrowed the front bumper by about 2 inches or so on each side to tuck the bumpers into the fenders. The bumper is welded to the fenders and filler panel between the bumper and the grill. I then created the spoiler out of sheet metal and tubing. The spoiler is welded to the bumper and the fenders. I also finished off the back side of the spoiler as it is visible on the inside.

There should also be a tech document I wrote on how I rolled the front fender lips and how I enlarged the opening to make room for the larger tires at about 2 inches of upward travel at full lock.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I don't mind answering.

Thanks for the compliments and interest.

Dennis Linson

ryans67deuce
10-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Dennis, when I clicked on the link, it asks for a user name and password...??? :dunno: Thanks for your help with all my questions lately...

ryans67deuce
10-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Nevermind, I hit cancel and it still worked...

F70t/a
10-15-2004, 09:56 AM
what type of sealer do you plan to use for the flush mounted windows?

DLinson
10-15-2004, 12:39 PM
I plan to use urethane sealant and glue them in like a late model car. I'll also use a small black rubber trim, like that on an S-10 windshield. This will cover the small gap between the glass and body.

Dennis

B Schein
10-15-2004, 01:02 PM
I flush mounted my windows I had to make the window opining a 1/4 inch smaller on the top and both sides. I got some Rubber window edge molding form my local glass shop It looks good to me but will look a lot better when the inside of the glass is blackened a 1-1/2 around the perimeter. I will also use urethane to put my windows in I didn’t raise the opening up like Dennis did. It shouldn’t mater though you can put the urethane down as thick or thin as you want.

F70t/a
10-15-2004, 03:47 PM
How much does it cost to get it blackened? I want my windows to look like this car. Thanks to both of you for tips on the flush mounted windows.Gives me a better idea on what to do.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif