PDA

View Full Version : Ordering radiator, need specific information

JJSmitches
04-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Looking at 31x19 2 row aluminum radiator from Summit and a similar universal radiator from Jegs.

I heard Summit radiators are made by Northern but I was unable to find any specs on their website.

Summit offers no real information on cooling capacity. SO, if anyone has information on what these radiators can cool let me know. Also, if you have other suggestions please share them.

Budget south $250.

SB 350, 350 HP, yea its a screamer (sarcasm).

JJSmitches
04-17-2006, 03:37 PM
More info...

350HP SBC, external trans cooler with fan, will be using Mark VIII fan or possibly Windstar dual fan, DC Control unit.

If anyone has good information or can throw a package together for me PM ME!

65chevelleboys
04-17-2006, 07:30 PM
hi , i ordered the summit radiator for my chevelle did not like it .sloppy welds

ilovefirstgens
04-17-2006, 07:53 PM
what kind of car is it going in, i got an afco universal 31x19 for my 68 camaro and because of how the core support mounts to the subframe it didnt fit by about 1/4" had to go down to a 26x19 and fits perfect!

JJSmitches
04-17-2006, 08:44 PM
1972 Chevelle.

JJSmitches
04-17-2006, 09:45 PM
65chevelleboys,

When you say sloppy welds, was it simply aesthetic or did it affect the performance of the radiator? If it works fine then I think I can live with the sloppy welds.

Richz68
04-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Looking at 31x19 2 row aluminum radiator from Summit and a similar universal radiator from Jegs.

I heard Summit radiators are made by Northern but I was unable to find any specs on their website.

Summit offers no real information on cooling capacity. SO, if anyone has information on what these radiators can cool let me know. Also, if you have other suggestions please share them.

Budget south $250.

SB 350, 350 HP, yea its a screamer (sarcasm).

That radiator is purchased by Summit from Northern and made in China. China is the world leader in Aluminum core manufacturing which is unfortunate because more and more radiators are being built there. The welds are ugly but function at sealing water. It really "boils" down to what you budget & needs are.

If you want a radiator that will hold water and do a decent job at cooling a realtively mild engine it will work.

One thing I must say about these radiators is that they use a 12 fin/inch "RACING" core. This core is really at home at high speed use where the air flow is at a maximum.

If you plan on every being in a parade or a traffic jam or even cruising a show with your A/C on you might want to look elsewhere for a replacement radiator.