PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column Install??!!

Chevelle LT1
04-14-2006, 10:55 AM
If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am trying right now to get the STRG colum installed on my 70 Chevelle, and it is holding everything else up. I bought a new seal for the steering column, where it passes through the firewall, and the seal comes with punch-outs to slip over the STRG column shaft.
The thing slipping me up right is the matter of geometry. Clearly, the seal will not slip over the shaft, because the column has the bracket to be used with the column shift (at least I think that's what it is for). Does anyone know if I have to disassemble the column to get the seal in place? Can I just cut the bracket off, since the car will be a floor shifter? Any ideas are appreciated.

Pictures of the seal and bracket.

justanova
04-14-2006, 01:33 PM
If anyone can help, it would be hugely appreciated. I am trying right now to get the STRG colum installed on my 70 Chevelle, and it is holding everything else up. I bought a new seal for the steering column, where it passes through the firewall, and the seal comes with punch-outs to slip over the STRG column shaft.
The thing slipping me up right is the matter of geometry. Clearly, the seal will not slip over the shaft, because the column has the bracket to be used with the column shift (at least I think that's what it is for). Does anyone know if I have to disassemble the column to get the seal in place? Can I just cut the bracket off, since the car will be a floor shifter? Any ideas are appreciated.

Pictures of the seal and bracket.

Is the column for an auto car or a stick? If it is for a stick I think that arm is for a rod from the trans that makes you put it in reverse before you can pull the key out, at least thats the way my nova was. I would assume at that point that the column would have to be dissassembled to get the seal on without cutting/tearing it.:dunno:

Chevelle LT1
04-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the response. The car is an A/T. I think you're right though, the arm does control if you can remove the key. Based on what my intentions are for the floor shifter, I don't think this arm will have a use anymore. At least, that's what I would guess.

Any other ideas? I still think I can cut this stupid thing off...