PDA

View Full Version : LS1/T56 + Aftermarket Subframe = weight savings?

68ls1
10-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Can any of the LS1 owners, especially those with aftermarket subframes, give me some kind of idea what kind of weight savings can be expected compared to a factory small block 4 speed 68 Camaro? I was thinking at least 200 lbs less for the LS1 and subframe. Anyone weigh their car before and after one of these swaps?

Thanks, Noel.

ballistic69
10-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Its 300+ lbs. and you will want to move the engine back about an inch or two because it will sit about 2" from the firewall. The pic below is before moving the engine back.

68ls1
10-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Kirt, is that number just for the LS1/T56 swap or does it take into account an aftermarket subframe as well? Thanks for the input. I have included a pic of where my motor sits, it's the best one I have at the moment, not very close up. From the research I have done, this car was about 3000 lbs from the factory, is that about right?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Thanks, Noel

ballistic69
10-14-2004, 06:05 AM
That includes that subframe. The WD subframe is about 200lbs lighter that the stock (according to WD) which visually looks likely. There is a whole lot less bulky metal piece upfront now. The LS1 engine is about 100lbs lighter than the old iron block. Do you have the S&P motor mount adapters? You have the same huge gap between the engine and the firewall that I had. 3000lbs is about right. As my build moves forward we will put it on scales in order to balance the car at all 4 corners.

spanky the wondermuffin
10-24-2004, 08:05 AM
a stock 68 camaro weighs well past 3000 lbs.try 34 to 37,depending on configuration.ls1/t56 is a mixed bag.the enginge is probably 100 less,but the t56 is much heavier than a muncie.plus electronics.i can pick up a camaro subframe and wrestle it around the yard so i don't think it is much more than 200lbs.hard to believe the wd sub only is 15 lbs or so.my camaro has fiberglass nose,doors and deck lid.no interior.kirky seat.full cage.sbc/alum.heads.tko.was a convertible but has all top parts removed.it just dips under 3000.hard to lose much weight safely.if you put on fiberglass doors you ned to add good door bars to your cage to prevent intrusion in case of side impact,negating the savings.but you do then have a stronger car.same with a nose,you must build a stucture to absorb some impact to replace the crumpling effect of the original sheet metal.jon'safety sissy' peters-sikora

ballistic69
10-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Spanky have you put your car on scales or is your weight an estimate? 68 Camaro curb weight is 2950 lbs
100 lbs savings from an aluminum block. Check
WD front end: light weight aluminum control arms, coil overs, disc brakes and alot less material in the actual frame.
Stock front end: Bulky upper and lower control arms, big heavy springs, drum brakes (on mine) bulky frame. A 150 lbs is a given, so I would say 250 lbs total is conservative. Granted you can ofset that saving with safety equipment very easily depending on your needs. I have a couple hundred lbs. on steel going into my cage. I would like to be below 3300 lbs with me in it.

Found this article from Hemmings Motor news:

With arch-nemesis Ford giving the Mustang a dynamic restyle for 1969, Chevrolet chose to refine the style and power of their two-year-old Camaro, despite the fact that an entirely new version was awaiting a 1970 debut. The revised car was 186 inches long (up from 1968's 184.6), 74 inches wide (up from 72.3) and had a 3,120-lb. curb weight (up from 2,950), but it rode on the same 108-inch wheelbase as previous cars. While the new Camaro's roof, glass, hood and trunk lid carried over, stylists affected changes by flattening the wheel arches, topping them with edgy character lines that trailed off into the following panels, stamping faux vents to the rear fenders and altering the fuel filler location and taillamps. Adding menace were two new headlamp and grille treatments; the standard (non Rally Sport) grille was a deeply vee'd eggcrate affair with headlamps set in silver bezels, while the optional RS treatment brought a smaller black grille flanked by headlamps that were hidden behind body-colored doors. These vacuum-operated headlamp doors were pierced with horizontal openings, and headlamp washers sprayed when the windshield was washed.

spanky the wondermuffin
10-26-2004, 07:07 AM
my car has been scaled several times.3493 with roll bar and steel body.3260 fiberglass body panels/cage.2987 with top removed and plexi windscreen.my weights are in line with others.i wouldn't take a 30 year old magazine article as gospel.

will69camaro
10-26-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm not positive on the 67-68 cars but my 69 weighed in at 3300 lbs full of gas and it's mostly stock (small block 4 speed) and i've added weight if anything (stereo, sub box, etc...). I'd think atleast 300lbs lost between the engine/trans and subframe.

William

harshman
10-26-2004, 04:12 PM
oh yah?!!! well i got you guys all beat. mine weighs 3,700 lbs - full fuel and my fat ass in it. :hah:

will69camaro
10-27-2004, 06:57 AM
So mine is 3300 lbs full of gas...That means it weigh in around 3450 with me in it!