PDA

View Full Version : msd e-curve

nbecker
04-11-2006, 07:13 AM
has anyone used msd's e-curve dis?do you like it?
Is a digital-6 box worth it or should i just get a 6al

my hei is all over the place.:rolleyes:

rocketman
04-11-2006, 01:58 PM
i use alot of pro billet dis with no problems,and a digital box i think is a must,there alot more accurate than the 6a style.i use the digital boxes in all my cars.

Doug G
04-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I was having same issues with timming,old HEI was well worn and in need of fixing. I bought this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8057183606&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT and timming is rock steady. 20* mech and 20* vac (vac is adjustable).

I also am running the MSD6al but now the Digital 6 (not out when I bought mine) looks like what I'll swap to next.

nbecker
04-26-2006, 12:52 PM
I put a msd module and coil my friend had laying around and the timing is solid now.But still going to get another dist. in the future.
Im going to get a digital-6 box.Thanks for the input.

Y-TRY
04-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I have an E-Curve on the way right now and am VERY excited to start playing with it. Short of EFI, it looks to be a great set-up. I'll be swapping-out my Unilite with the new MSD, and mating it do my 6BTM.

I will let you know how it goes. I already have a pretty cool base setting down on paper. I'm mainly excited about part-throttle driving with so much curve to tune in. I'll keep you posted.

69protour
04-28-2006, 05:07 AM
I've got one, and love it! Youv'e got 20 different centrifugal curve settings and 5 vac. adv. settings thats 100 different combinations to use on your car! Plus it's got a built in rev limiter! Just turn the rotary dials and your good to go! Good luck, you'll like it. Trond.

Y-TRY
04-28-2006, 08:28 AM
I put a call in to MSD and even stumped them. I'm waiting on a reply. I was asking if the vac. port for the advance could handle boost, since I'm running a blow-through carb. They needed to get with one of the engineers and find out. Although I'd love to be able to pull in some vac. advance it won't kill me not to.

Marktat
04-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I also have an MSD PN#8394 electronic E-curve. The workmanship is very good, which I think is typical for MSD. The curve was relatively easy to set up. However, a reference table supplied in the manual must be used to dial in a two digit combination using two dials. The combination can’t be selected without the reference tables so don’t loose your manual. The total advance is only selectable in 5 degree increments (i.e. 15, 20, 25) which (IMO) is the weakest part of the unit, I would like to see single increment adjustability. The selectable vacuum advance is selectable for both inches of vacuum and the amount of degrees; this is the best vacuum advance system I have ever seen. Using my test light I found the actual vacuum advance and mechanical advance to be exactly what reference table indicated. A rev limit can be selected on a third dial. The dials increments are very small and very hard to read, especially if the distributor is already mounted. I had to set my distributor 200 rpm higher than indicated to get the desired rev limit. Hitting the rev limit is quite smooth. Overall I give this product two thumbs up.

nbecker
04-29-2006, 03:11 PM
thanks for the info,Im going to get the e-curve and digital-6.
now im convinced

Y-TRY
06-23-2006, 08:26 AM
The E-Curve is awesome, but I wasn't able to use the vac. advance as I had hoped. The distributor can take up to about 25psi (per MSD) but my blow-through carb has the ported vac. plugged.

The curve is exactly how it says on the chart, too. very cool.

Marktat
06-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Why would you use ported vacuum. Go with manifold vacuum. I believe most "experts" seem to prefer manifold over ported.

bt2
10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
i need a little help with setting up my msd 8394 e curve dist. i want 36* total. i have locked out the dist. and set it at 36* per instructions an set the 25* curve i want but when i restart it will show 36* total but if i try to let motor idle down the timing go down to 11 or 12 but it wont run. way to much retard. it will only run decent with 30* intial if i retard it any lower it wont run right less than 20* and major exhaust temps

camminc
11-13-2008, 07:22 PM
I have a E-curve distributor and an MSD digital 6 box. Nothing better than the E-Curve, it and the capacitor box solved all my issues with spark control. I certainly recommend having the box with the distributor. I made software to view the curve's and give me the switch settings, etc. The graphs and paper work from MSD were to confusing and alot of it was incorrect plus it's not hard to confuse me anyway. You can see the software at http://cammhsm.com/