PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel quick release

Damn True
04-17-2006, 10:35 AM
My '68 Camaro will have a cage with door bars (not full-on NASCAR style, but fairly substantial - sorta like Steveo's). So getting in/out will be challenging. [insert fat joke :hah: here]

I'm looking to keep additional length on the column to a minimum but between a sparco (or similar) wheel adapter and a QR I'm afraid the wheel will be excessively close.
I plan to use the GM column or an ididit replacement column but I'm not married to that.

Can someone suggest a combination of parts (the depth of product knowledge here is astounding) that will keep the stack height and in turn overall column length to a minimum.

Much thanks,
True

Jim Nilsen
04-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi True, How ya doin? I solved the problem 2 ways. I put on the GRANT steering wheel system that allows you to have a removable steering wheel and still be DOT approved. It is sold as an antitheft device but works as well for what you are thinking. After a bit of getting used to you might not even bother with removing it but you will then have the benefit of of NO WHEEL NO STEAL strategy.

You can find what I am talking about at their website.

Jim Nilsen

Damn True
04-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Interesting option.

Downside: I wouldn't be able to run the Sparco wheel that I have my eye on.

parsonsj
04-19-2006, 03:31 PM
True,

Check out http://www.tekniqauto.com/US/steeringquickrelease.htm. They have a version for Sparco/Momo wheels.

jp

Damn True
04-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Linky no workee

Is this it?
http://www.tekniqauto.com

lol, got it

parsonsj
04-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Sorry ... I think I got it now.

jp

Damn True
04-19-2006, 03:41 PM
That is interesting. I'll have to call them to see if they have a version that fits an early GM column.

parsonsj
04-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Me too. I'm using an ididit column, which I think is the same thing. I need to do that ... I'll post my findings here.

jp

Damn True
04-19-2006, 09:52 PM
My thread so I don't feel bad hi-jacking it.

Did you see the rope Bonds hit last night?
A bum knee, 12 bone chips in his elbow, he's opening his hips early in his swing and his balance is all jacked up right now, but he ripped a 208' 2-bagger off the center field wall in AZ that never got more than about 12' off the ground. He basicly one handed the thing.
The guy can freakin hit.

But yeah, I'll try to call them or one of their distributors tomorow. Whomever of the two of us gets to it first, post results here.

parsonsj
04-20-2006, 05:47 AM
No, I missed his hit. I'm all excited about the Reds coming back from 5 down against Dontrelle Willis and the Teenagers.

No doubt the dude can hit. Frank Robinson used to terrorize pitchers the same way by standing on the plate and daring pitchers to come inside. Bonds was (and is) a lock to make the HOF ... it's too bad he's messed up his legacy with his steroid antics.

I haven't seen him play (I made it to AT&T Park for the A's/Giants exhibition game, but Bonds was out with the elbow thing). How does he look in the field and on the bases with those injuries?

jp

RaceMan
04-20-2006, 06:01 AM
Just make sure if you go with the removable wheel it has a GOOD saftey lock , I've seen wheels come off and IT AINT PREETY .

Damn True
04-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Raceman, thanks for the tip. Duly noted.

Make no mistake, Bond's is not in contention for a Gold-Glove. But, like Ozzie Smith was at short in his later years or even Walter Payton in his later years, the instinct for the game and the experience are still very much there. His first jump on the ball is as good, if not better than anyone in the game. Regardless of age. His weakness now is in top speed, and being able to stop to make a throw. The knee is still not right.

My first baseball game was in 1977 at Candlestick. Just a few years before McCovey retired (1980 I think). My buddy's dad explained to us how guys like McCovery, Mays and Robinson were just able to see the ball better than most, and how their short compact swings allowed them an extra split second to watch the track of the ball. They, like Bonds didn't approach an at-bat the way a normal "slugger" does. They hit like lead-off guys, but the quality and power of their swings allow them to be as effective as a contact hitter, but do so with more power.

parsonsj
04-20-2006, 08:23 AM
My first game at Candlestick was in 1972. The Giants beat the Padres 14-12, with McCovey going deep.

I think a young player by the name of Winfield was playing for San Diego.

