PDA

View Full Version : NVH Material Selection

68LSS1
10-12-2004, 10:53 PM
I like many others have been looking at the various options now available to us for NVH, a abbreviation that I'm hoping means noise, vibration and heat, read in a reply by dennis68. I am looking for a product that will help all three of these issues, not be too thick and not weigh too much. Here's some stuff to hopefully help some others and help me make a decision. Note that all the following information is off of the respective products website and I have no real world knowledge of any of them (except I've seen them in pictures, does that count?).
The first one is one of the most well known:Dynamat. (http://http://dynamat.com/) This as the name implies is a self adhesive mat that can be cut. It is suppose to resist aging and resists NVH. The website says to install a layer of Original Dynamat which is 199.99 for 6sqft and then install Dynaliner over it which is 49.95 for a 32"x54" piece but it is not recommended for high heat. For high heat use Dynamat Xtreme which is 249.95 for 9 18"x32" pieces and of course the Extremeliner over that for 89.95 per 24"x36" piece. Couldn't find anything about the weight but I'd say heavy especially with the multiple layers that they recommend. Next up is Fatmat (http://fatmat.com/) which says they are the Dynamat Xtreme alternative. Again, another mat but I couldn't find anything that said that this product resisted heat. 100sqft runs 99.99 and weighs 23lbs. Like Dynamat they have many different kits and packs. They also have a liquid which is 49.99 a gallon but no mention on being heat resistant with it either. Next up is Cascade Audio Engineering. (http://www.cascadeaudio.com/products.html) Nevermind. Their website give me the image of a (politically correct) import tuner needing to keep their fart can stereo booming car from vibrating apart. No offense to anyone but that is my impression plus the navigation sucked. Research them on your own. Edead v3.0 from Edesign Audio (http://www.edesignaudio.com/edeadv3.htm) is next. A liquid that goes for 50.00 a gallon and has no H resistance. It is waterproof, somewhat flexible and contains rust inhibitors. Moving right a long we have Lizard Skin. (http://www.coollizard.com/) Looks promising: NV and H capabilities. 2 gallons for 185.00 that should cover 46-50sqft @ 40 mil. Can be sanded and painted. Supposed to reduce engine and solar heat transfer by 25-30 degrees, road noise by 10-12 decibels. Everything I want as far as weight and heat resistance. Probably not as good as Dynamat Xtreme on NV though. Brown Bread comes to us from B-Quiet. (http://www.b-quiet.com/index.html) It looks very sismilar to Dynamat and they compare themselves to Dynamat. They also have a original and Extreme. The Extreme weighs .33lbssqft to Dynamats .45 but it is thinner. A lot cheaper at 50sqft for 84.99. Oh-oh... they have a liner too and that is the only area that they talk about heat resistance. been told that you can get the Brown Bread on E-bay. Sooooo, what's everyone think. Anybody used any of this stuff? Right now I'm leaning towards the Lizard Skin with maybe a little mat on the firewall, Brown Bread or Dynamat in the E/Xtreme of course.

I forgot to add the Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&MID=9876&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&CNTKEY=Products_2%2fBuilding+Supplies%2fInsulation %2fFoil+Insulation) foil insulation which stops 97% radiant energy. 24"x25' is only 20.97 but doesn't say nothing about NV.

And yes I forgot to hit the spell check button. :hand:

mdprovee
11-02-2004, 09:19 AM
I have heard that Dynamat is asphalt based and will give off a smell of asphalt inside the car. I read on Ebay that Cascade is not, but dont know how true that is. Don't know about the others, if they are the same or different. I am getting ready to start this and looking for a product that will not smell after installed.

Mike

68LSS1
11-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. Can anyone else second the smell when using Dynomat? My project will be a daily driver and living in Florida with all the sun I definately don't think this would be good if that's true.

Larry Callahan
11-02-2004, 10:44 AM
I don't know if it's still the same but a few years ago Dynamat sent me a 3 ring binder with samples of all the items they make. I put the folder in my truck behind the seat and after a few days my entire truck smelled like asphalt. They may have made changes in the material and the smell might have gone away soon but I could not take it anymore. I took the folder out of my truck and threw it away.

dennis68
11-02-2004, 11:21 AM
I deal quite a bit with Cascade at work, DCX uses Cascade exclusivley for sound NV in the doors of almost every cat they build. Very durable stuff, also very thick and lightweight. Pricey as I recall. Most new cars are just using a liquid floor sealer that reduces both NVH and heat (converters under passengers feet produce some serious heat).

boodlefoof
11-02-2004, 04:28 PM
I just did my interior with the FatMat and thought it worked very well. I didn't have the cash to spend on the Dynamat and got 100 square feet of FatMat instead.

