PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do?!?!

formula
04-13-2006, 01:55 PM
First...I figured open p-t would be the best place for this since it comprises suspension, transmission, paint and body, and potentially other categories all together. Sorry if I chose wrong.

Alright so I'm getting ready to put together a pretty major project on the ol' formie.

Here's what I WANT to do...not sure if the budget's going to allow for all of it, but this is just the planning stages.

Suspension
-Air Ride AirBar rear suspension kit
-AirRide Shockwave double adjustable “strong arm” front suspension kit
-AirRide Ridepro-e Air control/compression system
-Flaming river power steering box
-Misc Lines, etc.

Chassis
-G-Braces
-Subframe connectors
-Solid Body bushings

Clutch
-Lightweight aluminum flywheel
-Modular bellhousing
-Street twin clutch
-Adjustable ball stud
-clutch linkage

I would also be cleaning up and redoing my front subframe while it was pulled for the body mounts.

My question is, what else SHOULD I do that relates to these projects? I.e. Should I go ahead and replace my rag joint while I'm doing the steering box? Stuff like that.

Also, is it possible to pull the entire front subframe on a second gen with the motor and trans still attached to it ? That would be so convenient for me, if it is...

6'9"Witha69
04-13-2006, 03:11 PM
These look like good things and definitely . . .

My question is, what else SHOULD I do that relates to these projects? I.e. Should I go ahead and replace my rag joint while I'm doing the steering box? Stuff like that. This sort of thing HAS to be done. A small price for a very large bit of insurance. Like new bushings if you pull the frame (I know you are, just giving an example).

Also, is it possible to pull the entire front subframe on a second gen with the motor and trans still attached to it ? That would be so convenient for me, if it is...Yes. Just undo the stuff that connects the trans and engine to the body (just stating the obvious).

formula
04-13-2006, 04:00 PM
These look like good things and definitely . . .
This sort of thing HAS to be done. A small price for a very large bit of insurance. Like new bushings if you pull the frame (I know you are, just giving an example).

Yeah, I have no problem doing stuff like that. I just want to make sure that I get all the things that HAVE to be done, you know? I don't want to put together all this new stuff, to find out that something I could have easily replaced while it was all apart has to be replaced. This happened to me when I did my tranny swap-- I didn't think to replace my pilot bushing until after I had everything all back together and running. So pretty much, anything that you guys would do while you had the front subframe out and the entire rear suspension and rear end out.

Yes. Just undo the stuff that connects the trans and engine to the body (just stating the obvious).

sweeeeet

6'9"Witha69
04-13-2006, 04:43 PM
It looks like you have suspension covered, and some steering. What about tie rods, adjuster sleeves, drag link, idler arm, pitman arm? Engine Mounts. Yiou asked if it was possible to pull the sub w/ the engine and trans. Yes, you can, but should you strip it, fully weld it and powdercoat/paint/por15, etc? You may never get it on a rotisserie, so what about at least wire wheeling and Por15 the underside of the floorpans? I would definitely suggest stripping and repainting the inner fenders and core support if need be. What is the condition of the brake line that goes to the front right brake? Engine and trans mounts. Do you want to smooth the firewall or do anything to clean it and dress it? Now is the time for all that cosmetic detailing while everything is out of the way.
This is the top of my head list of stuff to look at while it is apart. Just be careful with body panels. Chips along the edges are terrible if the rest of the paint is OK or better for a while.

formula
04-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Heck yeah, that's more what I was thinking of. I knew there were tons of little projects that I needed to go ahead and take care of, I just couldn't put my finger on them and figured outside minds could probably help me.

Added to the list--
-tie rods, adjuster sleeves, drag link, idler arm, pitman arm
-Engine Mounts
-strip the front sub, fully weld it and powdercoat/paint/por15
-Stripping and repainting inner fenders and core support
-check the condition of the brake line that goes to the front right brake
-Possibly clean up the firewall

Keep 'em comin!

justanova
04-14-2006, 01:43 PM
As far as the subframe goes, powder coating is probably going to be cheaper than painting, because the powder coater will sandblast and then powder coat. that will save you a lot of time and it will look nice for a long time.

formula
04-17-2006, 03:16 PM
As far as the subframe goes, powder coating is probably going to be cheaper than painting, because the powder coater will sandblast and then powder coat. that will save you a lot of time and it will look nice for a long time.

hot damn....I didn't even think about that! thanks for the tip!