PDA

View Full Version : Help me build an engine

mikejkd1
04-08-2006, 01:41 PM
I have a 350 4 bolt that I want to twin turbo. What do I put in it for crazy hp #'s. Also fuel and ignition. Should I o-ring the head? I know that on my Cummins it was "required" for >50psi. So I guess I am asking for the 2nd best as my budget is not that big and I know exotic components can get out of hand quickly. I also want piston oilers for extra cooling.

HILROD
04-09-2006, 07:16 AM
I am building a 350 for boost and am going to O-ring the block. The last one I did I wasn't happy with the water sealing with the copper head gaskets. Now you can get ones with embossed sealer from SCE. My problem is my current engine is an original DZ 302 block stroked to 350 that I don't want to deck and o-ring. FRANK

flynbyu82
04-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Define 'crazy #s'? A GM block isn't going to hold much past 700 RWHP which is plenty for the street but an aftermarket blcok can easily hold way past that...

For a STREET car, your going to want to keep the compression around 8-9 CR, 8.5 ideal so your engine isn't too much of a pig without boost. You're going to want to get an all forged bottom end with good bolts to match. Good flowing heads are a must, and with FI you're probly going to want to look into companies that make intakes for SBC like Hogans and such.

In all it's going to take a lot of planning and researching, go out and buy Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" to get yourself some education on the topic.

mikejkd1
04-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the book. I am loking for above 1000 hp. A little history on my car, I have had it since high school(15 years ago) and

mikejkd1
04-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Don't know what happened, (pick up from last post)every time I look behind the shed I think it should be something. I have the means to do it know and instead of the M5 that I am thinking of I might just do that car instead. So M5 or the Chevy? I can put about 50k into it but would love the new M5. I am a Master craftsmen woodworker and have a full metal shop to "play" so I have the means to do it.

flynbyu82
04-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, if your willing to put the time and money into your car... here's my recommendations...

First, get a shortblock from http://dynoflow.substorm.com/. Get a 355-406 shortblock with a 8.5 compression ratio and upgraded bolts. Slap on some AFR 210cc heads and a cam with around 250/[email protected] with around .600/.600 lift. Any cam company should help you pick out a cam once your to that point. Someone else is going to have to help you with the EFI, I'm doing blowthrough because of budget issues. Next, I'd recommend either twin 62-1s or ~ a single 88mm turbo. Both leave you room to grow with your 1000hp goal. Since there isn't much 'bolt on' kits for sbcs, your going to most likly have to fabricate headers, and both your hot and cold side. To give you an idea on how much boost your going to need, 14.7psi @ 100% efficiency (most cars run around 85%) should double a engines horsepower. Since your engine probly won't make much more than 450hp alone, your probly going to need 20psi to get you to your goal.

If you don't mind me asking, what car is this going into? Your turbo setup and engine will probly put you well into the mid teens and you also have to keep in mind that your driveline has to handle all of this power. It's definitly doable but it will take time and lots of money to have it done right. An M5 is in incredible car; Beamers are definitley a smart route to go. My Parents have owned 3 and about to buy their third. It's going to be hard to find a high horsepower turbo car to get a chance to drive, but testdrive an M5 and see what you think and mybe some high HP turbo guys might chime in and give you their opinions. I will say that you'll have to put in a lot of hours to have a reliable 1000hp street car. You'll have to half throttle it around town in order to keep it in one peice :hammer: :hammer:

Goodluck though, turbos are definitly the way to go :cool: :cool:

mikejkd1
04-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Its a 68 Camaro. I am having a hard tie deciding because I went fo a est drive in the M5 and it was incredible. I have to also mention that I drive a Dodge Ram Diesel with 550hp and I can not have a car that the truck will beat. I am leaning towards the BMW but do not want to be "that guy". I would prefer an old car that looks semi stock but can rip with the new stuff. With that being said I think it will be hard to match the luxury and performance of the M5.