PDA

View Full Version : need help with selecting rear suspension

colt zantop
08-16-2004, 07:18 AM
hey everyone......Im trying to figure out how I can get my rear wheels to tuck on my 68 camaro (mini tub is out of the question right now)when I lower it but not have any clearance problems. I will be running 19x9.5's in the rear and plan to lower it. I want my wheels to tuck a little. I have heard I can get this by shortening the rear axle. I would probably just buy a new shortened rear axle but whats involved with relocating shocks...etc. and whats the "right" height I can go tire/rim.

any info would be great! :icon_razz

colt45

derekf
08-16-2004, 07:20 AM
If you're not hitting the shocks with the tires, the axle won't be the limiting factor. You can play with offset to get it to all fit under the car.

On the other hand, if it's all about getting a deeper offset without moving the tires any, then yeah, you'll need a shorter axle.

baz67
08-16-2004, 07:37 AM
I think Derek has it. It seems that just getting the correct backspacing would do it. Just measure a thousand times and order once. Just make sure they will not hit the shocks. On the 19, are you going with a 275 tire? If so what is the diameter? That may be a factor on suspension travel. You could also roll the lip.
Brian

copo69
08-16-2004, 04:11 PM
what is this ROLE THE LIP come on guy theese are classic,s you dont roll the lip tubs are the only way you dont just start rolling seams hey no offence meant to any its just my opinion soley that you do the tub,s if any and do it right the first time.. after all there is only one way to do things and thats the rigtht way ...

chicane67
08-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Well, lets see......you either roll the lip or cut the tire. Pretty straight forward if you ask me weather or not you do or do not use tubs.

These are not Pro-Street cars where the rear end track width is or can be much narrower than the front end itself. And NO, you do not have to run tubs in the chassis to fit the noted tire and wheel fitment......it can be successfully done with the proper offset and/or backspacing of the wheels alone.

Tubs are not "the right way"......it just happends to be "another way". A rolled lip is much eaiser, cheaper and less involved than doing a set of tubs.

A 9.5" wheel is darn near perfect for the rear of a 67-68 without doing any modifications to the chassis itself.......it is just some good and cheap insurance to roll the fender lip.

Like Brian stated, "Measure a zillion times, and order once".

colt zantop
08-16-2004, 05:02 PM
thanks for the quick replys guys. I didnt know just backspacing would do it. I want the tires to tuck a tad bit under the rear fender so I will measure a bunch!!! thanks guys....

colt45

astroracer
08-17-2004, 02:41 AM
http://www.cachassisworks.com/pdf/Fab9Instructions&Worksheet.pdf
as a guide for measuring. It's a worksheet for setting up rearend widths but it also works well to determine wheel offsets when you measure the stock components. Just be sure to determine the closest components to the backside of the tire whether it be the spring, shock or inner wheel well and mark that on the worksheet. :git:
Mark

Lowend
08-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Your backspace number should be around 5.25"

StRacerDuke
08-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Any reason why you don't want to mini tub it?
Normaly I'd suggest getting the plasma cutter and the welder out and go to town. I'm a big fan of making it like you want it, unless you plan on taking it back to restored condition someday.

Never compromise with want you really want.
Just my 2 cents.

colt zantop
08-17-2004, 12:12 PM
thanks guys! ill be measuring it up in a couple weeks. gotta wait for it to get home from DSE. thanks again!

colt45

colt zantop
08-17-2004, 12:15 PM
I would love to minitub it. trust me..its not that I dont want to....its that Im gonna need some time to save some $$$$ after this LS1 SWAP.....new baers on all 4 corners....and some other slight details....and I want the look now..LOL

colt45

La68camaro
08-25-2004, 04:14 PM
I thought the same way, i bought tires for my car thinking i wasnt going to mini tub it cause its too much trouble.. turns out its not and now im minitubbing with brand new tires/rims that i cant take back

big hassel to resell them on ebay and i'll lose cash in the process

StRacerDuke is right you shouldnt compromise because in the end you'll hate yourself like i am now :nopity:

TRILOGYZ28
08-27-2004, 10:35 AM
colt,
here is a pic when i stuffed my 20x10's off my late model camaro onto my 71 nova, just to see what it would look like. :hmm:
it's all in the backspacing/offset.....
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif