PDA

View Full Version : LS1 Rear Brackets

johnm
10-12-2004, 10:04 AM
I know this is on the board somewhere, still searching. But does anyone know what side the LS1 rear brackets need to come from for the conversion to a GM 10 bolt rear end.

John

RobM
10-12-2004, 12:25 PM
i think the stock brackets bolt right up?

68BNUT
10-12-2004, 12:27 PM
http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html You want the RH brackets and calipers for the stagered shocks, I got lucky and my shocks have already been moved to the inside of the leafs so mine truly was a direct bolt on

johnm
10-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Sorry, guess I should clarify a little, this is for a 78 Trans Am. This article is for a first generation car. Is the application going to be the same?

John

yody
10-12-2004, 11:23 PM
I have one right hand bracket brand new wiht the ebrake assembly on it for sale. I actually used 2 left sides on my second gen.

johnm
10-14-2004, 08:25 AM
Little Bit of a bump, but if I need to put the LS1 rear brakes on my 1978 Trans am, can I use the left and right assemblys from the factory of a LS1 car, or will one side not work...and why?

John

68BNUT
10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
The reason You may have to use the two of the same bracket is if your shocks are outside your leaf springs you wont have enough room to get the calipers in there. On one of the sides anyways Actually I think a chevy ten bolt never really changed that article may work for what your trying to do.

nancejd
10-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Is there a reason you couldn't just reclock the calipers?

68BNUT
10-15-2004, 06:46 AM
IN reclock? do you mean turn them 180?? If so then your bleed screw would be on the bottom and air would get caught in the calipers when you were trying to bleed them. Thats why it says to get 2 of the same side so when your flip it the bleed screw is on the top.

nancejd
10-15-2004, 11:09 AM
No, I was thinking of reclocking them say 30 degrees so they would clear the shock absorbers. Basically, I have a takeoff set of calipers from a 2002 TA, including the old axles stubs. I'll be ordering a rearend, so I can have anything I need customized, so I could either reclock the calipers, or maybe I could just have the shocks mount inboard of the springs, although i would assume that I would have to relocate the upper mounts as well then. I'm wondering how much intereferance there actually is.

rwhite_692
11-03-2004, 12:14 PM
For my 69 camaro, I decided to modify the drivers side LS1 (98-up FBody) backing plate/caliper mount to put the caliper at about the 10-o-clock position. Photos of it at the link below...

nancejd
11-03-2004, 07:35 PM
That's sort of what I'm thinking, but if I'm ordering a new rearend, I fgured I could just have the housing ends rotated in relation to the rest of the case.

rwhite_692
11-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Yep, Rotating the housing ends I guess adds some flexibility to the picture, but, wouldn't change the fact that the e-brake pull lever needs to be (pretty much) located at the bottom, with the pull direction going forward, and, if the desired brake caliper mount location (which is integral to the backing plate) is to be forward of the axle, to avoid the driver's side shock, then the backing plate would still need to be modified (as I did) or, use a passenger side backing plate (as some have done) with the parking brake guts turned around.