The good points - very easy to work with... it is foil backed butyl basically. Just heavy, sticky, rubbery material. But, it is thinner and weighs less than Dynamat... probably doesn't dampen sound as well because it is lighter, but that is ok. I put down two layers on my floors and on a divider plate to the trunk. Made a big difference in noise! Even with the 40 series Flowmasters. Stuff smells a tiny bit when you first peel off the paper backing, but only for a second. Also, I don't think it could hold any moisture.

Bad points - Delivery time was about 3 weeks after they told me it would be 1 week. I wasn't in any hurry though. Also, it isn't the best for heat insulation... more about sound.

Hope that helps.

pontiaction
11-03-2004, 11:13 PM
I purchased the B-quiet extreme and the B-quiet L-comp. they work good together. it definately made a huge difference keeping the noise out of the cabin. before I installed it, I had to yell to have a conversation- not anymore. as far as heat insulating goes, it helped alot also but not as much as I would have liked. when I`m driving for short distances, it works really well - 1/2 hour to 45 min. but anything more than that and you could feel the heat starting to come through. it still gets real hot by the tranny tunnel and right under my feet. I guess the best way to avoid that would be to put a shield between the header collectors and the floor. overall I would give it a thumbs up. hope this helps. by the way, this is in a 78 trans am.

68LSS1
11-04-2004, 01:33 AM
I appreciate the responses guys. Keep them coming.

yody
12-23-2004, 12:36 PM
i have my whole inteiror dynamated extreme, the car is in the gargae not being used, so i can't say that i smell anything, but the leather recaros :) maybe when it gets real hot? but that doesn't make sense. This is the first I have heard of it. I have a good suggestion, call each company and talk to people on the phone, probably a lot mor informative!

CarlC
12-26-2004, 09:50 PM
NVH = Noise, Vibration, Harshness.

If some of the aftermarket products are a rubberized asphaltic product what about using something from the roofing industry? I have a roll of Bituthene

http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/product.cfm?mode=c&did=11&id=80#2511

in my storage shed that is left over from a house project. It's a rubberized asphalt material with one side peel off and the other a plastic sheeting. Once the paper peel off is removed and the Bituthene put down on a clean surface there is no going back, it is stuck for good.

If this product could be combined with an inexpensive foil applied to the sticky side it might make for a very good product. Best of all 200 ft^2 is about $115.

The thickness of the rubberized asphalt is 1/6" thick. Does anyone have a piece of Dynamat that can be disected to compare the rubber section thickness?

dennis68
12-26-2004, 11:25 PM
Carl, how's it smell? I hear the asphault products tend to stink, especially in the confines of a car.

yody
12-27-2004, 12:06 AM
there is something called peel and seal, that is used for roofing, that looks and feels identical to dynamat extreme, and i mean exactly, however it is probably ashpalt based. I have not heard of the stink thing though

CarlC
12-27-2004, 01:40 PM
I don't know. I'll try and cut a piece off and stick it in one of the cars, but the weather is not cooperating with the temps in the mid-50's. The higher the temp, the greater the chance of outgassing.

StaticAGE
01-21-2005, 06:50 PM
I used the FatMat in my Trans Am and it did work quite well, but like others have said, it didn't block the heat nearly as well as I had hoped. As for the smell, it is VERY strong. I live in Florida and when I would open the door the smell was horrible, gave me headaches too. After a few week of driving with the windows open it went away though....The peel and stick (or seal) that is used for roofing is very similar at least as far as feel and smell are concerned. Only major difference that I know of is the fact that it doesn't have a reflective lining on one side like most of the others do.

BRIAN
01-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Evercoat Q Pads work great and don't stink. No heat protection but then again besides firewall and tranny tunnel where are you expecting heat from? They are cheap but get kind of heavy when you add up the case you will need. I am giving the Lizard stuff a try on next ride.

hessdawg
02-01-2005, 10:52 PM
hey
i dynamat extremed my entire trans am . haven't smelled a thing. i have 2 or three boxes left over (36 sq ft each) if anybody is interested

Flyboy
02-02-2005, 04:47 AM
hessdawg, you have a PM! I'm interested!

Flyboy
02-04-2005, 08:54 PM
hessdawg, I replied to your PM