PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Boyd

MarkM66
10-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Hope this hasn't already been posted.

Sounds like some real bs to me, :banghead: .

http://streetrodderweb.com/hotnews/0410sr_boyds/

nkopper
10-13-2004, 10:36 AM
If that's the case, using the new repro Camaro bodies might turn out to be difficult in Cali. According to the law, the "new" Camaros would have to be titled by the year they were built (2004+), not they year they resemble. All current smog laws would then apply.

Nathan

TonyL
10-13-2004, 11:56 AM
it'll come down to what a "car" is. how much of a car can you replace without it being a new car? where's that line?

if the engine is a 69 chevy engine, is the car? what if the front clip of a camaro is legit? the core support and rails? and the "body" is a replacement?

Smoke'm
10-13-2004, 12:01 PM
It wont be just Cal..everything seems to start down there but all other States take notice and follow along....YIKES!

wonder if Boyd had to change his BVD's after they ran through the place... :attn:

trapin
10-14-2004, 06:38 AM
It doesn't sound like he did anything wrong or is in any kind of trouble. I don't care for the arrogant s.o.b but I doubt he's the type to commit fraud.

If that's the case, using the new repro Camaro bodies might turn out to be difficult in Cali. According to the law, the "new" Camaros would have to be titled by the year they were built (2004+), not they year they resemble.
Actually Nathan, I think that is the case in any state that they would be sold. They would also have to be titled as 'kit cars'. They would not allow the company to title them as 'Camaros'. Still....it's a cool concept. If I ever make that kind of money, I'd love to build one.

yellowcar72
10-14-2004, 07:30 AM
There is a provision in the CA vehicle code that lets people with kit cars register them as the year of the vehicle they represent. i.e. a Cobra 427 SC kit can be registered as a 65. The snag is they only issue 500 exemptions a year.

TurboLark
10-14-2004, 10:47 AM
I tink we all need to read up on the "Special Construction" laws. I know there are 2 companies selling street legal sandrails in California. They both use LS1 motors without all the smog junk. I was told they are exempt from smog regulations, but no mention of the registration proceedure.

Air Daddy
10-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Boyd has more trouble now.
I hear his painter Charlie Hutton quit.
Too bad, I liked him.
They should have fired that kid Blue Berry or what ever his name is.
Oh, and get that up tight little nazi Dewhine out of there too.
And for the love of God, keep Boyd in the office and out of the shop.
I liked Boyd better when he was fat and had an ugly wife.

I know I'm getting a little :offtopic:

MrQuick
10-14-2004, 06:55 PM
I'll try to salvage the topic for you.
In California a kit car would have the build year of the engine and that would be verified a smog referee.They would check and verify block id stamping.
So if your 66' Cobra replica had a 69' 428 in it, it would registered as a 69' model year.
These 69' Camaro bodies can't be built as a specially constructed vehicle cause it resembles the car it replaces.I know very confusing and vague...It would be considered a replacment part, believe it or not. So my advise(don't quote please) would be to find a trashed 69 Camaro then swap all the data plates and Vin tags top the new body...this is legal as long as reported and reattached at a CHP or DMV office. Right now only CHP is installing or reassigning VIN's.

69Lowbird
10-18-2004, 11:22 AM
I heard that the company building the Eleanor clones is getting Ford to designate new VIN's for them.

Conekiller13
10-19-2004, 04:34 PM
That is correct. I also belive the "new" Shelby Cobra's have new vins and are completly new cars. Although they are made in Vegas and not California.

jannes_z-28
10-20-2004, 11:57 AM
This story sounds like it came from the old Soviet Union.

Jan

Lowend
10-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...