PDA

View Full Version : Suframe Rebuild 68 Camaro

squid
04-15-2006, 09:16 PM
I have a 68 Camaro, I am getting ready to take apart and rebuild the front SF using new and refurbished pieces. Everything forward of the firewall is coming off. I thought I saw a post/link/website detailing this. I was hoping I could get some pointers on who's been there/done that, lessons learned, and things you would have done different. I have some mech. experience, I have already rebuilt the engine, trans, and the interior.

I am hoping to have it apart (bagged/tagged/documented) in a day, then have it back together in a month or so. I know it might take longer, and I am okay with that.

I plan on POR15'ing the SF, and misc pieces. All of the power steering/brakes/suspension pieces will be replaced. Please let me know what you guys have learned, I appreciate your expertise and experience. (and any photos)

squid
04-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Has no one done this? Any lessons learned you'd like to pass down?

bretcopsey
04-19-2006, 10:25 AM
How far do you mean by "everything forward of the firewall?" Are we talking all sheetmetal, radiator, engine etc stripped before removing the subframe? If you need help walking through that part of the process, I would suggest the AIM manual as it will show you how the front sheetmetal goes together. The subframe itself is pretty straight forward. I have done all of this, but didn't document it very well. If you need help on specific problems, feel free to send me a PM.

rockdogz
04-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Are you replacing all suspension components with stock pieces? If you are considering going aftermarket at all with tubular A arms, gulstrand mod, new springs, new subframe, brakes, bushings/body mounts, wiring harness or whatever, now would be the time to do it. Take lots of pictures...

If you've never removed coil springs before, there are certain safety precautions to take, make sure you read up on those before you start.

I would think you would want to tape the edges of your fenders/doors when you remove them to avoid chipping. Get help to do this too - will be easier with 2 people.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

importkiller69ss
04-19-2006, 12:17 PM
i am in the process of doing this. i took all the sheetmetal off my car as one peice this made it really easy and all the gaps will be lined back up when it goes back.....fenders inner fenders grill core supprt everything.....really really easy and didnt have a ton of bolts to keep up with....i then pulled the subframe off with everything attached to it and drug it out with my 4 wheeler with the tires still on it......i had everything off the car in a few hours... i didnt use por 15 i used a gun and painted all my parts...i have my frame back together now to go in ...i did the guldstrand mod, ls1 brakes, 3rd gen box and put back all my hotchkis stuff.. only took me a few hours to get everything back on after it was painted....hope this helps i have pics of the start in my sig but no updated ones

squid
04-19-2006, 01:10 PM
I already have the parts:

Sitting on the shelf:
Baer SS Front Brakes
Praise Dyno Rear Drum Kit
Hotchkis 1 1/8 Hollow Sway Bar
DSE
UCA's
LCA Delrin Bushings
Rear 3" drop Leaf Springs and Shackles
PS Pump/Bracket/Cooler/SS Hoses
Koni Rear Shocks
QA1 Front Coilovers
IROC 3RD-Gen PS Box
MOOG Steering Pieces
Lots of POR-15

Everything is coming off. I am having a few friends over to remove everything in a day.

boodlefoof
04-20-2006, 01:26 PM
You might be referring to my website. I did this a few years back and wrote up a long step-by-step with pictures of the process. It is about 20 pages long.

http://www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/summer2002.html

Forgive the site if it goes down temporarily... it is free and they give me limited data transfer. It usually comes back up in an hour or two when down.