PDA

View Full Version : Ford 9" axle seals

GUS68
04-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey guys!! I have no inner axle seals in the tubes of my ford 9" housing and can NOT use them if I wanted to, (long story). anyway I have been rinning it with just the sealed outer bearings for about a year now, and now they have started to leak so I replaced them and they still leak. a freind of mine said he seen in some dirt track catalog, retainer plates with seals in them!! But he cannot find the catalog. Sounds like the answer, iIF I can find them. Has anyone heard of these and where I can find them. Sounds like the outer retainer as a seal, so you put that on first, then press on the bearing then the lock coller then install like normal. HELP!!!

pav8427
04-16-2006, 04:49 AM
check speedway,

quadfather
04-16-2006, 05:58 AM
strange eng. makes a bearing with a seal for the big brg. ford ends . to replace the o-ring style, it's has an inner seal that fits over a step on the inboard side of the brg. and as you tighten the brg. ret.plate ,and the axles pushes in it expands in the housing end. and the brg. also has a seal that rides on the axle shaft . theese are the best sealing brgs. i have found yet . they come in a 3.150 dia. that fits many ends with this size brg.

chicane67
04-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Tube seals for a 9".....

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

GUS68
04-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey quad father!! I don't think I quite follow how these seals work. Is there any good pics on stranges web sight??? Chicane.... I looked at these in some catolog, I dont think they will work for my application, like I said, it's a LONG story, but I need some sort of seal on the end. Thanks for the help guys!!!

chicane67
04-16-2006, 07:25 PM
What housing ends are you using ?? Give me the short story....

I have been able to apply small DANA type tube seals on some housing ends.... by luck of the draw. Lemme know.

quadfather
04-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Hey quad father!! I don't think I quite follow how these seals work. Is there any good pics on stranges web sight??? Chicane.... I looked at these in some catolog, I dont think they will work for my application, like I said, it's a LONG story, but I need some sort of seal on the end. Thanks for the help guys!!!
the brg. has a step in it that the seal fits over. and when the brg. is bolted into the housing end , the seal is sqeezed ,and as it bottoms out in the end it expands a little. also the brg. has a seal on the i.d. that rides on the axle shaft. it.s a bearing/seal assembly. not just a sel for the tube like chicane suggested. either style should work . i'll post the part. numbers later.

quadfather
04-17-2006, 10:13 AM
strange part# a-1013 it's a tapered roller timken brg. 1.562 id 3.150 od. it goes for $31.80 retail inc. the seal.