PDA

View Full Version : ANY input on bearing leak? Help!

Clsccmro
04-13-2006, 07:26 AM
I have tried a couple of different things now, and nothing is working or even helping the problem. I have a 69 camaro with a brand new 9" ford rear installed. The Moser 31 spline axles came with the sealed bearings already pressed onto the shaft. I slid the axles into the housing, put all of the brakes back together, and filled the rear housing with fluid. After about a week I realized that the bearings had not sealed the end of the housing correctly. I was under the belief that the sealed bearings were the only thing between the brake backing plates and the housing ends, but I'm thinking I must be wrong. I did not receive any gaskets with the axles or O-rings of any kind. I torqued the bolts on the housing ends to 60 ft/lbs. each. I was told to put some silicone around where the edge of the bearing meets the housing end, but since it has already begun to leak it makes for a much more difficult task. I wanted to find out ASAP if I have done something wrong because I am about to pull the brakes back apart to put silicone where I think it needs to go. I don't want to go through all that and not have fixed the problem. So, if there is something I am missing here, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

HILROD
04-13-2006, 07:35 AM
I have aftermarket axles, and a leak. Some bearings have an o-ring around the outer circle to seal the tube. Jack up only the offending side closest to the tire, remove axle clean area, re-install. No draining required. FRANK

Josh
04-14-2006, 07:54 AM
I beleive there are oil seals that need to be installed in the axle tube, before the axle/bearing is slipped in. There usually is a gasket between the housing end and retainer plate.

CarlC
04-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I have aftermarket axles, and a leak. Some bearings have an o-ring around the outer circle to seal the tube. Jack up only the offending side closest to the tire, remove axle clean area, re-install. No draining required. FRANK

....and put a thin coat of silicone on the bore of the housing to seal the outer ring.