PDA

View Full Version : X pipe ?

69ratfed
04-12-2006, 11:39 AM
I am about to order a X pipe for my 69 Camaro. I have looked at just about all of them and narrowed it down to 2. The Dr. Gas or the Torque Tech. Both look like they are well built. I did not know if anyone had any opinions on either.
I'm trying to quiet this 454 down. I think I might have to change mufflers as well. I have Flowmaster 40's right now. Might change to Borla or Spintech street series. Opinions needed.
Thanks guys and gals.

harshman
04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
I have the 70 series with an x pipe made by my installer and turn down by the rear quarters. It is quiet enough but noticeable when played with.

Doug G
04-22-2006, 04:16 AM
I'm running the 2.5" American Thunder system with H-pipe and a healthy 406sb.

http://media.putfile.com/CompCam-280H <--hear it here.
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Dougs68Camaro/?action=view&current=DSCF0001.flv <--or here.

Norwoodx55
04-22-2006, 06:49 PM
There really was a big difference between the 40 and 50 series Flows. on my car. The 40's were way too loud for me. The 50's are just right IMO. The 50 is a little harder to fit because of the extra length, but it was worth the effort for me. If you like the Flowmaster sound but just want less of it, try the 50's.

69ratfed
04-24-2006, 04:11 AM
There really was a big difference between the 40 and 50 series Flows. on my car. The 40's were way too loud for me. The 50's are just right IMO. The 50 is a little harder to fit because of the extra length, but it was worth the effort for me. If you like the Flowmaster sound but just want less of it, try the 50's.

Thanks for the info. I ordered my exhaust last Thursday.
Dr. Gas X-pipe
Spintech Sportsman Street XL
Torque Tech Tailpipes.
1 Pair of ball and cones for mufflers.

Talking with Spintech, this is what they recommended as far as mufflers.

69MACH1
04-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Spintech installed my exhaust. 3" Dr. Gas X-pipe, Sportsman mufflers and side exhaust. I am very please with the sound and the quality of the exhaust. It sounds much better than Flowmasters and I picked up some midrange power that I could feel in the seat.

Last weekend I was detailing my undercarriage and I cleaned the exhaust with a scotch-brite pad and the exhaust looks new, this is after 12,000 miles and getting caught out in the rain several times.

I know you will be happy with your new exhaust.

Mike

69ratfed
04-25-2006, 05:04 AM
Spintech installed my exhaust. 3" Dr. Gas X-pipe, Sportsman mufflers and side exhaust. I am very please with the sound and the quality of the exhaust. It sounds much better than Flowmasters and I picked up some midrange power that I could feel in the seat.

Last weekend I was detailing my undercarriage and I cleaned the exhaust with a scotch-brite pad and the exhaust looks new, this is after 12,000 miles and getting caught out in the rain several times.

Mike

Mike, I hope I am too. This was a big headache choosing the mufflers. There are to many to choose from. I will let everyone know next week how they sound. So will the DMV. Going to get new tags next week.:box2: Round 1

nbecker
04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
I have spintechs on my impala after 3inch x pipe.Very happy with the sound.Everybody has flowmasters and they rap out to much.My exhaust is a little loud because of my turn downs, once i get me rear suspension done it will go out the back.

rocketman
04-26-2006, 06:59 PM
try a super40 flowmaster

importkiller69ss
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
i have super 40's and they are loud but i am young and i love it. with 3" pipes and longtubes they sound wicked..cops hate it though

69ratfed
04-28-2006, 04:53 AM
All of my exhaust is in and going to be put on next week.
Here is what I ended up with:

Dr. Gas X-pipe.
Spintech Sportmans Street XL w/ball and cones.
Torgue Tech Tailpipes.
Will let everyone know how it turns out.

69ratfed
05-22-2006, 05:28 AM
Got the exhaust on and man what a HUGE difference. Just at idle the egine picked up 200 rpm's from flowing better. The idle sound is awesome and the sound when you rap on car is incredible.
I highly recommend Spintech mufflers and Dr.Gas x-pipe also the Torque Tech tailpipes.

67 455 Bird ragtop
05-24-2006, 05:30 AM

Mike

Mike - Thanks for posting a link with pics of this exhaust. I've wanted to see one installed. I have been kicking around the idea of using these mufflers on my 67 'Bird. Looks nice. Do you have a sound clip of your car?? If so can you post it ??

Thanks

CAMAROBOY69
05-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Got the exhaust on and man what a HUGE difference. Just at idle the egine picked up 200 rpm's from flowing better. The idle sound is awesome and the sound when you rap on car is incredible.
I highly recommend Spintech mufflers and Dr.Gas x-pipe also the Torque Tech tailpipes.
Any videos or sound clips of your new exhaust? Glad your happy with it. Pics would be cool too.

69ratfed
05-31-2006, 05:07 AM
I do not have any pics or sound clips. Wish I could put some on here. I guess I am going to have to get a digital camera. But, I can tell you everything fits up tight and sounds great.

1Fine69
06-01-2006, 03:54 AM
i have the headman longtubes and h pipe with the super 40's going through 2.5in pipes but i dont know if i souls switch to the 3 inchers. i know x pipe would help but im nto sure how much. peope ahve told me with higher compression you sould ha e slightly smaller pipe but i hav eno idea if thats true. even if it is mines only 9.5:1. should i go to 3 inch or no?

69ratfed
06-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I would bump up to 3''. You never know, you might want to add-on some more power later on down the road. Your exhaust will already be in place. What hp do you have now?

1Fine69
06-01-2006, 08:04 PM
im at about 530 and 510 ft/lbs off the block.

69ratfed
06-02-2006, 05:32 AM
3'' all the way.:cool: I am 440rwhp before some modifications.