My first game overall was at Crosley Field in Cincinnati (with the hill in left field patrolled by Pete Rose) in 1969. I'll never forget how green the grass was when I first saw it.

jp

Damn True
04-20-2006, 08:42 AM
My first game at Candlestick was in 1972. The Giants beat the Padres 14-12, with McCovey going deep.

I think a young player by the name of Winfield was playing for San Diego.

My first game overall was at Crosley Field in Cincinnati (with the hill in left field patrolled by Pete Rose) in 1969. I'll never forget how green the grass was when I first saw it.

jp

The 77 game was my first regular season game. I got to go to the All-Star game at the Stick in 1984, dig the lineup:
http://baseball-almanac.com/asgbox/yr1984as.shtml

When I was stationed in NYC I was able to go to the Yankees home openers each of the three years I was there. Steinbrenner gave opening day tickets to the military stationed in NY back then. Don't know if he still does.

I gotta make it out to Camden Yard one of these days. Kathy has family in Cleveland so I'll probably hit the Jake and Tiger stadium (short drive to Detriot) this summer.

parsonsj
04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Ah ... 1984: Dwight Gooden was 19 years old, and a can't miss no. 1 pitcher for the next 15 years. He was being compared to Feller, Gibson, and Seaver.

Then he found cocaine.

What a shame.

jp

parsonsj
04-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Oh, back on topic:

I ordered up my kit. Hub and quick release for Sparco wheel. All in black, and it will ship tomorrow. Cost was $250 or so with shipping. I want to get it installed before deciding which steering wheel to use ... I will probably need some dish to it.

jp

Damn True
04-20-2006, 10:31 AM
So the answer is, yes it will work with a GM column. So you think the stack height will be less, or more than the OE setup?

Ya know, I wrote to ididit the other day asking about a weight delta between their alumninum and steel columns. The guy told me there was virtually no difference in weight. Maybe he was full of prunes, but if not, what the heck would you pay the premium for the aluminum for?

parsonsj
04-20-2006, 01:32 PM
I'd guess they sell aluminum columns that get polished. I painted my steel ididit column body color.

Yes, it will work with a GM column, and the total height is about 4.5 inches. He's sending me a couple of spline covers to see which works better.

jp

Damn True
04-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Cool, I'm more than happy to let you do the R&D for me.

I can't see any reason to not go purchase a used or repop GM manual trans column.

v7guy
04-24-2006, 05:54 AM
So what qualifies as a good steering lock?

Damn True
04-24-2006, 06:59 AM
What do you mean by "steering lock"?

If you are talking about The Club, forget it. You use a bolt cutter to slice the wheel and its off.

v7guy
04-24-2006, 08:54 AM
earlier in the thread it was mentioned that with the quick release steering wheels there needed to be a a good lock to keep the steering wheel from disengaging while driving. I was wanting to know what a good lock to keep from acciedentally knocking the steering wheel off while driving would be, I'm guessing something like was shown in the site was adequate, but I'm not sure.

Steve1968LS2
04-24-2006, 09:10 AM
On my car the column is splined and there is a collar you pull towards you to release the wheel (makes getting in and out of the car WAY easier).. I think my column is a racecar part. The reciept says "NASCAR collapsable column" :shrug:

It you don't pull the collar there is NO WAY the wheel is coming off the column..

Steve1968LS2
04-24-2006, 09:14 AM
You can see my release column in this pic:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Down side is that my turn signals, horn, etc are ran off dash switches.. and no tilt of course.

Damn True
04-24-2006, 09:14 AM
The locking mechanism should be an integral part of the QR.

Ever seen an Indy Car drivers wheel just "fall off" during a race?

Me neither.

RaceMan
04-24-2006, 04:44 PM
I've seen some with pins and i think there the ones to watch out for , jump in and forget to pin it , or it wears out and FALLS OUT !! . The locking collers are good . Just my opinion

v7guy
04-26-2006, 04:27 AM
So basically what I'm hearing is that the little lock they show on the website is more than enough to keep the steering wheel where it is it?

Wildthing
05-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Well the Tekniq Quick Disconnect came in today. It's a sturdy little unit. Looks to be well made and (thankfully) not too 'bling!'. I have built everything up but not attached it to the car yet (that's tonight). The hub is a collapsible hub, I'm glad I spent the money on the hub, it will be safer.

