PDA

View Full Version : header issues

PARKERRS
04-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Has anyone installed doug thorley headers on a second gen camaro? I am installing on a 1973 camaro, left side fits great, right side forward tube of tri-y is only 3/16 inch clearance between it and lower control arm mount, also only 1/4 incn between collector flange and floor, collector angles toward trans.
I thought it might be a warped header so I contacted the manufacturer and they sent out another set immediately( extremely courtious customer service). The new right header hits the lower cta mount when bolted up without gasket for trial fit and collector flange rubs edge of trans pan on 700R4. Contacted manufacturer again, they say that this(375-y) is their most popular header and they sell 75 sets a week with no comeback issues. I have the car on jacks, frame is level side to side and front to back, trans pan shows level, oil pan sump shows level. Motor mounts are new factory type for Z/28, trans mount also factory type, engine stands on block are new, GMPP fast burn 385 crate engine. Have any of you run into this or does anyone have a header suggestion that will provide max ground clearance? I prefer long tube headers, car is lowered with hotchkis springs and sway bars. Sorry to be so long winded, just wanted to include all info.
Thanks, Tommy Parker :hmm:

PARKERRS
05-04-2006, 04:11 AM
See my post Stan is the man!

paxildog
06-15-2007, 08:51 AM
I have a set of Doug Thorley's being put on today, 341c, in a 73 TA w/455 and 4spd tranny. Warner's Muffler in Oceanside is doing the work and yes, they are a bear. Many more mods than expected but thay are in and the Magna Flow exhaust will be finished today. Give him a call at 760-433-2240. He's very good and has been working with Thorley's and Doug's for years. He should have an answer for your q's.

73ta
06-18-2007, 02:05 PM
You should have went with Doug's. Mine went in like a hot knife in butter. No mods necessary. I've had three differnt types of headers on my 73 TA 4spd and these are the best by far!