PDA

View Full Version : 200r4 good deal?

jeff5347
04-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Im running a 350 making roughly 400 or so. I have a deal were i can get a 200-4r for 300 dollars. Looking right now to see if the torque converter comes with it and if the linkage (if any) is with it also. I am told it comes from a 87 monte ss.
Not looking to beat on it or rev it just want the better take off than a th350 and have the overdrive. Ill have the occasional 1 or 2 times a summer track day and the obvious burnout and such. Will the tranny hold up without beating it. Just so you know i have a th350 now from a 79 malibu that only has a shift kit in it and it has some shavings in the pan and the tranny is still holding strong and shifting quick and nice.
1.Is this a good tranny (200-4r)?
2.How do i look at the tranny and make sure it is a legit monte 200 or some other from the lesser vehicles. Any code or markings to look for?
3.I m going to run it this year and then rebuild it over the winter to stronger.
Funny as he has gn trannies but wont sell them. damn.

rocketrod
04-10-2006, 12:12 PM
1.Is this a good tranny (200-4r)?
2.How do i look at the tranny and make sure it is a legit monte 200 or some other from the lesser vehicles. Any code or markings to look for?

Yes the CZ, 86-87 Monte Carlo SS, coded transmissions are an excellent choice for your application.

[quote=jeff5347]

Read post # 3.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14927

3.I m going to run it this year and then rebuild it over the winter to stronger.
Assuming the transmission works you can try it, but in its stock form I wouldn't expect it to last to long unless you drive it like a little old lady.

Funny as he has gn trannies but wont sell them. damn.
The CZ/CQ transmission are a better fit for your application.

$300 might be a little high for a trans you are going to rebuild. I bought three Monte Carlo SS trans, 2-CZ and 1-CQ, with torque converters for $375. I just put an ad in the local paper and the phone started ringing.

Good luck

jeff5347
04-10-2006, 12:48 PM
would it better than for me to just pick up a bowtie overdrive 200 level2 or such. I read real bad reveiws form these guys though.
Also Rod, is yours rebuilt or a stock unit. Another question is are the th350 stronger and hold more power than a 200r4 or 700r4 stock to stock form. Also the tv adjustment. Was it an easy job to adjust or was it a PITA. Did GM ever build a strong tranny. seems all i hear is this one sucks, that one suck, and such. So depressing.

rocketrod
04-10-2006, 02:13 PM
would it better than for me to just pick up a bowtie overdrive 200 level2 or such. I read real bad reveiws form these guys though.
Also Rod, is yours rebuilt or a stock unit. Another question is are the th350 stronger and hold more power than a 200r4 or 700r4 stock to stock form. Also the tv adjustment. Was it an easy job to adjust or was it a PITA. Did GM ever build a strong tranny. seems all i hear is this one sucks, that one suck, and such. So depressing.
I had BRIAN over at ww.turbobuick.com build mine. Here is the parts list for mine

CQ 2004R core from a MonteSS.
Trans is a lock up
Came with TCI lockup kit fully wired
Correct speedo gears for a 3.73 gears.
550 & 400 boost valves
10 vane pump
Hardened pump ring kit
Alto clutches (extra where needed) and wide Red band.
Billet drum
GM hardened input shaft
GN large servo
Art Carr deep cast aluminum pan
Roller bearings throughout
GM TV cable
I purchased a 10" 2800 rpm stall heavy duty lock torque converter from Pats Performance and a Bowtie Overdrives crossmember which is really nice.

The trans should survive passes well into the mid/low 10`s with no worries, which is overkill for my application but the price was too good to pass up.

As for as Bowtie Overdrives go. I personally have no experience with them, but based it on what I read on several different web sites, plus like I said I got a really goo deal on my trans. I would recommend their crossmember.