PDA

View Full Version : Media blast...now what ??

DRJDVM's '69
04-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm getting ready to media blast my car and wanted to get a plan on what to do after I get it back.

I've also been researching epoxy primer vs self etch primer and which is better for bare metal.

I'm planning on using etch primer to seal up the metal, but havent decided on which brand.... I'm leaning towards PPG.

So.... should I run a DA over it ?? Which grit ??

Then how should I prep/clean the metal before spraying the primer ?? Wax and grease remover, paint thinner ??

I want to do this right the first time.......

74Novasteve
04-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah I'd really like to hear this too. My Nova's about to be shipped out to the blasters as well. Don't want to have to do it twice!

stewy
04-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Well I guess it depends on the grit media being used. If you can rub a shop rag over it and it leaves visable lint attached, then it is too coarse of a surface to just lay down a sealer (unless you want to waste alot of sealer). I would recomend going over as many large flat panels as possible with a 180 grit, then lay a direct to metal sealer/primer.

indyjps
04-08-2006, 07:50 AM
if you have a painter picked out get their opinion, good painters have a method for a reason and many times they will redo what youve done to ensure a good paint job. if youre planning to shoot it yourself talk to your paint store guy and he will keep you straight as far as what metal prep and sealer you should start with depending on what top coats youre using. these guys deal with paint 8 hrs a day, pick their brain.

Gordz32
04-20-2006, 12:25 PM
After mediablast, take it to 180 grit, and either a self-etch or an epoxy will work, I like working with epoxy b/c of its corrosion resistance. I know PPG self-etch primer is DPX171 and there epoxy primer is DPLF

DJW32
04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
***Not to steal the thread***...but
Gordz32,
How long can you store a car that has been media blasted and sprayed with epoxy primer? If it helps, I live in southern california. thanks

Gordz32
04-20-2006, 01:32 PM
epoxy primer has great corrosion protection, If the car is stored in a dry place out of the elements you won't see a problem for a long time. But as with any primer, if you leave it outside in the elements, your gonna eventually see some rust. But with epoxy it will take much longer. For example, my buddy had a 86 camaro he bought for $100, took it down to bare metal, and its been sitting outside for a year with 2 coats of a self-etch primer, and now its got alot of surface rust to the point where he has to take it down again.