PDA

View Full Version : sollid roller camshaft for street

dougs68ss
04-09-2006, 06:27 PM
anybody using a sollid roller for street? and what compression ratio are you running. ive built a new motor for my car (355) chev. ive built it at 12:1 compression ratio, steel c/s, forged pistons, h beam rods etc.but ive thought about swapping the pistons to a flat top wich will give me a 10:1 my sollid roller ive put in is 577 x 304 dur, ide like to keep that cam, should make good power. theres a sonoco 110 gas station right around the corner.....any thoughts on what your using?...

Scott Parkhurst
04-10-2006, 08:53 AM
I like mine...

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=1945664039

If you have any further questions, let me know.

~SP~

kmcanally
04-10-2006, 09:19 AM
I am running a street roller in my Mustang with 11.5-1 compression. A big cam will help make your compression more compatible with pump gas. Big cams keep the intake valve open longer past BDC thus bleeding off some of the cylinder pressure at lower RPM's.

My only cocern is how long the lifters will last. Most solid roller lifters rely on high RPM oil splash to keep the needle bearings lubricated. Some of the newer lifters like the Isky Red Zone lifters actually pressure feed the bearings....but they are hi-dollar.

68sixspeed
04-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Spend the money for the lifters with the pressurized oiling system, I've had some real expensive bills over the years from the other ones, and I've changed a few of the old comp-cams ones with the oil grooves out that pounded out after a few thousand miles too. -Dan

rocketman
04-10-2006, 06:37 PM
i run them in all my street cars
94 z28 396 12.1 comp
69 vette 427 11.1 comp
37 ford 710 12.1 comp

customcam
04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Would it be better to run A hydraulic Roller for the street?

rocketman
04-10-2006, 09:21 PM
well,easy,less hastle,but there's not really a good aftermarket hyd lifter,comp is having problems with there "r" hyd lifters.stock style will be fine,you dont race it or spin it in the upper rpm range.

dougs68ss
04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
are you using race gas also? on your 12-1?

rocketman
04-11-2006, 06:45 PM
are you using race gas also? on your 12-1?

no,only at the track,91 pg,the camaro and 37 are efi,so tuning has alot to do with it.the coupe is not totally done yet,but all the dyno pulls we did where on 91 and it made almost 1100hp.i drive camaro almost everyday in the summer,and no problems.

rocketman
04-11-2006, 06:47 PM
you should checkout the latest phr there's some good pg tricks in there,the motor that won the phr deal had 13.1 comp.

dougs68ss
04-11-2006, 07:55 PM
HOW ABOUT A MIX OF 5O/% pump and race?

Blown353
04-11-2006, 08:20 PM
wthere's not really a good aftermarket hyd lifter,

Morel HR lifters are extremely good, best out there right now. Morel is the outfit that makes the "double roller" lifters for the top fuel guys. Isky sells them. There's a standard version in their book, and then there's a more expensive version that isn't. You want the more expensive ones.

As far as "street friendly" solid roller lifters the Isky Red Zones are about as good as it gets. However, even the best lifters only go so far. if you want the setup to live a decent life on the street it's best if you pick "reasonable" lobe profiles that don't require massive valvesprings. If you can find lobes that only require somewhere around 175/450 max for spring pressures (and keep your max RPM expectations reasonable) the benefit will be much, much longer service life out of everything in the valvetrain.

Also, make sure you get a billet core cam with a pressed-on iron distributor gear so you can run a GM melonized gear on your distributor and have the advantage of long and maintenance free distributor gear life. Beware any roller cam, hydraulic or solid, ground on a cast core. Comp is infamous for their "street solid rollers" and their HR cams, both of which are ground on cast cores. They have a nasty habit of losing their lobes...

rocketman
04-11-2006, 09:07 PM
HOW ABOUT A MIX OF 5O/% pump and race?

i have mixed it,you can but if i am going to do that i just run full race fuel.

rocketman
04-11-2006, 09:12 PM
good point i forgot a billet core is a must for any roller cam.crower solid lifters are a good solid roller also.and the iskys,i dont have exp yet with them,just the word around the shop.

Y-TRY
04-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Solid Rollers are fine, albeit a bit more hassle.

FWIW- Go solid roller if your lobe profiles require it, not because it sounds cool. There's no reason to put a solid roller in if there's a hyd. roller with the same specs available. If your combo really NEEDS the crazy-steep ramps that only an SR can do, then go solid, but only then. It's just not worth the compromise on a regularly driven car.

I have a solid roller with 8:1 compression, but forced induction.

dougs68ss
04-12-2006, 04:50 PM
yes, billet cam core with pressed on iron gear. this was ground at herbert racing cams. EXTREEMLY decent price! 137.00 bucks, retro solid lifters, with bar. 160.00 dollars, they said these outlast even the best comps. said to replace at 10,000 miles. crap. ill be dead by then. springs 1.460 dia. 200 lbs seat pressure @ installed highth. JUST for your info.