2 observations:
1) There is a 1/2" thick Al spacer that adapts from the quickconnect portion to the steering wheel. This means I will be carrying a little more when I disconnect the steering wheel and carry it with me. Also means the steering wheel will move a 1/2" further out than the one that I have now plus the 4" (or so) for the quick connect.

2) I actually like the 'lock' feature. I was unsure about this as it seems a little unnecessary. BUT, since the steering wheel 'locks' on with a key, if I decide not to disconnect the wheel no one else can come along and just take the wheel (to either get a really nice steering wheel or come back later and steal the car).

They actually included the wrong size screws for attaching the adapter to the removable piece of the disconnect. Had to go to Home Depot to get some 6M 16mm...then grind them down about 2 thread lengths (16mm too long, 10mm too short, nothing in between).

Will install tonight. If anyone watching is interested in pictures let me know. So far I would highly recommend these (though they are pricey)...
:drive1: :drive2:

Damn True
05-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Well the Tekniq Quick Disconnect came in today. It's a sturdy little unit. Looks to be well made and (thankfully) not too 'bling!'. I have built everything up but not attached it to the car yet (that's tonight). The hub is a collapsible hub, I'm glad I spent the money on the hub, it will be safer.

2 observations:
1) There is a 1/2" thick Al spacer that adapts from the quickconnect portion to the steering wheel. This means I will be carrying a little more when I disconnect the steering wheel and carry it with me. Also means the steering wheel will move a 1/2" further out than the one that I have now plus the 4" (or so) for the quick connect.

2) I actually like the 'lock' feature. I was unsure about this as it seems a little unnecessary. BUT, since the steering wheel 'locks' on with a key, if I decide not to disconnect the wheel no one else can come along and just take the wheel (to either get a really nice steering wheel or come back later and steal the car).

They actually included the wrong size screws for attaching the adapter to the removable piece of the disconnect. Had to go to Home Depot to get some 6M 16mm...then grind them down about 2 thread lengths (16mm too long, 10mm too short, nothing in between).

Will install tonight. If anyone watching is interested in pictures let me know. So far I would highly recommend these (though they are pricey)...
:drive1: :drive2:

So do you have to turn the key to disengage the lock going on and off the column? What I'm asking is, could you leave the key in the unlock function and have it work as a normal QR, or is the key required for all on/off movements?

Wildthing
05-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Key is required for all on and off movements. The key can only be removed while in the 'locked' position. The wheel will neither come off nor go on while in the 'locked' position. The key will stay in the 'unlocked' position but cannot be removed in that state.

Actually, as far as a anit-theft deterrent it makes sense...as far as a safety device...not so helpful. Got it installed...the 4.5" does make a little difference. Being 6'3" with the seats set back it doesn't effect me but I could see where if my seats were in the original position it would be inconvenient. The MOMO makes all the difference in the world SWEEEEET! (I had a wooden Grant wheel that someone had used as a hammer at some point)

Wildthing
05-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Oops, the wheel IS install-able without the key, it will just push on once you pull the two tabs.

Damn True
12-05-2006, 04:09 PM
I'd guess they sell aluminum columns that get polished. I painted my steel ididit column body color.

Yes, it will work with a GM column, and the total height is about 4.5 inches. He's sending me a couple of spline covers to see which works better.

jp

JP,

What's your assesment of the system?

71dusterdan
12-16-2006, 08:07 PM
hey guys I'm planning a circle track column and q/r and wheel. the car will have a full cage race seats and 5pt harnesses any experiences you can relay or some advise/knowledge i did not consider. The car is being built for competition, yet retain enough street parts that i can drive it. I don't give a rats about bling, looks or cool. It is all about function, and keeping myself alive when i wreck it. Yes I did say when,not if.... I'm going to abuse it and put it in harms way at any sort of motorsports venue i can get to

telite
01-09-2007, 11:26 PM
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/009-Steering/002-QRSWH/index.asp

or what real racers use...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2039,176_Sweet-Collapsible-Steering-Column.html comes w/ detachable joint, track approved.

other options here...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/176_Race-Car-Steering.html

sweet is cheaper on some northwest sites too! a good product used in alot of nascar etc.
:drive1:

TheRoaringEagle
11-10-2013, 03:58 PM
That Sweet MFG quick release is nice. How do you install this in a 67 Camaro with stock column? Is it just a matter of welding the splined shaft to the stock shaft?